Kanger's New Head! NO BURNY GROMMETS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Has anyone seen Kanger T2 heads with the new silicone grommets?

Thanks...

Couple people have reported them in new devices they are buying but no word yet on spare part heads. Seems like it won't be advertised... like the current (old style) stock will just eventually be replaced with new stock as the old stuff sells through, but I'm just guessing. OTOH I'd think the new head will be more money as silicone is more expensive than rubber, and no-res legs add a few pennies too.... so maybe they won't make them available at all as spare parts until they are out of old stock, then the new heads will be more money. Again, just guessing. :)

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Thanks Trayce!

By the way, are you back to enjoyable vaping without the off flavors?

Nope! Shelved the tanks back when we were writing last as the rubber grommets were releasing a bad taste no matter what I did. I do have some silicone tubing on the way which I hope to use in place of the rubber grommets. If it works my tanks will be back in rotation. :) Hope all is well on your end!

Chinook

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
OR, USA
Nope! Shelved the tanks back when we were writing last as the rubber grommets were releasing a bad taste no matter what I did. I do have some silicone tubing on the way which I hope to use in place of the rubber grommets. If it works my tanks will be back in rotation. :) Hope all is well on your end!

I hope the silicone tubing works well. I know how frustrating it is...I almost went insane here during that time. Now I inspect every coil head after soaking and dry burning it. I realign the coils wraps if necessary. I guess the rubber in my heads are OK for now. But who knows they might still be giving some off flavors. I'm eventually thinking about completely rebuilding them with cotton wicks. I'll do that though if I can get silicone tubing that can replace the rubber grommets. Thanks to you :) There must be lot of different sized tubes there. I hope you can find something that can fit...

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Are you going to carve a 'waist' out of the tubing to make grommets out of them? The stock grommets aren't simple cylinders, what are you planning?

Yeah, the insulator has a small top collar and a thicker one on the bottom. I already know the top one isn't necessary b/c one of the fixes people use to eliminate grommet burn is to slice off the top collar, and I tried that and the thing still functioned fine, but I could still taste the rubber.

As for the bottom collar, I have to see how the tubing fits inside the head before I can see if I even need a plan. :D It might work fine to just cut a length of tube the same length as the grommet and insert it in the same way. The positive post head might spread the soft silicone at the bottom just fine, forming a natural bottom collar. Or, if not, I might be able to leave it a tad longer than the stock rubber grommet and put a tiny vertical cut [or cuts] into the bottom of the tubing so that it flares when the pin head is inserted, with the cuts not extending up to where the base of the head is, so that the fully inserted pin cannot make contact with the head housing, even with those cuts.

I am an optimist and hoping I can just cut it the same length and insert it the same way. We'll see. It won't arrive for a few days. The ID was listed as 3/32 or 2.3mm which should be good, but the OD of the tubing was not listed (it's used for beer brewing). I am assuming it's 5/32s, which is standard for that ID and pretty close if not exactly the size of the post insulator, if I am not mistaken.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
I hope the silicone tubing works well. I know how frustrating it is...I almost went insane here during that time. Now I inspect every coil head after soaking and dry burning it. I realign the coils wraps if necessary.

LOL, yeah I became almost paranoid... like after that burny grommet flavor started every time I took a vape it was like sipping milk from an old carton waiting to see if it was sour!! :D That took all the fun out of it!! Especially since it WAS "sour"!! That's one reason I just put it all away and got out the dripper -- didn't want to ruin vaping for myself.

I guess the rubber in my heads are OK for now. But who knows they might still be giving some off flavors.

Well, I vaped my tanks for a over a month with no problems whatsoever... so hopefully you'll be fine. I even went on a thread here somewhere during that time where people were saying they ONLY used their drippers b/c tanks had such a horrid rubber grommet taste, and I said my PT2 and Aro head was a great vape, as good as my dripper! Then two weeks later I was saying just what they had been saying! LOL!

I'm eventually thinking about completely rebuilding them with cotton wicks. I'll do that though if I can get silicone tubing that can replace the rubber grommets. Thanks to you :) There must be lot of different sized tubes there. I hope you can find something that can fit...

It isn't thanks to me! I didn't think of it. :) I saw someone else tried some tubing here (darn forget his name but might have been in our original thread) but his tubing was the wrong size. I looked all over at places that sell silicone tubing but couldn't find the right size. Then the other day I was reading another forum and someone said they lost their grommet, and a member suggested hobby aircraft fuel line. I looked that up and it was the right size but it had a cancer-causing warning, so was not medical/food grade silicone. So I looked for medical/food grade and found it on eBay for beer making. 3 32" I D Silicone Tubing Temperature Rated to 500F | eBay Will report back if it works or not.

Continued good luck to your flavorful vaping! :)

Last edited:

Chinook

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
OR, USA
LOL, yeah I became almost paranoid... like after that burny grommet flavor started every time I took a vape it was like sipping milk from an old carton waiting to see if it was sour!! :D That took all the fun out of it!! Especially since it WAS "sour"!! That's one reason I just put it all away and got out the dripper -- didn't want to ruin vaping for myself.

Well, I vaped my tanks for a over a month with no problems whatsoever... so hopefully you'll be fine. I even went on a thread here somewhere during that time where people were saying they ONLY used their drippers b/c tanks had such a horrid rubber grommet taste, and I said my PT2 and Aro head was a great vape, as good as my dripper! Then two weeks later I was saying just what they had been saying! LOL!

It isn't thanks to me! I didn't think of it. :) I saw someone else tried some tubing here (darn forget his name but might have been in our original thread) but his tubing was the wrong size. I looked all over at places that sell silicone tubing but couldn't find the right size. Then the other day I was reading another forum and someone said they lost their grommet, and a member suggested hobby aircraft fuel line. I looked that up and it was the right size but it had a cancer-causing warning, so was not medical/food grade silicone. So I looked for medical/food grade and found it on eBay for beer making. 3 32" I D Silicone Tubing Temperature Rated to 500F | eBay Will report back if it works or not.

Continued good luck to your flavorful vaping! :)

Thanks, you too! Hopefully you'll get your tanks back in action :)

I think I have a decent batch of heads now. When they are gone, if I don't rebuild them, then it'll be rubber gamble with the new heads again!

Thanks for that link too... I'm crossing my fingers for you :)

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Thanks, you too! Hopefully you'll get your tanks back in action :)

I think I have a decent batch of heads now. When they are gone, if I don't rebuild them, then it'll be rubber gamble with the new heads again!

Thanks for that link too... I'm crossing my fingers for you :)

Hey thanks for that, Chinook! And hopefully by the time you need heads you'll get the new ones! :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
LOL, yeah I became almost paranoid... like after that burny grommet flavor started every time I took a vape it was like sipping milk from an old carton waiting to see if it was sour!!

LOL I resemble you! My taste buds are so "on" I could taste milk going sour days out before I quit smoking. Same thing with rust and vegetables. PIA going to a restaurant now.

It isn't thanks to me! I didn't think of it. :) I saw someone else tried some tubing here (darn forget his name but might have been in our original thread) but his tubing was the wrong size. I looked all over at places that sell silicone tubing but couldn't find the right size. Then the other day I was reading another forum and someone said they lost their grommet, and a member suggested hobby aircraft fuel line. I looked that up and it was the right size but it had a cancer-causing warning, so was not medical/food grade silicone. So I looked for medical/food grade and found it on eBay for beer making. 3 32" I D Silicone Tubing Temperature Rated to 500F | eBay Will report back if it works or not...

All science is observation and repetition. Good job guy. Do keep us/me posted…please. Also on the http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/clearomizers/486794-protank-microcoil-discussion.html thread would be helpful. Or, I'll post a link to yours once you've tested. It also occurs to me that this silicone tubing might be worth a try on the Ody's in lieu of the persnickety non-res wire and to shorten wick installs. Need to take one apart and mic the channels.

Thanks Trayce.

Good luck!

:)

Last edited:

JamezC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Arkansas
I've been rebuilding my bcc's for awhile now and recently I've been experiencing the burning rubber grommet taste as well. I'm so excited to see this! I've been leaning away from buying more clearomizers and going into RBA's but with this (and the method look30 described) I may just pull the trigger on buying some of the newer Glassomizers! Thanks for the info :D

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Will do Mac!

As every good "tit" deserves a "tat", so I thought I'd return the favor…I picked up today that Lightning Vapes (on eBay as well) has these replacement grommets for the Protank's, etc. Don't know if this is elsewhere on the board but...

Resistance Coil Insulator 10 Pack (CE Type Atty's, eg. Protank, Evod,T - Lightning Vapes

I don't know if they're better than the originals, the new silicone jobbers or just another Easter egg hunt but at least they'll get us past the memory of all the burnt, cutup newb moments still disparaging our taste buds. I hate to throw out all those old assemblies for lack of a proper insulator.

So I'll get around to ordering some and let y'all know.

Wish me luck!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread