The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Kayfun Mini V3 vs. Kayfun Prime

Discussion in 'RTA' started by VictorC, Sep 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. VictorC

VictorC Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 26, 2015
    Toronto, Ontario
    Here it goes, another very subjective assessment of two MTL tanks, Kayfun Mini V3 (2 ml) and Kayfun Prime (4.5ml).
    Tested with the same build (round Kanthal, 27 GA, 6 wraps, 2.5 mm) and same juice (70%VG/30%PG).

[​IMG]

Cleanliness on arrival
    Both tanks arrived clean with no smell of oil. Quick rinse and you good to go.
    score KM:5 KP:5

Finish/threading
    Both are flawless.

Stock mouth piece (drip tip)
    I prefer Kayfun Prime, it’s not perfect but at least it’s not all metal. You can replace both easily with standard 510 drip tip of your choice.
    score KM:3 KP:4

Juice flow Control (JFC)
    Almost identical and works well, but you still need to count turns on both
    score KM:4 KP:4

Air flow control (AFC)
    This is one of the main differences. KM3 has an internal screw (like Kayfun 4) to control the air flow. You need to take the tank off the mod, unscrew the bottom plate and then adjust the airflow with tiny screwdriver. And then put everything back. Kayfun Prime is using an external ring, not perfect, but definitely more convenient.
    score KM:2 KP:4

Top fill
    Very good, no gurgling or flooding. But Prime’s top cap is designed better and it has wider juice ports.
    [​IMG]
    score KM:4 KP:5

Ease of re-building
    Both are excellent, but Prime’s deck is a bit easier to build due to the posts construction.
    [​IMG]
    score KM:4, KP:5

Edit: Kayfun Prime - supplied flat head screws keeping coil resistance way more consistent than those with philips heads in the previous pic

[​IMG]

Flavour
    Both produce excellent flavour

Draw
    Both are true MTL tanks. You can make KM3 tighter than Kayfun Prime.
    Both produce smooth draw with no turbulence. KP is almost quiet, KM is definetly noisier.
    score KM:4 KP:5

Aesthetics (no score)
    This is very subjective but I prefer the look of KP, with its 22 mm diameter it looks more balanced than skinny tall KM.

Cost (no score)
    Prime is about $20 more and 4.5 ml tank is optional (extra $$). No 4.5 ml option for KM.

Bottom line.
    While Kayfun Prime might not be a revolutionary step above Kayfun Mini V3 it's definitely a solid improvement.

Cheers,
    Victor

• Like Like x 9
  2. traianescu

traianescu Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 2, 2017
    I don't have kay mini v3, but you are right, with the screw you may set the airflow tighter than anything else.. i didn't thought of this, at the first read i had not understood, how could the mini be tighter than prime?! Lol, my fault

• Like Like x 2
  3. Heartsdelight

Heartsdelight Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 10, 2015
    Nice comparison, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. vapdivrr

vapdivrr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Big kayfun guy here and received my prime yesterday. I have owned every kayfun except the 3.1 ES and imo, the prime is tops...before the prime, my favorite kayfun was the km3 , which is an awesome tank, but the 19mm diameter was my only complaint. Now SvoeMesto has done it and has made my perfect tank!!! The machining on the prime seems a bit better then the km3, and it seems a bit smoother the way everything screws together, I also agree that the draw is much quieter then the km3. AF is also much better along with the size and looks. Flavor seems fairly equal and I'm seriously loving this tank

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 8
  5. Mike Geaney

Mike Geaney Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 29, 2014
    Boston
    Time for a new RTA. I took love the Kayfuns but hated the 5. Thoughts on this compared to the 5? Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  6. vapdivrr

vapdivrr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Thoughts on the prime vs the 5? Well the prime is more of a true mtl experience, whereas the 5 always felt to airy . I also would have to say the prime is a bit better in terms of flavor. Juice flow exactly the same and the way the airflow works is exactly the same. The prime is smaller and lighter, but has a smaller capacity. Your not going to get those bigger builds in the prime because the deck is smaller and is actually the same size as the km3. I run the prime with 26g about .6 to .7 ohms around 23 watts and it's very nice

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Mike Geaney

Mike Geaney Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 29, 2014
    Boston
    Thank you.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Brewdawg1181

Brewdawg1181 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    You don't say what you like, or what you currently use. But for me, the Prime was as disappointing as the K5. It's a very nice, smooth and quiet tank. Although it's tighter on draw, it's a very similar vape to the K5. I was using the Kayfun Mini 3, and hoped to enjoy the external AF control, easier wire trapping, and larger capacity, and tried the K5, but didn't like it. Then the Prime, which I thought would be better with the smaller chimney. But no matter how I built it, or what juice I used, I simply couldn't get the solid vape with throat hit that I wanted. I then tried Ares, which was a little better. But I've moved on to the SXK Doggy Style, and it's even replaced my beloved KM3's. Good capacity, small profile, light weight, true mtl draw, great flavor, quiet draw, and good throat hit. I care nothing about clouds, but it's vapor production is huge for mtl. And although it's bottom fill, it's really just a easy as some other top fills. Very easy build, no leaks, gurgles, dry its, low condensation - it's just about bullet proof. And it's a simple design without dozens of o-rings to worry about - should be virtually maintenance free. Good luck with whatever you get!

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.