Kayfun/Russian wick setup that works great for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheetahAce

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
San Diego
I just got my R91 (clone) in today and I followed the OPs design and TruWick (possibly CheetWick lol). But I get a really harsh, almost burning thoat hit off of them. The coil is around 1-1.5mm off the airflow hole. I'm listening to OP going against the 'less is more' cotton idea, but its not bunching up or anything.. Any suggestions for me?

Agree w/ the other poster regarding coil distance from the air hole. It makes a difference for sure.

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
So I'm not sure if this is applicable for other people, but it makes a massive difference for me.

If you don't torch your kanthal before wrapping, I find that it's super important that you pulse fire the coil once you've got it on the deck. I get my wires from temco, and even after torching them prior to coiling, I get a sharp smelling fume coming out from my coil the first few times I pulse fire them. Every single time that I forget to do so, my first few vapes are incredibly harsh and just smells horrid. Of course, it might not be the experience other have, but it's definitely a big factor to check out if you still face the same problem after accounting for coil distance from air hole. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Necrosis

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2013
Arizona
Been on a cotton yarn kick, gave this method a try in my rocket with impressive results. 1/16" 10wrap of 28g @1.2ohms installed diagonally, using sugar & cream yarn with 1 strand removed (3 remaining, twisted). Ran one tail across the deck like normal, the other across the deck then over the coil and somewhat wedged in somewhere in the other deck (chimney on). It's tricky because the strands like to come apart as you try to position them over the coil, and trying to get it secure against something in the other deck to actually pull it down onto the coil (and hoping it stays that way). Just chain vaped through a third of a tank of juice w/ my mech and it's not bad at all. Not satisfied with the effort involved in setting it up this way, or the concern it may not hold, so I'll have some tinkering to do to see if there's an easier/stable/reproducible way to set this up using yarn.

Has anyone tried anything along the lines of having the wick run out the coil, then immediately loop back and over the coil, resulting in each tail ending in the opposite deck they would have originally?

Cadaveris

ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2013
GA, USA
I dropped the coil to right at 1mm, keeping it as close as possible without shorting out. I'm using 50/50 pg/vg juice in it. Only thing I can think of is that I'm still using too much cotton, gonna rewick it.... again.. and use as little cotton as possible lol. Do you roll your cotton up? Or just work to get it in there fluffy?

LReyes66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
United States
So in my attempts of having less amount of cotton on the base (the new method for me had thick amount of expanded cotton) I modified the new method for a diagonal coil. Pretty much the setup of the OP but I laid a separate strip on the top coil and placed it at area of the wells with the space.

Sorry forgot to take a pic of the top strand since I was in a rush.

e4anydun.jpg

I raise the coil a bit and no air restriction after 1/3 of a tank.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TruSound

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2011
Granada Hills, Ca
Nice Reyes...that's exactly what I've been doing lately, outstanding performance

So in my attempts of having less amount of cotton on the base (the new method for me had thick amount of expanded cotton) I modified the new method for a diagonal coil. Pretty much the setup of the OP but I laid a separate strip on the top coil and placed it at area of the wells with the space.

Sorry forgot to take a pic of the top strand since I was in a rush.

e4anydun.jpg

I raise the coil a bit and no air restriction after 1/3 of a tank.

mbliffert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2014
Ocean Springs, MS
I actually had a problem with bringing the wick back up and over on a 1/16 wrap.

With it being warmer outside it would start to leak while I was on the go. With the warmer weather coming I decided to try two different builds and test them out today.

1st was my 1/16 microcoil @ 1.1ohms, but wicked in the traditional "S" shape, organic cotton, no bringing the tail back up, and 2nd was a triple twisted 32 gauge micro wrapped on a 5/64 bit @1.2ohms, still wicked in the traditional way.

It has only been a day, but both coils/wick setups are performing amazing, handling the change in temperatures perfect. The flavor coming out of the triple twisted 32g micro is nuts! My Kayfun has never tasted better!

TruSound

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2011
Granada Hills, Ca
Well done Reyes, hit us back with performance details and the coil details as well, wire gauge, rating etc...

So I bought the new authentic kfl+ v2 today and decided to put on a dual coil (or a double barrel coil) with Truman's top strand method.

gy5epuva.jpg

esyvemyd.jpg

u6esa9y2.jpg

The wonders of that top strand lol.

LReyes66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
United States
Once it broke in the flavor and vape density was just phenomenal. It brought back the flavors in my mothers milk that I almost had forgotten. The one above is 28g on 1.4mm ID wrapped 11 times each coil with a .75ohm resistance.

I also made one for my r91 last night but with 30g at 1.1ohm for my provari. It was great as well but the flavor notes were a bit better with the .75ohm build

I didnt do nano coils and instead did micro coils, so the vape wasn't hot at all just warm enough to feel the vape in your lungs.

Last edited:

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
I keep hearing about "sterile cotton", and "organic cotton", and "washed cotton", and "cotton rolls".

My wife has a big bag of regular ol' cotton balls .... Any good reason why I can't just make a wick out of one of them?

Hate to go buy more cotton when there is a big bag of cotton balls in the bathroom just sitting there. Must be enough cotton balls in that bag to make hundreds of wicks!

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Jeeeze, with all the nasty stuff in those cigarettes I smoked for 40 years, I am not real worried about the cotton balls in that bag we have in the bathroom.

You might be right, but for the life of me, I can't believe cotton balls are full of chemicals ... I think I will take my chances as long as the cotton balls make a wick that holds up as long as that fancy-schmancy cotton that is somehow "organic".

TheReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
Kaua'i - Nevada
Made a Double Barrel as well, No wicking problems since. This thing is a flavor monster, not to mention it puts out some good vapor as well
28g 12 wraps each around a blunt syringe. Sadly, I do not know what gauge the needle is. Im going to say a little bigger than 11/6. Compared right next to a 1 1/6 bit it's just a hair or two bigger than the bit, Im sure the 1/16 would do just fine. Comes out to .8ohms.

feojwVH.jpg

2S0I3Ux.jpg

Last edited:

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
What does break in the wick mean exactly? I generally change the cotton wick EVERY time I refill the tank. The coil usually stays for many days...maybe a week? Then I get bored and rewrap for no good reason.

But I change the cotton each fill, sometimes even if I'm filling the same flavor. Just cause I thought new was better?

33079kj.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread