Japan crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
I'm sure everyone knows about the tragedies unfolding in Japan and some would like to help in whatever way we can. Please, if you choose to donate money, do so directly through reputable disaster organization!

I have seen something that disturbs and greatly offends me as a member of this vaping community, and hope to not see it as a trend. Suppliers, I'm asking you not to take advantage of this horrid situation to sell your products by offering a small percentage of sales to be donated to charities.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I agree to make sure the organization is reputable, unfortunately there are many scams that advantage of this type of situation but I don't put the situation you listed as one of them.

I don't know which supplier your speaking of but companies have been doing this for ages. Grocery store chains, restaurants, local businesses, etc many times will take a percentage of sales and designate it for donation. I've known some of them to match a percentage of the donation themselves.

Now if one is unsure of that companies truthfulness to do this I would investigate further but as far as the practice of doing it, it's been happening for ages in many different areas of business.

PastaMonster

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Arizona
Freedomsmoke USA is offering a 20% discount and 10% of the order goes to Japan, plus they'll match it. I don't think they're doing it to take advantage of the situation. I honestly think they felt the need to help. I mean they could just as easily continue their other sales they have frequently. What's wrong with using a sale in order to raise some money for people that need it?

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
This is "Corporate Citizenship" from the company. It's a common business practice, and if you believe the company is responsible/legit, it's OK IMO to support them. I wouldn't chastise a company for wanting to help.

Some scammers use this technique to increase volume. But as long as you are dealing with a known company, that you trust, and believe will legitimately donates a percent of sales... why not?

More power to em for being responsible "corporate citizens".

Last edited:

daisyd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2010
Az
Trust me FSUSA is not using this to increase sales. They just did a huge sale last weekend for their anniversary. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever purchased from them when they aren't having a sale. The only difference here is they are donating some of it to a good cause, and matching it to boot. They are a great company whose intentions, I believe, are good.

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
I agree to make sure the organization is reputable, unfortunately there are many scams that advantage of this type of situation but I don't put the situation you listed as one of them.

I don't know which supplier your speaking of but companies have been doing this for ages. Grocery store chains, restaurants, local businesses, etc many times will take a percentage of sales and designate it for donation. I've known some of them to match a percentage of the donation themselves.

Now if one is unsure of that companies truthfulness to do this I would investigate further but as far as the practice of doing it, it's been happening for ages in many different areas of business.

Yes, it is an age old marketing ploy to generate sales for the company. Do the math. Anyone wishing to donate would see more of their hard earned cash go directly to aid if they choose a charity who makes sure at least 90% of your donation goes to your chosen charity. It offends me to see companies profit in these types of situations no matter whether it's huge corporation or a small business.

However or to whomever you choose to donate is up to you, I just like to see the majority of my donation actually going to those who need the help...and Japan needs all the help we can contribute.

PastaMonster

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Arizona
I hardly doubt FSUSA is making a large profit by doing their donation drive. Sure it shouldn't be your only source of donating to Japan if you really want to, but to counter your outrage I think it's commendable that a company will take a hit on profits to help out people. FSUSA makes more money on their normal sales, it isn't about making money.

I do know that some companies are less than ethical in these types of situations, but honestly you're just getting upset over nothing if that's who you're directing your outrage at.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
As long as you see the $$$check being sent to the organization it is all good. I would ask EXACTLY what organization the MONEY is going to. Call that organization and make sure whoever you are donating to that this company has signed up a pledge to donate this percentage of money they say they are donating ! This would be a sure way to find out and make sure the money is going to this organization

If any vendors are doing this than it is an honorable thing to do for sure..!!!

daisyd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2010
Az
The point is not that they are having a sale just to boost their bottom line. Personally, I wouldn't make a special order just because of this sale, but if I was going to I would take advantage of the discount and maybe buy a little more. That goes for any sale though. They are not a charity. They are not claiming to be a charity. Do you run into Safeway and yell at them every time they do one of these promotions? If you do, have someone video it. I would love to see it.

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
Do you run into Safeway and yell at them every time they do one of these promotions? If you do, have someone video it. I would love to see it.

It is worth pointing out that when Safeway or other companies do a fundraiser for a "cause", it is always in conjunction with a known charity, with the charity on scene or providing their information so that the donors know where their money is going. So it is unnecessary to video anyone at Safeway since the Red Cross presence is there, and afterwards the Red Cross will put out a release stating that they got $XXXX from the Safeway fundraiser, so you know that the money you dropped in the can at the register made it to an organization that will do some good for XXXX cause. Essentially, there is oversight with Safeway fundraisers.

daisyd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2010
Az
Point taken, I have not inquired to FSUSA what charity they are donating to, as I am not planning an order with them right now.. I was however curious to see the look on the store manager's face when OP came in and told them how dispicable they are for profiting from someone else's needs. That's why I suggested a camera.

jlarsen

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2011
Helena, MT

I agree, if a forum supplier is advertising to donate a portion of their sales to support Japan, and follow through by actually doing what they promise, I see no harm done.

The only real scam is a company claiming to donate sales, but to not actual do so.

If a company donates a specific percentage of their proceeds, that in fact cuts into their profit margin. So unless they actually see a huge upsurge in sales as a result, it likely doesn't benefit them much.

20% off a product with 10% going to charity is better than 10% going to charity with no savings to the customer, and a match by the company seems to say that it is a more legitimate effort to raise money for the charity and not just a scam (as long as they follow through). But a cap on how much can be generated by purchases and matching combine seems to suggest (to me) that the company plans on donating X amount... but ONLY if 5X is spent on their product. I'd prefer to see the same deal offered with no limit on the total donation - but I can also understand why that might not be feasible to do.

IMHO

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
If Fusha wants to donate money to Japan I see no problem or if they would like to ask for donations to a fund to help those poor unfortunate people in Japan I see no problem with that. But to have a sale on the misfortunes and disasters other people are having to deal with is nothing more than a marketing gimmick and a pretty low one at that. I for one won't be making any orders with them.

Last edited:

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
It is worth pointing out that when Safeway or other companies do a fundraiser for a "cause", it is always in conjunction with a known charity, with the charity on scene or providing their information so that the donors know where their money is going. So it is unnecessary to video anyone at Safeway since the Red Cross presence is there, and afterwards the Red Cross will put out a release stating that they got $XXXX from the Safeway fundraiser, so you know that the money you dropped in the can at the register made it to an organization that will do some good for XXXX cause. Essentially, there is oversight with Safeway fundraisers.
But safeway offers only the place for the fundraiser and don't tie the sale of their products to it.

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
Yoplait does their fundraising for breast cancer in conjunction with the Susan Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. There is a big difference between making donations through a soup company or a yogurt company in conjunction with an charitable organization filing documents with the IRS and handing money to someone who says it'll go to someone who needs it if you give them some, too.

Everyone should follow their conscience and donate their money to where they believe it will do the most good. As someone else said, if you needed juice then it would be better than nothing. But if you don't need any type of supplies, better to hand $20 to a bonafide relief agency than to spend $20 unnecessarily so Japanese relief efforts can maybe get $2.

Levitas

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis
You know what, I'd say it ultimately depends on the product. Let's think about it. If you were in a situation where your life just got turned around and you lost everything. Would it bother you that companies are offering to donate a part of each sale to your cause no matter their intentions? I'd bet you wouldn't care where the money came from but rather you just care that it came period. If you were going to purchase juices from a company and they're offering a 20% sale AND offering to give away 10% of their sale to help, who's to say that's wrong? That's nothing but right in my book.

Now perhaps it might be considered unethical. Profiteering off of others suffering. I can see that with those who buy a Help Japan bumper sticker and the sales man kept 90% of the profit while only 10% made it to actually help Japan. Yeah, that's wrong. But when a company steps up that's offering products that we as consumers would've bought anyways i.e. e-juice, yogurt, ANYTHING!, can we not appreciate the fact that those in need are getting additional help because of our already normal purchase? I believe so. Anyways 20% off, and 10% going to Japan, thumbs up FreedomSmokeUsa, I am looking at your products right now and will be making a sale. Any help is good help.

jlarsen

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2011
Helena, MT
Yoplait does their fundraising for breast cancer in conjunction with the Susan Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. There is a big difference between making donations through a soup company or a yogurt company in conjunction with an charitable organization filing documents with the IRS and handing money to someone who says it'll go to someone who needs it if you give them some, too.

Not really. If you don't purchase yoplait, they don't donate. Their donation is based on the number of purchases made, it is virtually the same thing.

Edwv30

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Saint Augustine, Florida
This is truly upsetting. A company shouldn't use such a tragic situation to draw in revenue and that's exactly what's going on here. FSUSA is not donating 10% of anything nor are they "matching" anything....the customer is.

A 10ml bottle of juice costs less that $1.00 to make and FSUSA charges $6.00 per bottle...that's a 600% profit, (if we use $1.00 but I am sure it costs them much less). So, they are offering 20% off which brings the prices down to $4.80. Now...here is what people are missing...FSUSA states they will contribute 10% of the final cost, (i.e. $4.80), so they now "contribute" 48 cents. Oh yes...almost forgot..they will also "match" this 10 % of the final cost so that brings their total match to 96 cents for every $6.00 bottle sold.

Now...let's look at the numbers. The buyer pay's $4.80 after the 20% discount and FSUSA matches 96 cents. $4.80 -.96 = $3.84. Not bad....they are still making almost 400% profit and getting new orders that they wouldn't have otherwise and they haven't had to pay one cent. The customer has paid everything.

If you want to donate to the cause send that $6.00 to a legitimate charity organization. Your $6.00 will go further than the $2.16 made from this "sale."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread