Just For LM2596 Users

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the LM2596, I have been using this newer model that has the holes for the trigger switch. You can use any switch and not restricted to high amps.

New LM2596HV LM2596S DC DC Step Down CC CV Adjustable Power Supply Module | eBay

Just wire the switch to the off/on holes.

I ordered a 10 pack of these when I saw this post. I had been doing the "lift pin 5" trick previously on fasttech 2596 boards. I got these in, and they were a TAD bit bigger then the boards I have been using, but I figured it was a small price to pay to not have to lift pin 5. Now mind you, I've only tested 1 board so far, but it seems the on/off holes do NOTHING... no voltage between the holes, no continuity, either.If you bridge them, the board puts out, and if you DON'T bridge them, the board puts out... The hole closest to the input side DOES seem to have continuity to IN-(ground) and pin 3, and the one closest to the output has continuity to pin 5. Long story short, I connected a 330 ohm 1/8w resistor between pin 5 (no need to lift it, if you do, it doesn't work) and IN+, and connected my momentary N.O. to the on/off holes, and it works fine now.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
I ordered a 10 pack of these when I saw this post. I had been doing the "lift pin 5" trick previously on fasttech 2596 boards. I got these in, and they were a TAD bit bigger then the boards I have been using, but I figured it was a small price to pay to not have to lift pin 5. Now mind you, I've only tested 1 board so far, but it seems the on/off holes do NOTHING... no voltage between the holes, no continuity, either.If you bridge them, the board puts out, and if you DON'T bridge them, the board puts out... The hole closest to the input side DOES seem to have continuity to IN-(ground) and pin 3, and the one closest to the output has continuity to pin 5. Long story short, I connected a 330 ohm 1/8w resistor between pin 5 (no need to lift it, if you do, it doesn't work) and IN+, and connected my momentary N.O. to the on/off holes, and it works fine now.

That is strange I have built 5 mods with that board and just wired a switch to the two holes and they work fine.

It's weird... it could just be a "one off". I should grab some alligator clip jumpers, and throw the other 9 all on a breadboard, but I don't know when I'l get around to it. To be honest, I wasn't that broken up about soldering in a resistor. They are something I have on hand. It just would have been cool if it wasn't a surprise as I was building a mod... :p

Okay a bit off topic but, I have a feeling someone here can point me in the right direction. I am looking for info on current limiting so I can use a tactical switch. Can anyone tell me where to find info or how to go about it? Thank you in advance.

Are you talking about using a tactile switch with LM2596 regulator boards, or like, using a MOSFET so you can use a tactile switch on straight battery mods?

I'm looking at picking several of these boards up. Is there any reason Nimh rechargables would not work? Most can safely put 8 to 10 amps out? I have lithiums that I could use but I like nimh better. Thanks
No, these will pretty much work with anything that can support the amp draw... Nicads, NiMH, car batteries, sealed acid gel cells, high amp fixed dc power supplies, larger solar arrays, ect. You just need to make sure that whatever source you choose to power this is at least 1.5 volts more than your desired max voltage output, and that it can cover a 3 amp draw safely.

Thanks RDJ. One more question before I buy this. These are step down converters. Why wouldn't I want to buy a step up boost?
I've made some nimh mods in the past and just varied the voltage by putting in or removing batts.
Thanks in advance for the knowledge

LM2596 boards:
1. Cheap as heck... $2 each from fasttech, or $1.50 each on ebay! (in lots for 5 or 10)
2. They work extremely well
3. The circuit is already designed and built. It's almost a drop-in

Boost boards:
1. the ones in a similar price range to the LM2596 simply don't work well for our purposes. The most common is the LM2577 board. They cost about double the price of the LM2596, and the minimum boost is 2 volts higher than the input.. if you are looking for 5.5v mods, perfect!
2. The "boost" converter that most people seem to use the texas instruments PTN04050C. It has a few issues/limitations, though. You have to build the circuit yourself, and it's rated at 2.4a/12w... The humble LM2596 board is rated at a full 3 amps! Also, these are spendy... like $15+. T.I. has a sample program (or at least they used to) where you can get a couple for free.
3. The BEST boost regulators are REALLY spendy compared to the LM2596, but are awesome to work with. They include the "Vamo guts" boards at $20, DNA12 at $35, and DNA20D at around $50. and that's JUST for the board! I can build a whole mod with an LM2596 board for half the price of "Vamo guts"! (free discarded mint tin, $2 connector, $1 button, $1.50 LM2596 board, $1-2 battery holder, $2 worth of glue/solder/wire... that thar be a mod!)

Ebred

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2013
Attleboro, Ma
Awesome thanks for the info. I looked more into the step ups and yea too pricey. My main goal is to make a good vape for as cheap as possible and post instructions on how to make it. My other goal is to have anyone with basic ability and a minimal tool kit able to make this mod for under $10.00 with things found commonly in most houses.
Thank you for your input, much appreciated.

disturbed1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2012
CT
I have read this hole thread and I have to tell ya my head hearts. :blush:. I have never made anything like this before and am a complete noob. this board looks to be what I'm looking for but I have no clue on how to wire it. I understand the bower in power out part. Its just everything in between that I get lost. switches, buttons, kill switch, volt meter switch. Hell I don't even know what the diffidence between a tac switch and a not tac switch is. Part of my problem is I cant read a diagram vary well so all thees great drawing are lost on me.

This is the board I was looking at. I wonted to make a few mods for some friends for X-miss and was just hoping for help before I pull the trigger on thees.

1x DC DC LM2596 Power Step Down Converter Module Red LED Voltmeter 4 0 40V | eBay

Any help I can get is much appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Oh and if there is a better option for this board let me know.

Last edited:

kaddigart

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2013
Insomniville
I was going to keep this find to myself, but swell guy that I am, I can't help but share with the community that has shared so much with me. Plus, how many LM2596's can one need anyway?

Available in lots of 5, free shipping in the US, US seller, $8.25. That's $1.65 each, not too shabby, especially for US citizens that will get them in less than a week with no shipping charge.

kaddigart

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2013
Insomniville
okay I got my layout all set with the help of a friend. now to go shopping. Can any one tell me what faster Hong Kong or China for shipping?

Um, look up above your post....you mean faster than, right?

Everything else you can find domestically as well. Look to eBay, Mouser and LED-Switch.com for good prices. The key to eBay is using the Free Shipping and US only filters.

WolfeTX

Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
whitney, texas
Hello, 98 pages so maybe this has been asked but ill ask again.
Will this item
5pcs LM2596 DC DC Converter Step Down Adjustable Power Supply Module | eBay

Work with this power supply?
AC 100 240V to DC 12V 6A Power Supply Converter Adapter for LED Lights Strips US | eBay

6amp isnt to much for that board?
Could some one recommend a small voltmeter to add to it (us seller please)

Also a simple wire diagram would be awesome for where to put a horn switch and the voltmeter.

i mainly vape at my desk and i am looking to make a vape station with that power supply inside it with 4 power jacks on the from to plug in wired mods to.

Thanks for any help!

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Hello, 98 pages so maybe this has been asked but ill ask again.
Will this item
5pcs LM2596 DC DC Converter Step Down Adjustable Power Supply Module | eBay

Work with this power supply?
AC 100 240V to DC 12V 6A Power Supply Converter Adapter for LED Lights Strips US | eBay

6amp isnt to much for that board?
Could some one recommend a small voltmeter to add to it (us seller please)

Also a simple wire diagram would be awesome for where to put a horn switch and the voltmeter.

i mainly vape at my desk and i am looking to make a vape station with that power supply inside it with 4 power jacks on the from to plug in wired mods to.

Thanks for any help!

Yes it will work just fine. Nothing is too much, the board draws what it needs and it is better to have some reserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread