Status
Not open for further replies.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
You guys are very helpful. But the more questions I ask, the more confused I am.

Everyone says I should use cartomizers. I don't see that listed at the vendor I was planning to order from. Of course, I'm not at all tied down to that vendor, but I don't know where to go to get cartomizers and drip-tips for the ego Mega. Should I get away from the ego Mega and order some other type in order to get something that uses cartomizers?

I don't understand the stuff about the passthrough battery charger. The charger won't work with the batteries I'll be using, but if I use it as a passthrough it will work? I don't grok that.

I like the idea of a sample pack of smoke juice to try some different flavors - but 11mg is low, and I think I need to stat out with something more in the 24mg range, with the idea that later, once I've gotten used to using a vaporizer, that I'll move to a lower mg.

cartriges vs cartomizers, passthroughs, flavors, high/variable voltage...

I'm starting to think that this is more complicated than I can deal with.

I know that I can't afford to go out and spend $150 to get set up, and then decide that I need something different and do it again the next week, and the next, until I figure out what the heck all this stuff means.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
You guys are very helpful. But the more questions I ask, the more confused I am.

Everyone says I should use cartomizers. I don't see that listed at the vendor I was planning to order from. Of course, I'm not at all tied down to that vendor, but I don't know where to go to get cartomizers and drip-tips for the ego Mega. Should I get away from the ego Mega and order some other type in order to get something that uses cartomizers?

I don't understand the stuff about the passthrough battery charger. The charger won't work with the batteries I'll be using, but if I use it as a passthrough it will work? I don't grok that.

I like the idea of a sample pack of smoke juice to try some different flavors - but 11mg is low, and I think I need to stat out with something more in the 24mg range, with the idea that later, once I've gotten used to using a vaporizer, that I'll move to a lower mg.

cartriges vs cartomizers, passthroughs, flavors, high/variable voltage...

I'm starting to think that this is more complicated than I can deal with.

I know that I can't afford to go out and spend $150 to get set up, and then decide that I need something different and do it again the next week, and the next, until I figure out what the heck all this stuff means.

You can buy a complete Echo kit with two 1300 mah batt and five 3ml cartomizers for 45.00 at D&B Gold. The battery will hold a charge for 18 hours and the carto will last 12 hours of heavy vaping before needing refilled. It is the best I've found in 19 months of searching for a good PV.Products - D&B Gold

Last edited:

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Wanna give vaping a go for a great price?
Consider one of these:
Boge Revolution V2
1400mah battery
5 Boge Cartos come with it.
Mini USB cable and wall charger included.
Can vape while charging via mini USB port.

I just opened one today and love it so far.
Has everything you need in the box but e-liquid to get a quality impression.

I'd pick up a regular 510 LR atomizer or two and a drip tip to try out with it as well.

It does have a bottom feeder, but you can also screw on cartos loaded with different flavors, or do old-style dripping on atties. With some extensions/adapters could even try giant cartomizers.

The unit is very light and very palm friendly. An all day vape in one little box.

Last edited:

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
You can buy a complete Echo kit with two 1300 mah batt and five 3ml cartomizers for 45.00 at D&B Gold. The battery will hold a charge for 18 hours and the carto will last 12 hours of heavy vaping before needing refilled. It is the best I've found in 19 months of searching for a good PV.Products - D&B Gold

A few posts above, someone suggested only buying from suppliers on the forums list, but searching Forum Suppliers List for "gold" finds nothing. And googling for "D&B Gold vaporizer" isn't very helpful. Interesting, though, is that google links to this thread as it's 6th hit. Impressive that it would find it so fast.

I'm not tied to the ego Mega, and it sounds like maybe that's not what I need. I have seen a lot of "just get an eGo" advice, which is part of how I ended up looking into that one. Mostly, as long as it's a fairly heavy duty, strong battery, kind of thing, I think I'll be okay - as long as it works and I can figure out how to use it. I don't know anything about an Echo.

OK, sorry, all the links pointed me to the thevaporpro for his hardware?

The VaporCast Store currently has the lowest price I've found for the 1000mAH eGo-T USB Passthru: Genuine Joye 1000mAh XL eGo Battery w/USB (510, passthrough) - The VaporCast Store

I actually bought mine from Vixen Vapors 2 weeks ago during their 4th of July sale, but they're out of stock and without the 30% coupon I used, they are more expensive than the VaporCast store. Heaven-gifts also carries this for only $23.50 and has many different colors--they are a great vendor, but they ship from China which means it takes 3-4 weeks for delivery.

lol

That sounds like a very simple, clear, well articulated answer. And I still don't really understand. I guess after I get my first set and start using it, it'll make more sense.

Maybe some pictures will help:
Here's what the "inside" of a typical atomizer looks like:
510AtomizerDetail-251x300.jpg

Notice the steel wool "Bridge" at the top? That absorbs a small amount of e-liquid and wicks it into the coil to be vaporized. Normally you would put a cartridge that is stuffed with polyfill (some people have found other materials that work better: look for "blue foam mod" and "Pyramid Tea bag" mods, if you're curious) to hold more liquid, but if it doesn't allow the liquid to get to the coil fast enough...its just not as "clean" as forgoing the whole thing and just putting 2-4 drops of e-liquid directly into the coil.

On the other hand, here's what the new dualcoil cartomizers look like when taken apart.
smoktech-dual-coil-cartomizer-1.5-ohm-.jpg

With this design you can actually see that there is in fact 2 separate heater coils that are wrapped in the filler material. Some of these can hold up to 2ml of e-liquid so it can last quite a long time before needing to be refilled...and some vendors like the "cartomizer" design because if they don't tell people they can refill it themselves, they'll buy a new one every day.

Sainted_S

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Nether Iceland of NWPA
Here is an example of what you could get at another vendor that would probably be a good set-up for you

Steel T-Rex - 1100mAh 51.99
Boge 510 Cartomizer 2.0 Ohm 7.99
10 -Extra High ejuice 5ml bottles- 18-24 Mg 23.90
5ml syringe w/ blunt 18 gauge needle 1.11
Drip tip 1.99
ego passthrough (backup) 20.79

about 110

That would be a good set up to get you started. Those were prices from liberty flights, but there are many other vendors, but that gives a baseline.
I am not crazy about LF juices, but they are vapable.

After rereading my posts I would add another pack of cartomizers and more juice because of the amount of analogs you are used to smoking and the fact that you said you drive alot. Perhaps even a usb car power adapter just in case you need to charge one of the batteries when away from home.

Just have to add, you said that you don't care what it looks like as long as it works and you don't have to fiddle around with it. With the amount you smoked, I really believe a mod would be your best bet, but that is jumping in with both feet and a bit more money to spend when you're not sure if vaping is for you.

Last edited:

Twisty

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2011
Bridgeton, MO USA
Here is an example of what you could get at another vendor that would probably be a good set-up for you

Steel T-Rex - 1100mAh 51.99
Boge 510 Cartomizer 2.0 Ohm 7.99
10 -Extra High ejuice 5ml bottles- 18-24 Mg 23.90
5ml syringe w/ blunt 18 gauge needle 1.11
Drip tip 1.99
ego passthrough (backup) 20.79

about 110

That would be a good set up to get you started. Those were prices from liberty flights, but there are many other vendors, but that gives a baseline.
I am not crazy about LF juices, but they are vapable.

After rereading my posts I would add another pack of cartomizers and more juice because of the amount of analogs you are used to smoking and the fact that you said you drive alot. Perhaps even a usb car power adapter just in case you need to charge one of the batteries when away from home.

Just have to add, you said that you don't care what it looks like as long as it works and you don't have to fiddle around with it. With the amount you smoked, I really believe a mod would be your best bet, but that is jumping in with both feet and a bit more money to spend when you're not sure if vaping is for you.

Considering how much you smoke I think this set-up is the way to go. Maybe add some more juice. If you try to completely stop cigs right away you will need more juice. Be warned that trying to duplicate the flavor of cigs is futile. Try some of the non-tobacco flavors, you might be surprised. Also in my experience a 30m/l bottle of 24 mg is about the same as one carton of full strength cigs, not 2 or 3.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
A few posts above, someone suggested only buying from suppliers on the forums list, but searching Forum Suppliers List for "gold" finds nothing. And googling for "D&B Gold vaporizer" isn't very helpful. Interesting, though, is that google links to this thread as it's 6th hit. Impressive that it would find it so fast.

I'm not tied to the ego Mega, and it sounds like maybe that's not what I need. I have seen a lot of "just get an eGo" advice, which is part of how I ended up looking into that one. Mostly, as long as it's a fairly heavy duty, strong battery, kind of thing, I think I'll be okay - as long as it works and I can figure out how to use it. I don't know anything about an Echo.

Bill is a member on here and just started the website is why it wasn't showing up. You can PM to order or go through the website. View Profile: BILLB OKC - E-Cigarette Forum His prices are ten to thirty dollars cheaper than some of the bigger sites like Nhaler has the same kit for 65 or 70 dollars. I was just trying to share with you the best price for the Echo. There are also video reviews in the Review forum. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-vapes-beautiful-automatic-mega-fat-batt.html

WVvet

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2011
WV
Don't get frustrated yet! Nothing makes sense till you get your first PV.
I went from a ciggie sized unit to a (regular not mega or tanks) EGO with BOGE cartomizers within two weeks and am super happy. Just get an EGO starter kit (don't worry about xtra batteries and stuff now) and some sample juices (Ditto everyone's suggestion about not getting a lot i.e. 30 ml of a juice until you know if you like it! And get some 24 mg at least to start - I've got about 40 samples and only have one I really like). The cartomizers are a must have for you driving a lot. Those little carts it come with have to be refilled CONSTANTLY which takes both hands. A cartomizer holds a lot of juice and just needs "topped off" with a few drops about once an hour or less. TRUST US ON THIS POINT AT LEAST.
Best of luck and just get an EGO on the way. You will figure it out from there...

KTaylor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2011
Cape Coral, FL
I'm a 3 week newby myself and I'm using a joys ego-t 1000mah USB pass thru. I started with the CE2 cartomizers which were ok. I switched 2 days ago to the dual coil 510 mega cartomizers and am in heaven. They are awesome all the way around. Just don't get frustrated youre about to make a great move off the analogs. Happy vapin!!!

Caver

Jun 24, 2011
Austin, TX
Hey Baldr,

I had a nice long reply all typed up...clicked the wrong thing and lost it all...:facepalm:

Like one of the recent replies, I'm a 3 week newbie. I'm using a regular Joye Ego with a standard atomizer. Most of the time I like to drip. When I'm going to drive I use the cartridges that came in the starter kit and I do just fine. The flavor from the carts isn't as good as dripping, but it works for me for now.

I have a couple of suggestions. Don't worry too much about all the different hardware...cartomizers vs atomizers at the start. The hardware you've chosen is pretty good and should serve very well to introduce you to e-cigs and vaping. Get your basic starter kit with some sample juices and a couple of spare atomizers or whatever the Joye Ego Mega uses. Atomizers and juice are your "consumables" and will need to be replenished or replaced periodically.

Learn how to use the hardware and get a vape that is satisfying to YOU! It will take some practice and experimentation. Don't be discouraged if at first it doesn't satisfy you like a real cig/analog. When I first started, I smoked 4-5 analogs a day while I figured out how to vape and find a good flavor liquid. Now at 3 weeks, without really trying, I'm down to one analog a day and feel like I'll be able to drop that one real soon.

One other suggestion...I see you're in the Dallas area. Go down the the North Texas Vapers section of this forum and look around. I don't think you have enough posts yet to post on that forum, but you can read it and there should be a number of actual stores up there you can visit and talk face to face with someone and have them demonstrate some of this stuff. Just stay away from the mall kiosks and head shops. I was lucky enough to find one shop down here in the Austin area that sells the Joye products. They were more than happy to show me the stuff and answer my questions. Just buy some juice or spare atomizers from them as a thanks. Talking to a real person helped my understanding immensely!

Between that shop and this forum, I think I was able to side step a lot of the cheap, low quality stuff!

Good luck and keep us advised of your progress...:toast:

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Okay, based on advice from the thread, I'm looking at :

(Prices are before the 20% discount, and assuming I can figure out how to get that discount.)

Steel T-Rex - 1100mAh Starter Kit
Electronic Cigarette - Starter Kits - MEGA T-Rex

Comes with
2x Steel 1100mAh Batteries
1x 510 Atomizer
1x LR 510 Atomizer
2x Atomizer Cones
5x Cartridges
1x USB charger
1x Liberty Flights Zippered Carry Case
1x User Manual

And at this point, I'm pretty darn sure I need that user manual. :)

There are two atomizers there, different kinds. I guess that's so you can try both and figure out what you like, and that you'll order more later.

It includes 2 Atomizer cones - I don't think I've heard that term before. I know I don't know what it is.

Do I need to order other atomizers or atomizer cones? Is this OK for a start?

5 cartridges, but from the advice I've been given, I'll mostly be using Cartomizers, which I'll order seperately. Except I can't.

Boge 510 Cartomizer 2.0 Ohm (Black) - 5 Pack. (Out of stock.)
Electronic Cigarette - Cartomizers - Boge Cartomizers

So this is a problem. Lots of you tell me I'll want to use cartomizers, but they don't have them, and none come with the starter kit.

10 -Extra High ejuice 5ml bottles
E Liquid - E Liquid 5ML - VG - Tobaccos
Buying 5ml bottles to get variety without ordering a lot of any one flavor until I know more about what I like.

Another problem, out of stock on the syringe.
5ml syringe w/ blunt 18 gauge needle (Out of stock.)
D.I.Y & Mixing - Pipettes, Syringes & Needles

Drip tip.
Mods - Drip Tips
There are a ton of them listed on that page, and I've no idea which one I should order.

Steel eGo 650mAh Pass-Through Battery
Electronic Cigarette - Pass-throughs - Joye eGo
Must admit, I'm confused about why I'm getting this, what a passthrough does, why I want to buy a 650mah battery, or how I'll charge it.

I'm leaning towards passing on that. In theory, I've got two 1000 mah batteries, I shouldn't need this. At least for now.

If they had everything in stock (they don't) and you guys said "Yes, that sounds like it will get you started", I'd order right now.

But I don't want to order the starter kit without the atomizers, and if I need the syringe to refill then that's a requirement to. Since those are out of stock, that takes this vendor out.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
One other suggestion...I see you're in the Dallas area. Go down the the North Texas Vapers section of this forum and look around. I don't think you have enough posts yet to post on that forum, but you can read it and there should be a number of actual stores up there you can visit and talk face to face with someone and have them demonstrate some of this stuff.

That could be a huge, huge help. If I could see the item, talk to a person face to face, would make a huge difference.

Okay, based on advice from the thread, I'm looking at :

(Prices are before the 20% discount, and assuming I can figure out how to get that discount.)

Steel T-Rex - 1100mAh Starter Kit
Electronic Cigarette - Starter Kits - MEGA T-Rex

Comes with
2x Steel 1100mAh Batteries
1x 510 Atomizer
1x LR 510 Atomizer
2x Atomizer Cones
5x Cartridges
1x USB charger
1x Liberty Flights Zippered Carry Case
1x User Manual

And at this point, I'm pretty darn sure I need that user manual. :)

There are two atomizers there, different kinds. I guess that's so you can try both and figure out what you like, and that you'll order more later.

Sounds like a great start...tho I wouldn't get my hopes up too high about the user manual unless you're good at interpreting "Engrish" ;)

It includes 2 Atomizer cones - I don't think I've heard that term before. I know I don't know what it is.

Do I need to order other atomizers or atomizer cones? Is this OK for a start?

The eGo batteries are fatter than normal cigarettes, so the cones go around the atomizer to give the whole thing a more "finished" look...roughly resembling the size and shape of a cigar, rather than a cigarette. Some people like the way the cone changes the airflow or avoids leaks, but for the most part its just aesthetic to make normal 510 atomizers look like the eGo-T "tankomizers". Its not at all necessary, but it can be helpful.

5 cartridges, but from the advice I've been given, I'll mostly be using Cartomizers, which I'll order seperately. Except I can't.

Don't bother buying any cartridges, you will probably never use them. If I ever run out of liquid (which could happen, I'm starting to run low!), I have a collection of pre-filled cartridges that are still sitting in boxes from various kits that could probably get me through in case of emergencies, but if you really like using cartridges, each atomizer will come with a "blank" cartridge and there are several threads here at ECF with suggestions for filler material--some people swear by the "blue foam mod" and back when I was still messing with them, I found the Pyramid Tea Bag mod to be pretty helpful...but now I mostly just drip or use dualcoil cartomizers.

So this is a problem. Lots of you tell me I'll want to use cartomizers, but they don't have them, and none come with the starter kit.

The advantage of cartomizers is that they are generally cheap enough to be considered "disposable" so you can dedicate a cartridge to one flavor or type of eliquid without fearing that it will mess up the flavor of the next.

I *strongly* recommend you try at least one of the SmokeTech Dualcoil Cartomizers. They just rock.

10 -Extra High ejuice 5ml bottles
E Liquid - E Liquid 5ML - VG - Tobaccos
Buying 5ml bottles to get variety without ordering a lot of any one flavor until I know more about what I like.

Good move. Don't be afraid to venture out of the tobacco flavors or experiment with menthol--even if you don't smoke menthol--I didn't like menthols either, but I've found that I really like fruit flavors to have a touch of menthol to improve the throat hit and make the fruit taste "cold". I'm currently vaping Strawberry Shortcake with light menthol in a dualcoil cartomizer while I wait for my order of Adam's Apple (apple+menthol) and Adam's Sin Apple (apple+cinnamon+menthol) to arrive

Another problem, out of stock on the syringe.
5ml syringe w/ blunt 18 gauge needle (Out of stock.)
D.I.Y & Mixing - Pipettes, Syringes & Needles

Don't sweat it. I've been vaping for a long time and I still haven't gotten around to picking up a syringe to fill cartomizers--I just use a toothpick to pop off the rubber stopper on the top of a cartridge, drip a few drops around the edges (be careful not to drip into the straw as it will just leak through), "shake it like a polaroid picture" to move the liquid to the bottom, then repeat until the filler material is saturated, then I pop on a nice driptip and vape away!

Drip tip.
Mods - Drip Tips
There are a ton of them listed on that page, and I've no idea which one I should order.

Drip tips are used INSTEAD of cartridges. If you buy any drip tips, you won't need any cartridges because that's all a drip tip is: A cartridge with no filler but just a hole that lets you drip onto the atomizer without having to remove the cartridge.

As to which to order? Its mostly about aesthetic, so pick one you think would look good and/or feel nice in your mouth. If you go to a "vape meet" you'll find people passing around their e-cigs and mods, and you can just use your own drip tip to shield yourself from "cooties" ;)

Steel eGo 650mAh Pass-Through Battery
Electronic Cigarette - Pass-throughs - Joye eGo
Must admit, I'm confused about why I'm getting this, what a passthrough does, why I want to buy a 650mah battery, or how I'll charge it.

"How to charge it" is exactly the point of this battery! It has a mini-USB port on the bottom (usually underneath a metal protective cap) that allows you to plug in and keep the battery constantly charging and continue vaping! A 1000mAH eGo passthru battery is my current "main vape"...Its only $22.50 here, and since it doesn't really even need the eGo charger...you could actually get by with just this, you don't even need the rest of the kit!

I'm leaning towards passing on that. In theory, I've got two 1000 mah batteries, I shouldn't need this. At least for now.

Two 1000mAH batteries should last at least all day, that is true...but the added convenience of being able to vape while charging means you really only need ONE passthru battery to do the job of switching between 2 batteries on the charger.

If they had everything in stock (they don't) and you guys said "Yes, that sounds like it will get you started", I'd order right now.

But I don't want to order the starter kit without the atomizers, and if I need the syringe to refill then that's a requirement to. Since those are out of stock, that takes this vendor out.

The syringe isn't necessary. The starter kit probably has stuff in it you won't need, but if this is your first e-cig its probably a good idea to get a kit like that just to have extra "stuff" to try.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Digging through the North Texas Vapers section, I found that Vaporescence has a brick-n-morter shop in Richardson, not far from me. I think I'll head up there tomorrow, and will probably pick up a kit, some juice, etc from them.

Vaporescence - eCigarettes, Accessories, US Made eLiquids

Thanks for all the help. I'm still very confused, but I really appreciate that so many have taken time to help.

And I'll keep watching the thread in case anyone else has advice.

Renrav

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Hello, I'm yet another newbie with yet more advice for you. I'll make this short and sweet though, since I'm still overwhelmed at the amount of information on this site. It all makes more sense once you have the stuff in your hands though. Just order some good batteries to get you started(what you had listed seems great, I would think), and you can try out the other stuff(cartomizers vs cartridges, etc.) fairly cheaply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread