Kayfun/Russian wick setup that works great for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LReyes66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
United States
Breaking in is letting the wick fully saturate and cook the cotton til the trace of cotton taste fades away and you get full on flavor of the juice. Usually when I change wicks I fully soak the cotton before resembling and it takes probably 15-20 draws before it fully goes away.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
Once, when I was out of town and therefore did not have access to my E-Cig supplies, I used cotton from a q-tip for a KF (clone) build, and it was fine.

All the cotton that I've bought, including 'organic,' has been treated with something like hydrogen peroxide, according to the ingredients label, but I don't believe it affects the taste (don't know if this would be true of something like dyed cotton). As for the health impact of vaping stuff like hydrogen peroxide-treated cotton, I think that remains to be seen.

-- Glenn

I keep hearing about "sterile cotton", and "organic cotton", and "washed cotton", and "cotton rolls".

My wife has a big bag of regular ol' cotton balls .... Any good reason why I can't just make a wick out of one of them?

Hate to go buy more cotton when there is a big bag of cotton balls in the bathroom just sitting there. Must be enough cotton balls in that bag to make hundreds of wicks!

TruSound

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2011
Granada Hills, Ca
A couple minor changes to simplify the build and improve overall performance.

I've gone from 1.5 to 2mm coils, the thru wick is now short and both sides come to rest on the decks with no loops and the over the top wick is the same flat piece I'd been using also coming to rest on the decks. The last and biggest improvement came from raising the coil an additional 2mm or so off the air inlet, everyone seems to think that a 2mm gap is where it should be...I'd have to disagree with that, this larger gap allows for better airflow, the improvement in vapor and flavor was immediately apparent.

But if you want to win cloud contests with a Kayfun you'll need to use that CheetWick, it's way to complicated a build for me so I'll just continue with my simple little setup that works great. ;)

Gone back to a single twisted 28 coil and perfected the centered coil with a 2nd strand in the middle where I can do it in like 5 mins lol.

Hey Truman, got any updates on a newer wick method? :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Hoorah. This thread sure has died down.

In any case I've been trying the wick-over-coil method once in a while over this past few months and I've always been disappointed: overall flavor and vapor was just terrible and I hated it. Took a few drags and pretty much just have up each time.

Turned out that was my problem. Did another one up. This time I stuck with it beyond 10 drags and turned the voltage higher than I usually would and YOWZA. Full on flavor and it's chucking vapor.

Turned out all it ever needed was a tad more time for the wick to break in. Silly me.

Burping out loud using Tapatalk

trunkmonkey

May 7, 2014
Portland, OR
Also tried the Trusound method and have been sharing it with others. Really improved flavor, minor drop in airflow, but it reduced how fast and the overall heat of the coil and vape. This made me have an unsatisfying vape quicker due to battery drop off on a mech quicker than a standard kayfun wick setup. So today I modified the Trusound method by leaving both ends of the wick a bit long and only looping them up from the juice channels up between the coil and screw along side the coil and not on top. So far it is giving the same Truman flavor, but heating up as quick as a normal setup. Thanks Trusound ;)

vassilbg

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2014
RSM, CA
I just got my KLP+ v2 last weekend and already tried a few different coil builds... I love tinkering. I just tried method 2 this morning, coming from a chimney build with added cotton. I have to say, taste is about the same, if not a little better. Vapor production and TH are def A LOT better. I'm going with this moving forward. I used A1 Kanthal 28g about 10 wraps at 1.6ohms.

My only fear is that I put too little cotton, but from my experience and seeing what others have written, it does swell, so even though you may think you are putting too little, once it swells, its sufficient.

TruSound

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2011
Granada Hills, Ca
It's been awhile since I've visited this thread, thanks for the shout out Mark...things have changed a little bit on my KF builds, I use Cellucotton Rayon as my wicking material now in a 2.5mm 7 wrap .8-.9 ohm 26 gauge Kanthal coil with no wick over the top. The performance is so good with this setup I never felt like the over-wick was necessary, maybe it's time to give it a shot. I'm happy to hear my previous build is working well for you.

Here's the current Rayon build, there's a number of benefits to using it, it wicks way better than cotton, produces better flavor, outlasts cotton by a ridiculously long time, I go at least 4 tankfuls before rewicking and it produces a nice warm vape in the bigger diameter 26 gauge coil.
imagejpg1-5.jpg

The Truman wick in a kayfun is still King. I've got the squapeR, fogger4, aios, taifun and kayfun is still on top!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread