Status
Not open for further replies.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I'm not able to run the mini above 20w without the wick going dry, unless I pull on it hard. Harder than any of the many rtas I own. A couple of primer puffs gets it wetted up nice but then the same thing happens. The dryish hits start after the first few draws when the vacuum draws the first bubbles after filling. Problem stops at near empty tank when vacuum breaks.

The build is a twisted 32awg KA1, 8 wrap, 3/32 dia, 2.1 ohm. KGD wicking is touching the juice deck but away from juice channels. Juice is 50/50. Airflow is set to middle positiion. Wicked this thing in every config I know but what the heck? Hearing reports here of peeps running 27w. Wazup?!

I am running a 1.0Ω build with 26ga wire at 2.4mm. The first time I wicked it, I did my usual bunny ear style, just trying not to over pack it by the liquid channels. It was ok....but seemed like it would start to dry up after a few pulls, and wasn't wicking quickly enough.

I pulled the wick out and put a new one in. This time, I used the same method but pushed the cotton back away from liquid channel, leaving it exposed.

This time, its been wicking well. I've settled in at 22 Watts with the middle airflow setting and I'm pretty happy with it.

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
I did go back in and trim the wick down from what I would do for a typical Kayfun build, more like how you see people trim the tails slender for the Erlkonigin. I then made sure that the wick was not blocking the juice hole on either side, and so far I would say that the vape is improved with less wick. I am using rayon. I'll pay attention to how it vapes today and say whether I thought it ended up being an improvement or not.

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
I did go back in and trim the wick down from what I would do for a typical Kayfun build, more like how you see people trim the tails slender for the Erlkonigin. I then made sure that the wick was not blocking the juice hole on either side, and so far I would say that the vape is improved with less wick. I am using rayon. I'll pay attention to how it vapes today and say whether I thought it ended up being an improvement or not.

this setup just gave me a big, nasty dry hit. Back to the Kayfun style build.

Jonner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2010
Pennsylvania
I got the mini yesterday and I am getting dry hits like crazy with any juice I use (50/50 or 70vg) at anything over 17 watts. Anybody have any advice, I prejuiced the coil but it still happens like every 3rd puff. Only way around it is to block the airhole and suck like crazy so it bubbles and then I am good for 1-2 more puffs and then back to dry hits.

Bahumba

Mine started doing the same, even with the RBA, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?! Then I went back to another replacement coil, that was jumping all over the place, .2ohm, .56ohm, then jumped all the way up to 2.32ohm and gave the nastiest, driest burnt hit I have ever experienced, at only 17 watts. I have no idea what is wrong with this tank, but a dry, burnt hit at 2.32ohms and 17 watts?!! Mine must either be possessed or defective somehow (maybe a short in the internals)? Trying to get an RMA now.

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
I am sorry to hear that some of you aren't getting a good vape out of this. I went back to a std Kayfun build on a .5 ohm wicked with rayon after my morning experiment, and this mini is just awesome all day with max VG. No dry hits. super flavor, just the best vape I've ever had at 27.5w. I do wish Kanger had designed in some sort of juice flow control for the rba like Joyetech did with the Delta 2 premade coil heads, but running under 30w it doesn't seem to need it. I am very close to ordering a second. I love it.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I am sorry to hear that some of you aren't getting a good vape out of this. I went back to a std Kayfun build on a .5 ohm wicked with rayon after my morning experiment, and this mini is just awesome all day with max VG. No dry hits. super flavor, just the best vape I've ever had at 27.5w. I do wish Kanger had designed in some sort of juice flow control for the rba like Joyetech did with the Delta 2 premade coil heads, but running under 30w it doesn't seem to need it. I am very close to ordering a second. I love it.

Perhaps there's variances in the machining of these devices. Wicking is not my problem...getting juice to the wick is the problem. A couple of strong primer puffs or a quick blow through the device allows a few bubbles to enter into the tank and I'm good to go....for one or two pulls...then dry again. I have wicked it with kgd and rayon (not my preference) touching the lower deck away from the juice channels, on the juice channels, s-curve across the juice channels with light, medium and heavy wicking density with 4 different size coils ranging from 1.7-3mm. No go...dry hits.

Must have gotten a bad one. Dunno

Last edited:

Bammer555

Verified Member
Dec 13, 2014
I have a few rba newb questions for when this tank arrives. I'm going to start with the .5 occ coil. While using that I would like to wick the rba head but many have said the included cotton reaks of machine oil. So assuming it's no good do I have to buy the cotton a my LV shop or can it be purchased at say a pharmacy?

is the Japanese cotton the best cotton to get?I know the rba comes with two .5 coils, will I be able to wick this multiple times reusing the coil?

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
saw this on ebay and could not help myself, it's perfect
_1_zpselgyo0iv.jpg

_1-1_zpssnyb9djk.jpg

Jonner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2010
Pennsylvania

Is this with the pre-built coil on the RBA or did you build a new coil? If so, would you mind sharing the specs?

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Perhaps there's variances in the machining of these devices. Wicking is not my problem...getting juice to the wick is the problem. A couple of strong primer puffs or a quick blow through the device allows a few bubbles to enter into the tank and I'm good to go....for one or two pulls...then dry again. I have wicked it with kgd and rayon (not my preference) touching the lower deck away from the juice channels, on the juice channels, s-curve across the juice channels with light, medium and heavy wicking density with 4 different size coils ranging from 1.7-3mm. No go...dry hits.

Must have gotten a bad one. Dunno

Mornin cig, posted a response to you on the Kanger rebuilding thread. And I'm sure some will certainly take a stab at a t.m.c./s on that RBA eventually. I don't know why, you may be on to something about variation in the spec. I've had the gut since the announcement that the dynamics of the OCC were going to be superior. Makes sense they'd put the bulk of their development effort into their recurring consumable. Anyway that's my theory but one I'm skeptical of. Bad break.

Good luck all.

:)

332934d1399406830-protank-microcoil-discussion-img_0805a.jpg

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Anyone found that Mouth to lung on these Minis is just not working?

Nopes. Best AF and variability I've seen on a tank yet. For those not used to the wide bore wide open drip this may seem like no vapor (I'm one, like clouds but too diffuse). The AF ring provides plenty of adjustment to up the density (slow down draw af, increase juice flow). A good approach too is to choke the drip. I'm alternating between the stock, 2puffs and DOB style drip tips

HDT by 2 Puffs
DOB Drip Tip - 101 Vape

But not seeing any absence of AF from 12-45W here for sure. We'll be workin' on upping the density though and reigning in some of that diffusion on the Protank MicroCoil Discussion!! thread.

In fairness, I see here and elsewhere that some are running into this. Dunno yet. So far two tanks 4-coils. All good. Haven't hit the RBA but trying to today.

Hang in!

Good luck.

:)

332934d1399406830-protank-microcoil-discussion-img_0805a.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread