Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayscuzzi

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2014
North Central, Il.
No steps missed as far as you describe, but:
- After inserting coil, insert a drill or something through it and keep that something UP.
- Pull the negative wire (the one outside the grommet) and BEND it. You can now release it
- Insert the grommet with the + wire in it, and just tense the wire, then bend it.
- Insert pin and cut both leads.
- Remove the drill/something
- Wick it.

I did this thrice. Worked like a breeze. Under 5 minutes including coil wrapping.
I was bending my wires too but maybe not in the order you described or maybe I'm pulling on the wires just not bending. I'll try your directions next time I change coils. Thanks for the response.

shreduhsoreus

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
Indianapolis
No steps missed as far as you describe, but:
- After inserting coil, insert a drill or something through it and keep that something UP.
- Pull the negative wire (the one outside the grommet) and BEND it. You can now release it
- Insert the grommet with the + wire in it, and just tense the wire, then bend it.
- Insert pin and cut both leads.
- Remove the drill/something
- Wick it.

I did this thrice. Worked like a breeze. Under 5 minutes including coil wrapping.

Are you making an NR-R-NR coil? I've heard that it's not a good idea to just use plain resistance wire when rebuilding these, but it's been mostly speculation and a few anecdotal accounts.

TFL!

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Chatfield, MN, USA
You're welcome. :)

The key, I think, is to keep the wire(s) tense and the coil up and in place until the end. Sounds harder than it actually is. My biggest pain was to find a rod that perfectly fits the holes in the OCC head. I have yet to find one (I settled for ”close enough”). :)

I use a 2.99mm screw driver tight fit but it works

Flapstick

Jan 12, 2015
Europa
Are you making an NR-R-NR coil? I've heard that it's not a good idea to just use plain resistance wire when rebuilding these, but it's been mostly speculation and a few anecdotal accounts.

No. Regular Kanthal - as were my coils in their original setting. Albeit they may vary, I don't know about others. I've read that too, but I had no problems.

Flapstick

Jan 12, 2015
Europa
So I bent over backwards and bought this puppy ahead of schedule:

Mosor.jpg

0.1 x 0.8 mm Kanthal ribbon, 18.5 Ω/m

5-6 wraps over a Ø 3.5 mm rod should give me what I want from it (over 1 Ω and a bigger surface than regular, round Kanthal).
Mainly for the RBA, but I may use it in the OCC too - I'll see about that.
No pending builds for the time being, I'll let you know when I'll start working with it.

Cheers! :)

shreduhsoreus

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
Indianapolis
So I bent over backwards and bought this puppy ahead of schedule:

0.1 x 0.8 mm Kanthal ribbon, 18.5 Ω/m

5-6 wraps over a Ø 3.5 mm rod should give me what I want from it (over 1 Ω and a bigger surface than regular, round Kanthal).
Mainly for the RBA, but I may use it in the OCC too - I'll see about that.
No pending builds for the time being, I'll let you know when I'll start working with it.

Cheers! :)

I want to know how this works out for you. I'm more interested in cloud chucking over 1 ohm than building low, and with the surface area you'll be getting, it sounds promising ;)

Flapstick

Jan 12, 2015
Europa
Okay, so this was a test run - and nothing is perfect. :)

Sorry for the crappy photos. :blush:

This is the OCC coil with 6 wraps over a 3 mm pole:
A bit large and a pain to wick...

image.jpg

And this is what I got.

image.jpg

Next time I can (and will) easily lose one wrap, if not two.
It's perfectly functional and the vape gained in flavor as well as in density.
Better than I expected for an absolute first.

I did a test for the RBA too:

image.jpg

This is before ”grooming” - I arranged it OK. Resistance value is about 1.2 ohms. Haven't vaped on it yet, but this one too is fully functional.

In conclusion: Kanthal ribbon is way harder to work with compared to regular wire (tougher to get coils right, tougher to screw in, tougher to wick), but well worthed, in my opinion.
I have yet to try a ”rim coil”, but that would be much more difficult, so I'll stick to master ”normal ribbon coiling” first.

Cheers! :vapor:

Last edited:

DEA7H INC

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Oregon
Just ordered a second subtank mini from Sweet-Vapes since I like the one I have already so much. Also got two sets of the black o-rings in case the new one doesn't have any black spares.

Now I can rock one on both my ipv mini v2 and my istick 30w. Bliss is near. Best tank I've ever used so far. Don't think I'll ever use a regular clearo style device again and they are all being retired :)

Last edited:

Paramaniac413

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2014
South Central PA
In the box, mine had black as the spares and I put them on immediately. Looks pretty sick with my black MVP 3 :D

I bought a Nano today and mine came with the black spares! I kinda wish my Mini had come with the black ones as spares, too! I'm going to save putting the black ones on for when I wash it next...or if I get another one...then I can tell them apart...of course, I could always get a color pack and go from there... :lol:

DoomiteAsh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2014
Amarillo, TX
I bought a Nano today and mine came with the black spares! I kinda wish my Mini had come with the black ones as spares, too! I'm going to save putting the black ones on for when I wash it next...or if I get another one...then I can tell them apart...of course, I could always get a color pack and go from there... :lol:
My question is: why not combine the red O ring (or two) with a black O ring? Two-tone tank, anyone? :)

Sent from Doomite Central!

OMRebel67

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Oxford, MS, USA
Just ordered a second subtank mini from Sweet-Vapes since I like the one I have already so much. Also got two sets of the black o-rings in case the new one doesn't have any black spares.

Now I can rock one on both my ipv mini v2 and my istick 30w. Bliss is near. Best tank I've ever used so far. Don't think I'll ever use a regular clearo style device again and they are all being retired :)

My Aerotanks have been retired as well. I bought a second Subtank for back up just in case. I don't want to have to go back to my old tanks if I don't have to. The only negative for me is that my juice consumption has doubled. But I can handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread