JonboyUSMC's Lava Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonboyusmc

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2010
Illinois
tanks are all machined up, just waiting for the ce2's to show up. After I get them assembled, I do a 24 hour leak test on them with water. Then they'll be ready to go. These are the best tanks I've made to date. I went the extra mile, to make sure that there weren't any sharp edges exposed, and did a really nice blend of 2 curves on the top cap. I really hope you like them.

jonboyusmc

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2010
Illinois
I've got 30 of them sitting here. I'm going to re-size the tanks tomorrow. I don't think they'll leak, but I'm not going to take a chance on it. The inside diameter is hit or miss on the tubing, but my supplier covers his ... by only guaranteeing +/- .040". I like my tanks to be at .750" +.005" -0. I found a way to re-size them and it works perfectly, without making it an overly tight fit. I also bored the hole where the ce2 fits this time, instead of just drilling them. Should make changing the ce2 less of a PITA. I'm anxious to see how well the R5's work in my tank. I've got an R4 that is over 2 months old. and still going strong. Only problem is the wicks are starting to fall to pieces. Atty still vapes like a champ.

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
Polycarbonate (lexan) is not the greatest in terms of chemical resistance, especially when you add heat to an enviornment.

It's known chemical resistance to oil of cloves is poor. Delrin is pretty good, although the co-polymer is better. I have experienced more than my fair share of disasters with Lexan in the field. IMHO, the major problem with cracking of the Clearomizers is caused by the wrong choice of plastic, which appears to be a styrene.

http://www.gallinausa.com/pdfs/polycarb.chemical.resistance.pdf

You might be better off trying a PET. Would hate to see a nice idea not work.

jonboyusmc

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2010
Illinois
I have a minor SNAFU, at the moment. I ordered 30 ce-2s, and only received 5. I will be going down the list in the order I got PM's. I will have the first 5 done later on this evening. I hopefully can get the rest of the carts expedited, and get everyone on the list. If there is still alot of interest, I will run another batch. Since this industry seems to change on a daily basis ,I only run small lots. I really don't want to carry a large inventory of them, and then have them become obsolete in a week.

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
OK, I've had few PM's to make some more of my tank mods. I'm going to post up a couple of sample pics and if there is enough interest, I'll order up some materials and get to work.
Those that don't know me, I am a master toolmaker with over 25 years of machining experience. My tanks are made with top food-grade delrin end caps, and thick walled lexan tubing. They are also 100% CNC machined, to very tight tolerances. I tried to design these to be indestructible and completely user serviceable.
These ARE a mod, and with that said, it does take a few tools and a little mechanical experience to change the cartridge. They are a TIGHT fit, to keep them leak free. I'll say that again, they are a TIGHT fit.:-x:-x:-x

Here's some pics. The new ones will have the top cap like the one in picture #2. The one in pic number 2 is stainless steel and not for sale. That's my personal tank, and she's a one of a kind. The next batch will be made with the top cap, that will accept any drip tip you care to put on it. This also gives you the option to fill with a syringe. I don't supply drip tips, since there are so many cool ones to choose from out there.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I sell these for $35 shipped. Like I said if there's enough interest, I'll go ahead and make 30 or 40. Send me a PM, or reply to this thread if you're interested.

Thanks for taking the time to look,
Jon

What tools are needed to change the cartridge?

jonboyusmc

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2010
Illinois
Patiently waiting

Thanks for being patient. I for one am growing more impatient everyday. Tracking says that the ce2s were processed on the 19th, yet they're still not in my mail box. Anyway, here's a pic that I took with my phone. A whole table full of tanks, just waiting for cartos to go in them.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread