Status
Not open for further replies.

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
Hey all,

So I've just relapsed on smoking cigarettes. I've been 6 months smoke free and started vaping about almost a year ago. I picked one up as soon as I turned 18. I was a 2 pack a day Red smoker starting when I was 15 up until I was 18. I started mainly just because of a stupid youth decision, but regardless I just finished a whole cigarette and feel like smoking another. I picked up my vape and am vaping as I type this, but I feel absolutely terrible and guilty for this short coming. Do y'all have any tips on how to combat the feeling of wanting/needing a cigarette even when you've been vaping? I'm already at a high nicotine level (12mg in an Atlantis 2), but I don't know if that could be the reason.

I appreciate this forum for everything it does and the people in this community.

All perfectly normal feelings, at least in IMHO. I went 6 months vaping only to relapse last month, and now I've gone 3 weeks vaping only again. The more you attempt to "combat the feeling of wanting/needing a cigarette," the more powerful the feeling seems to become. So, for starters, stop fighting the feelings, and just accept that they are there--they were there before you started vaping. Then, think hard about all the reasons you stopped smoking and started vaping in the first place. Are those reasons still valid? If so, then accept that you have a simple choice.

Once you do start solely vaping again; whenever you think about smoking, make a note of how lucky you are to have gotten off cigarettes and back on to vaping. Think about how nice it is to not smell like cigarette smoke, to have a clean car and home, and how nice it is to be free of the negative effects on your health. These thoughts can be powerful positive reinforcements to keep you a proper state of mind during your transition to solely vaping. And, always keep in mind that any feelings of longing for cigarettes is really just junky-thinking.

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
I've been vaping for 3 yrs +, I still smoke an occasional cig. It really bothered me the first time then a good friend told me this.

" You smoked, so what, keep vaping. If you slip you slip but how much would you smoke by not vaping? For every cigarette you don't smoke is a win. Just don't get down about it and give up. Don't focus on the days you haven't smoked, instead focus on how many cigarettes you haven't smoked."

This is what I remember anytime I do light one up, which right now has been quite a while. I'm not advocating anyone to smoke but we all now how it feels. We got how long without one then bam, smoke. Then it's like why start over, that's why most us vape as its worked a lot better than anything else but its not fool proof by any means.

Just keep strong and move on.

This advice has helped me and given me comfort quite a few times to keep on working on myself.

Reactions: papergoblin

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Don't let it wig you out. Dual use. I would let it bother me and would cause this viscous circle of smoking because I was worried I wasn't quitting fast enough. 3 months latter of dual use, I just didn't pick up another smoke.

We all don't quit smoking by picking up a vape immediately. 3 years later, I still want a smoke and think the freshly lit cigarette is one of the best smells on the planet.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hey all,

So I've just relapsed on smoking cigarettes. I've been 6 months smoke free and started vaping about almost a year ago. I picked one up as soon as I turned 18. I was a 2 pack a day Red smoker starting when I was 15 up until I was 18. I started mainly just because of a stupid youth decision, but regardless I just finished a whole cigarette and feel like smoking another. I picked up my vape and am vaping as I type this, but I feel absolutely terrible and guilty for this short coming. Do y'all have any tips on how to combat the feeling of wanting/needing a cigarette even when you've been vaping? I'm already at a high nicotine level (12mg in an Atlantis 2), but I don't know if that could be the reason.

I appreciate this forum for everything it does and the people in this community.

Don't kick yourself too much RebornLincoln06. This Forum is Full of people who Didn't Completely Switch the first time they tried.

The Key is to Not to get Bogged Down in what happened in the Past. But to Concentrate on what you are Doing Today.

---

When I switch, I had a Rough Time. And sometimes the Cravings seemed to Consume Me. What I did was keep a 36mg/ml Carto just for those Really Rough Times.

When the Cravings got Unbearable, I would pull out my "Break Glass incase of an Emergency" 36mg/ml Carto and take 3 or 4 Big Hits. That seemed to get me thru so I could go back to me Day-2-Day 24mg/ml e-Liquid.

So you might Try getting some Higher Nicotine e-Liquid than you Normally use. And then keep some in a Clearo or Tank for when a Bad Craving Hits.

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
I think we've all had relapses at some point. I've been vaping for 4 years and smoked a cigarette a handful of times. I even bought a pack once because I was really aggravated. I decided that vaping was more flavorful than a cigarette. I also detest ashtrays and messes. :eek:

My advise is don't let this be the end to it all. Think about all the flavors you can get with vaping. With cigarettes you get one flavor and it gets boring after a while.

Smoking was more of a mind thing for me. I think, honestly, it's like that for many. You just have to be strong and decide what is best for you. You started vaping for a reason. Hopefully you can use that same reasoning and overcome.

Good luck!:nun:

RebornLincoln06

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2014
Grapevine, TX
Sorry for the late response, I've been super busy with work and school the past few days. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts, encouragement, and advice. I think i relapsed due to high stress levels. I've gone through about 80ml's of juice in the past 3-4 days and it has worked. Haven't touched a cigarette. I ended up dropping my nicotine to 6mg and am pretty much running it on everything I own. I use regularly an eVic VT, a series box mod and manhattan with troll RDA mod. I couldn't imagine a better time to get into vaping then when I did. I can't even comprehend how anybody was able to quit with Blu, cigalikes, etc.

Reactions: AndriaD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread