Status
Not open for further replies.

VapJak

Aug 21, 2016
kayfun v5 with MTL reducer set (largest tube) - Airflow ring on 2 pips

2.5mm ID
UD Clapton Wire (26/32 gauge)
4/5 wraps giving about 0.6 - 0.8ohms

Dry-burn then quench about 8 times when coil is first fitted - just to clean out anything in the wire manufacture, between the clapton wraps

Cotton Bacon v2 fitting with easy movement within the coil

Tails cut to just reach the deck with an easy bend - fanned out along the juice deck

Clean easy vape for first half tank, which gets better as cotton breaks in

I have found the longer I don't touch anything - the better it gets

Best flavour is after 3-5 days - then it stays like this for another 5 days then suddenly drops off, and I re-cotton

At it's best the cotton looks pretty manky - dark and gunged - but flavour is extraordinary !!!!

My 2 regular setups - KFv5 and the Squape R(s) with the same build, using ProVape Radius around 23 watts

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
I hope to enjoy the 5, ill still keep attempting to get a build right (for me)
If you could share yours i might just try it

My build is very basic (I'm still new to building), but here's the specs:

Single coil: Kanthal A1 28g (wraps touching, not spaced), 2.5mm diameter, 8 wraps @ 1.5Ω. Use all standard touching coil tweaking methods so that the coil glows from the center outward, of which I'm sure you're aware.

Wick: KGD cotton with the top and bottom condensed layers carefully peeled away leaving only the fluffy layers. Cut a strip that threads through the coil with a snug fit, but not tight. Trim the legs so that there's just enough to reach the bottom of the liquid wells on either side without "shoulders" on either side of the coil. Use a sharp(ish) tool or needle to fan/spread the wick out within the wells evenly, leaving just a tiny space by the gap next to the positive connection block. Once completed, the wick should look like straight white hair flowing down from someone's head.

A quick note: I am a low wattage vaper (11w to 13w, depending on the flavor), and generally only vape fruit flavors. This build works for me because it brings out the subtle sweet notes in those flavors. If you vape sweeter flavors (like deserts), or robust flavors (like tobacco), this build may not be ideal.

King_Louie

Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
Southern California
My build is very basic (I'm still new to building), but here's the specs:

Single coil: Kanthal A1 28g (wraps touching, not spaced), 2.5mm diameter, 8 wraps @ 1.5Ω. Use all standard touching coil tweaking methods so that the coil glows from the center outward, of which I'm sure you're aware.

Wick: KGD cotton with the top and bottom condensed layers carefully peeled away leaving only the fluffy layers. Cut a strip that threads through the coil with a snug fit, but not tight. Trim the legs so that there's just enough to reach the bottom of the liquid wells on either side without "shoulders" on either side of the coil. Use a sharp(ish) tool or needle to fan/spread the wick out within the wells evenly, leaving just a tiny space by the gap next to the positive connection block. Once completed, the wick should look like straight white hair flowing down from someone's head.

A quick note: I am a low wattage vaper (11w to 13w, depending on the flavor), and generally only vape fruit flavors. This build works for me because it brings out the subtle sweet notes in those flavors. If you vape sweeter flavors (like deserts), or robust flavors (like tobacco), this build may not be ideal.

I build very similar except i usually do smaller than 2.5mm. ill have to try that. thank you both for a detailed explanation! :)

Reactions: BuGlen
like most of you, I favor MTL and a tight draw. The smallest pin (1.2) is working really well thus far with the airflow on 1. Just wondering if anyone else is having a problem with the airflow dial itself. Mine is hyper sticky. I literally have to hold the 510 with my needle nose in order to turn the airflow. If anyone else has experienced this, I'd love some help.
BTW I totally agree about the micro gurgling on the mini 3. It drove me insane as I tried to get the draw as tight as I like it. Size-wise I'd love to have stayed with the mini, but that alone drove me to distraction and seems to have been solved with the 5's design.

dd4285

May 19, 2016
Malaysia
like most of you, I favor MTL and a tight draw. The smallest pin (1.2) is working really well thus far with the airflow on 1. Just wondering if anyone else is having a problem with the airflow dial itself. Mine is hyper sticky. I literally have to hold the 510 with my needle nose in order to turn the airflow. If anyone else has experienced this, I'd love some help.
BTW I totally agree about the micro gurgling on the mini 3. It drove me insane as I tried to get the draw as tight as I like it. Size-wise I'd love to have stayed with the mini, but that alone drove me to distraction and seems to have been solved with the 5's design.

Disassemble the tank and lube the O-rings for the air flow control. Lube all the O-rings for the tank. Kayfun love lubed O-rings. just use plain vg and it should improve your afc and jfc adjustment much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread