Status
Not open for further replies.

gjustin79

Coil Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
I cut the grommet as described in that picture.

Still burnt taste.

It's not my grommet, must be my coil or wick.

I'm using 32g and 2mm ekowool.

Remade another one, I dry burned to test the coil and see it glow and it smoked and nearly choked me to death the stench was so bad. And the wick charred which shouldn't be happening because ekowool is (supposedly) flameproof.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I give up.. I'm just going to buy premade heads... :( I've built at least 10 coils now and I just can't seem to do it. I guess recoiling isn't for me. I have like 8 ruined heads now with nothing in them, and I need to change the head in one of my T3s's. Now I'm stuck here with a burned out nasty head vaping garbage tasting Monkey Buns.

Ugh. SO. FRUSTRATED. I want to beat someone with my brûlée torch.

Last edited:

look30

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
California
There is such thing like fake Ekowool apparently coming out of China.

Why don't you keep it simple and use Silica at 3 mm with a 2 mm or 1.5 mm flavor wick.
I get my Silica from octopusecig.com but If you're in US ,Clouds of vapor has the best stuff.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

gjustin79

Coil Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
There is such thing like fake Ekowool apparently coming out of China.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

The eBay page I bought it from says it's Russian. And the seller has 100% positive feedback.

I dunno, man. I'm not doing this again.. It just makes me angry and gives me analog-craving anxiety.. :(

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
you're driving it way too hard. in normal conditions the fix works just fine. I wape 70% VG and Bobba's and they work fine but with normal coils at medium power for that resistance and didn't had burnt in a couple of days.

I don't know, I was vaping a 2.7ohm micro-coil @ 5.5w... that should be fine.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
I cut the grommet as described in that picture.

Still burnt taste.

It's not my grommet, must be my coil or wick.

When it's the grommet, you know it. It's a nasty, NASTY taste.

I'm using 32g and 2mm ekowool.

Remade another one, I dry burned to test the coil and see it glow and it smoked and nearly choked me to death the stench was so bad.

That sounds like a grommet and from what I have read the last few days, the old advice to dry-burn to test a new coil is no longer advised because it burns the grommet, creating the experience you had.

I still don't understand why this is a problem only SOME of the time with SOME heads and not ALL the time with ALL heads and ALL people. I really think some heads are made with inferior rubber insulators that are even worse (burn at a lower temp) than the 'normal' rubber grommets. B/c the vaping community would not have developed the technique of dry-burning at all if it burned grommets.... it seems this issue has gotten worse over time.

And the wick charred which shouldn't be happening because ekowool is (supposedly) flameproof. [...]

Ugh. SO. FRUSTRATED. I want to beat someone with my brûlée torch.

LOL. I feel your pain. I personally wouldn't dry burn with any wick in place, though I'm not going to dry burn at all anymore, except in my dripper (no head).

Last edited:

look30

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
California
That sounds like a grommet and from what I have read the last few days, the old advice to dry-burn to test a new coil is no longer advised because it burns the grommet, creating the experience you had.

LOL. I feel your pain. I personally wouldn't dry burn with any wick in place, though I'm not going to dry burn at all anymore, except in my dripper (no head).

I completely agree with Trayce , dry-burning on a new coil should be avoided. What I do is torch the Silica with a butane torch till it get's red/white and then anneal the wire with a quick pass also with torch but only on wire AWG30 or thicker , then I do the coil on these pre torched materials.

@gjustin79 , rebuilding it's fun and should be seen as that , we all been trough the frustrating first builds but it does get easier.
I never trust Fleabay sellers because most of them have no clue what they sell most of the time.
Buy your stuff from a ecig vendor you trust because this way you will get the good stuff.

This is the Silica known as Golden Greek which is THE golden standard in rebuilds :
Coiled 3mm Silica Wick

I live in Canada so GG Silica get's really expensive for me with their $18 shipping so I found Octopusecig.com out of Denmark who delivers very good quality for way less.

look30

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
California
Aha! I still doubt that this circumcised grommet has any effect.

I hear you buddy , I'm against circumcision as well ;) but in this case as in all other circumcision cases the side you perform it makes a big difference.

I have some issues with the lenght of the post in Evod/PT in some atty's , i.e. when I use my favourite , the Davide Mini, sometimes the post will not touch the contact pad on the SVD leading to first weird resistance reading and then SVD displaying NON so no contact. One half of 1 mm goes a long way and that is what happened when the wrong end was cut .

Last edited:

gjustin79

Coil Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
When it's the grommet, you know it. It's a nasty, NASTY taste.

I still don't understand why this is a problem only SOME of the time with SOME heads and not ALL the time with ALL heads and ALL people. I really think some heads are made with inferior rubber insulators that are even worse (burn at a lower temp) than the 'normal' rubber grommets. B/c the vaping community would not have developed the technique of dry-burning at all if it burned grommets.... it seems this issue has gotten worse over time.

Well I remade yet ANOTHER with a circumsized (spelling) grommet and this time I wrapped the coil (5 wrap I believe) with a sewing needle ON the SIDE of the wick instead of pushing the needle through the hollow core. Much less tighter wrap. Before I read not to dry burn new coils, I dry burned it. Smoked, burnt smell. I rinsed it off under hot water and dry burned again. The burnt taste is still slightly there but I can barely tell. It may be me not being used to the taste of ekowool.

After work today I will make another with this new method and this time load up a tank before dry burning and see if the burnt taste goes away completely. Will post an update here.

What I don't understand is why does dry burning have no negative effect on stock Kanger T3S coils but horribly ruins it with remade ones?!?

look30

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
California
Well I remade yet ANOTHER with a circumsized (spelling) grommet and this time I wrapped the coil (5 wrap I believe) with a sewing needle ON the SIDE of the wick instead of pushing the needle through the hollow core. Much less tighter wrap. Before I read not to dry burn new coils, I dry burned it. Smoked, burnt smell. I rinsed it off under hot water and dry burned again. The burnt taste is still slightly there but I can barely tell. It may be me not being used to the taste of ekowool.

After work today I will make another with this new method and this time load up a tank before dry burning and see if the burnt taste goes away completely. Will post an update here.

What I don't understand is why does dry burning have no negative effect on stock Kanger T3S coils but horribly ruins it with remade ones?!?

Read my post Justin , torch the wick and wire before you make the coil.
I also put a few drips of ejuice on the newly installed coil after I test it for continuity , this way the wick soaks properly and also the liquid will keep everything cooler . That is one of the reasons at the beginning you get all kind of nasty taste and then the coil just works better after 10-15 minutes.

gjustin79

Coil Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
Read my post Justin , torch the wick and wire before you make the coil.
I also put a few drips of ejuice on the newly installed coil after I test it for continuity , this way the wick soaks properly and also the liquid will keep everything cooler . That is one of the reasons at the beginning you get all kind of nasty taste and then the coil just works better after 10-15 minutes.

I do torch with a chefs torch. I did not soak beforehand though. Will try this. Thanks!

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
[Re: vaping a 2.7ohm micro-coil @ 5.5w and still getting a burny grommet taste]

In all honesty i don't do micro-coils so I can't say why the burn still occurs but micro-coils are supposed to bring a lot of heat out due to increased surface so that sould be it.

Sounds possible. Will try again with a standard coil when I go back to it. Taking a break from it for now hoping that changes my luck. :D

EDIT: (Later that night...) I should have listened to my own advice and waited for my luck to change.... made a standard coil and even added doubled twisted legs... shaved the grommet... vaping @ 3v and every other puff is laced with burny grommet flavor. I am over rubber grommets and will search for silicone tubing or wait for Kanger's silicone grommets. I've probably made 30 coils of all different kinds in the last couple/few weeks trying to rectify this problem to no avail. As long as there is rubber, it's going to taste bad. Breaking my dripper back out for now.

Last edited:

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal

This goes along with what I wondered earlier of not understanding why some people never get grommet burn, and others do.... how are these heads so inconsistent? Doesn't make sense. (But regardless rubber has no place in a head, AFAIC.) :)

vdaedalus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Just got a couple new EVOD clearomizers in the mail this week that seem to have the new grommets. Didn't notice until I was refilling one of them and noticed the grommet looked darker somehow, not off-white (even my knockoff Protank heads have had the off-white rubber grommets, varying shades but clearly opaque). Lit them from the back with a high-powered flashlight and realised they weren't just darker rubber, but actually translucent like the wick cap on the Protank head. I dropped one of the new heads into a HyperTank and have been vaping it all night without a hint of burnt rubber flavour; the HyperTank is a perfect test bed for these since it's got a 5ml capacity and lends itself to chain-vaping without having to refill, with 'old' Protank heads I would eventually get a taste of burnt rubber.

Huge improvement, now I'm kind of bummed as I've got three five-packs of Protank heads with the old rubber grommets and now I know how much better they could be. :(

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Just got a couple new EVOD clearomizers in the mail this week that seem to have the new grommets.

That's fantastic! I hope they are putting them in all their heads now.

Didn't notice until I was refilling one of them and noticed the grommet looked darker somehow, not off-white (even my knockoff Protank heads have had the off-white rubber grommets, varying shades but clearly opaque). Lit them from the back with a high-powered flashlight and realised they weren't just darker rubber, but actually translucent like the wick cap on the Protank head. I dropped one of the new heads into a HyperTank and have been vaping it all night without a hint of burnt rubber flavour; the HyperTank is a perfect test bed for these since it's got a 5ml capacity and lends itself to chain-vaping without having to refill, with 'old' Protank heads I would eventually get a taste of burnt rubber.

Great news!

Huge improvement, now I'm kind of bummed as I've got three five-packs of Protank heads with the old rubber grommets and now I know how much better they could be. :(

No problemo if Kanger makes the silicone grommets available in bags of 10 or whatever as spare parts... which I am counting on as I have about 30 heads I want to replace the rubber grommets on!! Maybe we should all shoot an email to Kanger requesting them.... can't hurt. :)

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
I am extremely sensitive to nickle, wonder if I should just recoil them straight from the box? I would hate for what happens to my piercings (with nickle containing jewelry) to happen in the inside.

If you have an allergy I'd rebuild regardless... even if I emailed Kanger and they assured me there was no nickel anywhere in the coil. You never know when they might change their manufacturer/supplier/wire for whatever reasons and then you'd be caught unaware after happily vaping for months without issues. Better to be safe than sorry, imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread