Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo Bak

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2015
Netherlands
I just looked at the Protank 4. Hmmm.
It's not a bad tank, glass can't be changed though, so once you break it you can throw away the tank. If you want a Kanger tank i'd recommend either the Toptank or the Subtank.

There have been issues with leaking toptanks, that's why the RBA got the smaller holes, but if you wick it tight it just can't leak. If you chainvape high VG get the 'old' Subtank RBA clone with the bigger holes.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I (still) love my subtanks. My 1st sub-ohm tank, but I used them a long time with the 1.2ohm OCC heads as well.

Even with my new tanks, RTA, RDAs, RDTAs and the like, I still come back to them from time to time and really enjoy them.

I picked up a toptank a few months back and still have a new subtank mini I haven't opened for future use. It's great to have a reliable, non-leaking tank I can throw a factory coil head in if I need something quickly with no fuss. I need to try to order another mini when I find one. Probably still have at least 40 factory OCC heads for them and a handful of RBAs.

I get some funny looks from friends that vape when they see my huge Subtank Plus (7ml) or even a mini, but they are great tanks. I guess they do look old school these days, but they are a simple, hassle free vape. I don't care what they look like, lol.

Reactions: Beamslider

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
2.8mmØ ?

What is that, like 7/64th's ?

Nominally, yes=2.778mm. But have drill blanks, bits and rods of 2.8mm, 2.82, 2.85, etc. mostly to test how these fit up and perform with various types of media such as Nextel. But I try to use off the shelf stuff such as the Dremel bit set so I can try to dup what the avg person might be using.

The alt's sometimes come in handy like with vert's on the BB454. It's hard to get a wick in and 2.80-82 actually help with the thinner gauge req for new user builds. Also for slight resistance (surface area) nudges in one dir or another. For me its all about honing in on what works best for the device in refining output density.

Recently posted on variations on wheeler's anniv thread as he created a great cross-ref table with Bill's Magic Vapor some time back…

Microcoils and Resistance Chart.pdf

You can get a lot of density and actually make use of it with the ST's decent a/f. Unfortunately the post spread limits the turn count or you start to skew the coil, often on install. But I enjoy trying bigger builds on them from time to time Particularly the parallels.

Right now I'm pondering the Ammit 25 single as mebe as broadly workable as the KST. The a/f is def there with the update but perhaps with greater volume potential. Anyone do a comparison?

Just some musings this morning. Yeah, I like 7/64" for the mini and std both. Mostly cause it's easy for most everyone to get to. And it's great when we can easily dup each other's attempts to compare the performance of these things you know.

Take care and good luck Z. :)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Nominally, yes=2.778mm. But have drill blanks, bits and rods of 2.8mm, 2.82, 2.85, etc. mostly to test how these fit up and perform with various types of media such as Nextel. But I try to use off the shelf stuff such as the Dremel bit set so I can try to dup what the avg person might be using.

The alt's sometimes come in handy like with vert's on the BB454. It's hard to get a wick in and 2.80-82 actually help with the thinner gauge req for new user builds. Also for slight resistance (surface area) nudges in one dir or another. For me its all about honing in on what works best for the device in refining output density.

Recently posted on variations on wheeler's anniv thread as he created a great cross-ref table with Bill's Magic Vapor some time back…

Microcoils and Resistance Chart.pdf

You can get a lot of density and actually make use of it with the ST's decent a/f. Unfortunately the post spread limits the turn count or you start to skew the coil, often on install. But I enjoy trying bigger builds on them from time to time Particularly the parallels.

Right now I'm pondering the Ammit 25 single as mebe as broadly workable as the KST. The a/f is def there with the update but perhaps with greater volume potential. Anyone do a comparison?

Just some musings this morning. Yeah, I like 7/64" for the mini and std both. Mostly cause it's easy for most everyone to get to. And it's great when we can easily dup each other's attempts to compare the performance of these things you know.

Take care and good luck Z. :)

Gotcha.

The reason that caught my eye is I have used a 7/64" Drill to pilot a Hole that is going to Reamed to 3.0mm. It's funny how a Number can Kick Off memories of past Projects.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    still have a new subtank mini I haven't opened for future use.
    Might want to open that and remove the glass off the cage.
    I've bought new ones that have sat around a couple years, and the glass can be very difficult to remove.

score69

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 28, 2015
    Athens, GA, USA
    Might want to open that and remove the glass off the cage.
    I've bought new ones that have sat around a couple years, and the glass can be very difficult to remove.
    LOL, thanks for the suggestion. I will do that today. ;)

I noticed on the mini and Plus I'm using now, it was a PITA to remove it originally when I cleaned them. Didn't think about it sitting a few years like that, but makes sense. That one may already be a PITA since it's been sitting a couple of years. Thank God for spare glass. :)

I just got done adding another mini and the RBAs to my current Fasttech list for next time I order. May be getting time to place another order. Lately it seems I end up just ordering squonk bottles, parts, coils and the like, so I wait until I get a pretty good sized list to order.

Appreciate the feedback once again. :thumb:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Is the Protank 4 any good? I have seen the tank around without the dual RBA for around $10. The subtank rba fits that tank too. It hold more juice.

Getting back to this question, has anybody, lately? And still as well any Ammit comparisons?

Good luck. :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    For reference…

It's been years since I upgraded tanks. I love my 7ml protank/Subtank. I suck at building but have a good process for my mini rba plus. All tanks are broke. Anyone know where I can buy replacement glass? Are there any other tanks that are compatible with that RBA? I'm so out of the loop when it comes to buying new Vape gear I just like what I've been using for years and would really appreciate some help

Have you looked on fasttech and ebay for replacement glass. Try Kangertech as well, they still have some parts too. @MacTechVpr or @Coastal Cowboy can help. I don't know about RBA compatibility.

First I'd check…Home - Kanger World…for any still available spares. Then eBay, FT, 3F, GearBest, etc. if the search engines don't pan out for the specific part/s. Here's two handy search tools…

PicClick • Search eBay Faster. Find it first!
    Vapecrawler

Always search here on ECF first to check if members found a good deal or source.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
    Aug 26, 2015
    Northern VA

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Getting back to this question, has anybody, lately? And still as well any Ammit comparisons?

When reading these posts, something triggered my memory so went looking in my stash and found 2 unopened protank 4's. Opened one up and stuck the ole stm rba coil head(plus) in it and it vapes like a charm. Love the top fill. Similar to the eleaf melo 2 fill slot. Super easy. Need to find more of these.
    @Beamslider where did you see these listed at $10?
    :)

Beamslider

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    When reading these posts, something triggered my memory so went looking in my stash and found 2 unopened protank 4's. Opened one up and stuck the ole stm rba coil head(plus) in it and it vapes like a charm. Love the top fill. Similar to the eleaf melo 2 fill slot. Super easy. Need to find more of these.
    @Beamslider where did you see these listed at $10?
    :)

I don't remember the vendor now. They were just the tanks no coils included. I decided not to buy them. Never ordered from this site below but they have them for $15.90 with the ceramic coil, nichrome coil and RBA deck. the complete kit. Probably around the best price to find them for complete kits.

Kanger Protank 4 - Tanks - Atomizers

Beamslider

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    It's not a bad tank, glass can't be changed though, so once you break it you can throw away the tank. If you want a Kanger tank i'd recommend either the Toptank or the Subtank.

There have been issues with leaking toptanks, that's why the RBA got the smaller holes, but if you wick it tight it just can't leak. If you chainvape high VG get the 'old' Subtank RBA clone with the bigger holes.

I decided to pass on them. I have a bunch of the toptank minis. Was just curious because of the higher juice capacity and compatibility with the RBA from toptanks. At least I guess once the glass is broken you can still use the base with the minis.

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
    Aug 26, 2015
    Northern VA
    You've already got a pointer to the glass on fasttech - they still have a lot of other stuff available.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10004861/2106401-authentic-kangertech-subtank-mini-clearomizer (Subtank mini)

https://www.fasttech.com/products/2752900 (STM Base)

https://www.fasttech.com/p/2191600 (STM o rings)

https://www.fasttech.com/p/1886601 (RBA o ring)

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10014112/2390700-authentic-kangertech-subtank-mini-rba-plus-coil (RBA)

https://www.fasttech.com/p/3989104 (RBA replacement screws)

Oh and the Toptank Mini, Subtank mini, and Protank 4 all use the same RBA
    Clarification: I believe the Protank 4 comes with a different RBA that folks are not too happy with, but can still use the older RBA for the STM.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread