Jail time or punishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
If there is a complete ban on e-cigarette juice and appliances and you get caught vaping is there going to be any legal ramifications? I can't imagine going to jail for an e-cigarette but there's no telling these days. I always wanted to be an outlaw anyway. So the question is are we breaking the law I'm a little confused I'm sorry

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
I guess you're right but it still makes me a nervous wreck.
I hate that anyone has to even pose the question.

I pray I don’t have to eat crow later, but I encourage you to play it out in your mind the logistics of a total prohibition. I’m sorry you’re so worried about it. I’m a total worry wort but I’m not concerned about this at all. :)

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Are FDA-based congressional laws even binding on you in Puerto Rico? How much overlap there is...is based on exact constitutional agreements, as I understand it. So you're a citizen, and in a territory, but you have a lot of autonomy with local laws. Sometimes that doesn't work to your advantage, but other times...like this....it might.

Sorry for the ignorance.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
If there is a complete ban on e-cigarette juice and appliances and you get caught vaping is there going to be any legal ramifications? I can't imagine going to jail for an e-cigarette but there's no telling these days. I always wanted to be an outlaw anyway. So the question is are we breaking the law I'm a little confused I'm sorry
So far everything is focusing on manufacturer and sales and it's probably going to stay that way. They would have to have one hell of a justification to actually incarcerate people as criminals. That being said United States is one of the top countries as far as incarcerating their population. The obvious way that they could go about that would be by declaring nicotine an illicit substance. They would not be able to declare things like propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin so they would have to define the nicotine as the illegal agent and then schedule it on their drug schedules. That would immediately make cigarettes lozenges Nicorette the patch Etc illegal substances. They're not going to want to do that especially in regard to cigarettes not only will they have a hell of a fight on their hands because big tobacco does have the money to fight these things but they don't want to lose the mass settlement because if there's no cigarettes being sold because they're now illegal because nicotine is illegal there would be no money for them. The anti-smoking interests would go crazy as well because many of them are also funded by cigarette sales. So I do not see that occurring and it would be difficult for them to justify any other aspect of vaping as an illegal activity because there's just too many ties to other Industries so I imagine it would have to be nicotine itself and I just don't see that happening. Now I can see them deciding that a certain amount of do-it-yourself product is manufacturing or intent to sell if there is a total Ejuice ban.. oh and on top of that you would also have farmers and big Pharmaceutical protesting because they also make money off tobacco while I certainly don't agree that anything like that should happen it would actually be based on actually caring about the health of people rather than money so I don't think there's any chance of anything like that happening LOL

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
71148165_2604298483169632_5071485417337913344_n.jpg

Michigan's flavored vape ban stops sales this week. Here's what you need to know.

Q: What's the penalty for selling flavored vapes?
A: Violating the rules of the ban could result in a misdemeanor, punishable by up to 6 months in prison or a fine of up to $200 or both.

Sales of flavored vape products will be punished on a cumulative per-item, per-transaction basis.

Violations of the advertising ban are calculated daily, with each 24-hour period counting as a separate violation.​

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
Are FDA-based congressional laws even binding on you in Puerto Rico? How much overlap there is...is based on exact constitutional agreements, as I understand it. So you're a citizen, and in a territory, but you have a lot of autonomy with local laws. Sometimes that doesn't work to your advantage, but other times...like this....it might.

Sorry for the ignorance.
All federal government law applies to territory always has always will. Ever since 1898, Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders versus the Spanish troops
United States troops led by General Nelson miles Landing in Ponce. Ever since it's considered American territory and property. There's nothing ignorant about that question

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
A vape ban would be against those who sell the product. Once you own it no one is going to come after you for possession. Buy enough hardware and whatever else you need before a ban starts (if it happens).

I wonder when they are going to take away all the cars because of all the deaths? There's no deaths caused so far by vaping the right way.

how many people die in auto accidents yearly - Bing

How many people die in car accidents?
Average number of car accidents in the .U.S. every year is 6 million. More than 90 people die in car accidents everyday. Around 2 million drivers in car accidents experience permanent injuries every year. Seatbelts reduce the risk of death by 45%. Seatbelts cut the risk of serious injury by 50%.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
All federal government law applies to territory always has always will. Ever since 1898, Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders versus the Spanish troops
United States troops led by General Nelson miles Landing in Ponce. Ever since it's considered American territory and property. There's nothing ignorant about that question
Thanks, very kind. But it was/is ignorant on my part, I should pay closer attention. We've [those of us in the OUTSIDE] have had discussions about this. Seems like it was about representation in congress, or making PR a state. And disaster relief. Don't want to derail this thread though.

But...
"You guys" get screwed, kind of, in that you don't have full representation in congress, but are subject to the laws. So here's some federal vape-ban [and without debate as to actual intent or implementation for this post] that is ostensibly intended to be "good for all", so I suppose it makes some sense that it would apply to all territories too.

Then again, the states, even though they do have full representation, are always debating "State's Rights!" vs the Fed too. So I guess it's the perpetual struggle no matter how we look at it.

I just seem to remember that territories could have their own constitutions, and don't necessarily get bound by all US laws even at the fed level. But it would make sense that FDA stuff is uniform across all.

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
Thanks, very kind. But it was/is ignorant on my part, I should pay closer attention. We've [those of us in the OUTSIDE] have had discussions about this. Seems like it was about representation in congress, or making PR a state. And disaster relief. Don't want to derail this thread though.

But...
"You guys" get screwed, kind of, in that you don't have full representation in congress, but are subject to the laws. So here's some federal vape-ban [and without debate as to actual intent or implementation for this post] that is ostensibly intended to be "good for all", so I suppose it makes some sense that it would apply to all territories too.

Then again, the states, even though they do have full representation, are always debating "State's Rights!" vs the Fed too. So I guess it's the perpetual struggle no matter how we look at it.

I just seem to remember that territories could have their own constitutions, and don't necessarily get bound by all US laws even at the fed level. But it would make sense that FDA stuff is uniform across all.
We do have a constitution. The US constitution has supreme rule though. I do believe every other state has their own Constitution. But that don't mean you can violate federal law. You're right this is a state rights issue. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this shakes out. You're right we do have a resident commissioner in Congress. The resident commissioner can bring up a bill for a vote however the resident commissioner cannot vote on it. So that's where we sit. The independence versus statehood argument may never be settled. I'm a pro state. These people couldn't operate a pay toilet without proper supervision. That's why we have a federal control board. They are handling all of the Island's financial needs. This is all because of the corruption. But everybody that lives here is just as American as anybody that lives in the 50. Depending on who you talk to.

Last edited:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Oh well 3 hots and a cot plus free health care. JUST KIDDING

And you will be in a completely safe environment with benevolent care provided and controlled by the government twenty-four hours a day, what could go wrong?
:lol::toast:

PS I, too, am just kidding.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
But everybody that lives here is just as American as anybody that lives in the 50. Depending on who you talk to.
Not "depending". More like "are/is". By law. Period.
:)

That may or may not be a complement right now. Depending on who you talk to. ;) :D :lol:
But we'll get over it soon I hope.

(I crack me up)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I could see little fish getting the opportunity of a day in jail in order to catch bigger fish but a) I am into dystopian futures OMG I HAVE TO WRITE THE BOOK ABOUT DYSTOPIAN FUTURES (I have like 5 really GOOD ideas) that doesn't suck!!

Only right now I have no time for anything and I feel like I'm gonna die.

I think the age of vape possession leading to jail is kind of far off but really I got NO CLUE. This society has become so weird, I can no longer make ANY predictions although.... IDK.

I don't vape outside my house or car, as I have said. There is some slight paranoia but it's more about people I know seeing me vape. I see coworkers and clients all over the place. Heh.

Anna

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
But that don't mean you can violate federal law. You're right this is a state rights issue.

If we have learned one thing from the whole legalization of MJ it's that States apparently DO have the power to legalize something banned at the Federal level. Specifically the FDA lists MJ as a Schedule I Controlled Substance which is what makes it illegal at the Federal Level. Yet, States have passed and continue to pass laws making MJ legal for various purposes within their borders. So, it stands to reason that an enlightened State could also pass a law making eLiquid flavors and vaping hardware legal within their borders despite any ban or rule put forth by the FDA. Of course this could only happen in States that are not dependent on the Tobacco Settlement money and would likely require a push from it's citizens, so I would not hold my breath for this to happen. Legally it seems possible though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread