Status
Not open for further replies.

Jewls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2009
NC
I bought 4 packs of these...two packs black and two pack stainless for my tanks. First impressions with the black that I do not have on the stainless is the smell. Upon first opening one from the pack it has that weird chemical smell I used to get from the dekang china juice ..ick..cant vape that stuff. What I did notice was they are made like the gogo cartos in that you can remove the filler easy and wash out. I did this and the taste went away. So I opened up another and removed the filler...the smell is coming from the filler for sure. I rinsed the filler and put it back in filled it up and stuck it on my mini reo....and it vapes beautiful. No nasty taste at all. Anyway enough with my rambling..back to the stainless..they did not have that weird smell so I punched a hole in one and inserted it into a tank..works great. I almost got rid of these but I didnt ..yes I do have to rinse ...but it is easy enough to dry and put back together very quickly. Glad I kept them. Will I order more? Well the jury is still out for me but so far so good.

Jewls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2009
NC
could i be a pest and ask what the easiest way to remove, rinse, and refill these are? sounds like an arduous task, but if it's simple enough, i may give it a shot! thanks :)

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ego-type-models/188388-how-clean-rebuild-gogo-cartomizer.html

This is the same way I cleaned...cant find the video I saw...but this is for a gogo carto that is bigger but built the same. The trick is to find a straw to fit over the inner tube...I used the end of an empty gel pen...worked great.

Last edited:

Jewls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2009
NC
Man I wish I could love these. I'm seriously almost willing to try washing them. I really like the draw on them. But that taste kills me. It's strange how not everyone seems to experience it. pbusardo mentions it in his review comparing these to the boge lr 510s. I was glad to hear that because I thought I might be insane.

Your not insane that taste is very harsh and nasty. I thought it was an atty primer fluid at first ..but once I rinsed the filler it disappeared so its some funky chemical in the filler.

exKool

May 21, 2011
California
Your not insane that taste is very harsh and nasty. I thought it was an atty primer fluid at first ..but once I rinsed the filler it disappeared so its some funky chemical in the filler.

This will be a fun project for the weekend. I have 3 brand new ones left. Thanks for the tip! I'm very happy with the Boge LRs but the draw can be airy and sometimes my AVE juice takes a while to penetrate the filler so the Kangers would be a great addition to my arsenal!

Green Mtn Vpr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2011
VT
It has to be the filler...its supposedly the same design as the Bloog MaxxFusions and those things rock...no funky taste, no burnt taste (once ever for me and it turns out the coil was wonky...ohm'd out crazy low!) and they last a long time. They get a funny/scratchy/airy taste if you run em dry but that even goes away in a couple vapes when refilled. And I get 2-3 lives out of each by pulling filler. cleaning fill and cart, dry burning, rinse and reassemble.

I was on here looking to see if these K510 versions were just as good as the BMF's as I wanted to get some for my Boosted Ego and and to try with a tank and not have to deal with the adapter like I am now. I will give them a try.

Pega

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2011
Budapest
It has to be the filler...its supposedly the same design as the Bloog MaxxFusions and those things rock...no funky taste, no burnt taste (once ever for me and it turns out the coil was wonky...ohm'd out crazy low!) and they last a long time. They get a funny/scratchy/airy taste if you run em dry but that even goes away in a couple vapes when refilled. And I get 2-3 lives out of each by pulling filler. cleaning fill and cart, dry burning, rinse and reassemble.

I was on here looking to see if these K510 versions were just as good as the BMF's as I wanted to get some for my Boosted Ego and and to try with a tank and not have to deal with the adapter like I am now. I will give them a try.

do you havea any link to cartomizer reassembly instructions (preferrably video)? I never seem to be able to get the filler back in...

Green Mtn Vpr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2011
VT
Pega: I don't know of any instructions on them...was my own trial and error but I have it down. Pretty easy actually, just need a couple specific items and remember a couple specifics/tricks. PM me and I will give you a step by step.

do you havea any link to cartomizer reassembly instructions (preferrably video)? I never seem to be able to get the filler back in...

Green Mtn Vpr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2011
VT
Pega...here you go. Sorry it took so long...decided to do one to take pics to go with a full step x step for you. Lemme know if you have any questions. These are the Bloogs but the Kangers are supposedly the same build.

Horizontal Coil Cartomizer Refurbish
Tools:
• sharp point tweezers
• 3” long piece of small diameter straw (you want one JUST big enough to slide over center air tube…the ones I found to be perfect are from a bar or coffee bar)
• 1” long piece of regular straw
• Squeeze bulb (Dollar store, baby section…made for flushing ears/nose)
2011-12-02_14-28-31_711.jpg

Disassemble & Clean
• Using tweezers, gently remove polyfill and the inner coil protective wrap (sometimes called a ‘diaper’)…should slide out pretty easily leaving air tube intact
2011-12-02_14-21-04_524.jpg

• Unroll and clean polyfill and wrap/diaper under hot water. Some liquids cause a slight hardening of poly…squeezing and gentle agitation will usually remove/clean this. Be careful not to stretch or deform.
2011-12-02_14-21-39_342.jpg 2011-12-02_14-22-50_481.jpg 2011-12-02_14-30-36_265.jpg

• Dry by placing between layers of paper towel and pressing…set aside to air dry any remaining moisture

• Boil cartomizer tube in water for appx 5-10 minutes and immediately flush with bulb (moderate jet of water will help dislodge any residual gunk but use some caution so as not to damage the now exposed coil). An ultrasonic cleaner is an option here too…can’t say as to effectiveness as I have never used one.

• Shake out and blow out as much water as possible and either air dry for a while, or use hair dryer for a few minutes to remove any excess water and to dry the wick

• Thread onto a battery and do a few dry burns…not excessively long, appx 2 seconds or so (I blow into end after each burn to cool coil). When all or most of the residue is gone the coil will glow rather quickly when button is pressed. Don’t go crazy and burn the center tube…better off doing more, shorter duration dry burns rather than holding too long and damaging.

• At this point I re-flush with hot water using bulb to flush out any burned off residue. Shake out etc to re-dry.

Reassembly to follow in Part 2 (have to break up due to pic limit)

Last edited:

Green Mtn Vpr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2011
VT
Reassembly

• tightly wrap the coil ‘diaper’ around the small straw appx ½” or so from the end
2011-12-02_14-39-09_972.jpg

• Following the same wrap direction, tightly wrap the polyfill over the coil ‘diaper’ starting with the wider part of the notched edge ** Note alignment: See pic…the proper alignment is important!**

o Rolling of poly starts with the wider end and is aligned so that the edge is just slightly inset from the edge of the ’diaper’: this is important as it keeps poly from ever contacting the coil and makes it so there is a void of polyfill in the first layer outside and allows liquid to feed wick. This is why these cartos almost never burn and wick so well.
2011-12-02_14-39-41_738.jpg

• While holding the tightly rolled polyfill & diaper, start reinsertion into carto by aligning/starting the end of the straw over the air tube and gently feeding everything into the carto
2011-12-02_14-42-39_550.jpg

o be sure to keep hold of poly until it is completely inside of the carto sleeve or real close to it (so it does not unroll or loosen…if it does you will need to remove and re-roll or you will not slide in well, you won’t get it placed properly and may damage center tube trying!)
2011-12-02_14-43-06_933.jpg

o Do not jam straw into bottom of carto...you don’t want to damage the coil

• When the end of the straw is gently resting on the bottom of the cartomizer and the poly/diaper roll is inside the tube (slide it down straw and into carto if poly is still sticking out once straw bottoms out), take the piece of larger straw, slide it over the small straw, and use it to gently push polyfill to the bottom of the carto sliding it down the inner straw

o Do not jam the poly roll into the bottom…just until it touches bottom is perfect..bottomed out but not pressed in hard
2011-12-02_14-44-01_231.jpg

• Now, hold the larger straw in place and gently using it as counter pressure, pull the smaller/inside straw out leaving your filler material perfectly in place!

o There is usually a slight space between filler and center tube where the straw was…if so, simply take tweezers or a toothpick and give the filler as slight fluff (or I usually take the points of the tweezers and give filler a slight/gentle twist opposite to its roll direction which will fill it into the space)

Fill and enjoy!

Note:
• If carto draw is too airy after rebuild: use larger straw to gently push poly into bottom of carto a little tighter
• If draw is too tight: use tweezers to pull poly up from carto bottom very slightly

Lemme know if you have any questions...

I have never experienced any funny taste on my kangers, and I vape the 2.0s at 4.3 volts. They last me anywhere from 4 days to 2 weeks on a provary setup, no tank yet, fill them when vapor gets milky thin. Clean with etoh if they still work when I want to try a new flavor. Maybe an initial etoh rinse,blow,dry would help with this plastic taste you describe.

exKool

May 21, 2011
California
I have never experienced any funny taste on my kangers, and I vape the 2.0s at 4.3 volts. They last me anywhere from 4 days to 2 weeks on a provary setup, no tank yet, fill them when vapor gets milky thin. Clean with etoh if they still work when I want to try a new flavor. Maybe an initial etoh rinse,blow,dry would help with this plastic taste you describe.

I really wish I didn't get the funny taste. it's so "off" and plasticky that it makes me nervous about what I'm inhaling. The design on them seems to be really great though. I love the way they swallow up juice and the draw and vapor is out of this world. I just cannot abide the taste. Tried multiple juices on 6 of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread