Kayfun/Russian wick setup that works great for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
I was going to post this in one of the kayfun/russian threads, but couldn't choose which one to put it in.
mods, feel free to move or merge this as you see fit.

OK, so when I first got my russian, I got it setup great the first time.
I seem to remember following pbusardos method and it worked great.
My following setups didn't work so well, because I kept reverting to my "less is more" train of thought that I have been using for other tanks/drippers when using cotton.
I had wicking issues AND flooding as well.

I got to the point that I dreaded rebuilding it.
Once I had a good setup, it seemed like the next one sucked.
I was using organic cotton, and sterile cotton setups.
I have found that my better setups were not always, but mostly with the sterile cotton.

So, I finally honed in on a setup that has been bombproof for several rebuilds now, and wanted to share it for anybody that has had problems like I was having.
I am not an expert by any means, but have gone through a decent amount of trial and error to get this working perfect every time.

My focus here is the wick, not the coil. But if you're wondering, I am using 27ga kanthal wrapped on a 1.7mm post. Hovering around .99ohm at the moment.
I have been using this coil for about 2-3 weeks and it's still going strong.

I am using CVS sterile cotton, which has a tendency to pull apart if you use too much.
I have found the perfect amount is when it starts to bunch up a hair on one side of the coil, but not break. It creates a small shoulder on one side of the coil, as you can see in the pic.

I trim the cotton so it is about the width of the base of the atty, as seen above. The picture makes it look bigger than that, but it is about 22mm wide.

Next up I soak the wick, but not to the point where it is dripping.
You need the juice to "glue" the wick to the sides of the deck.

Bend the ends in like shown in the pictures below.
The wick should flow smoothly out of the coil and take a nice S bend to lay near the juice well.

One concern is that when you screw the lower part of the chimney on, the wick will get caught in the threads, which is what would happen if you just bent the ends in and didn't push the wick against the sides of the deck.
You can see in the below pics that the wick takes up more space than the threaded portion that the chimney screws onto.
The second pic below shows that there is better clearance after pushing the wick against the sides of the deck.

Before shaping wick against deck sides.......

After............

In the above pic, the picture doesn't really do justice.
In person, you want to be able to see the threaded portion of the deck clearing the wick where it sticks out.

After you screw the chimney on, the wick may get tugged a bit to one side.
Get in there and pull the wick back to where it was previously.
I use a dental pick.
I also make sure I am not compressing the wick too much.
I want the wick covering the juice channels, but definitely not stuffed into the holes.
I don't put the ends of the wick on the juice channels.
The ends of the wick lay against the very far edge, where the chimney and the deck meet.

This setup has worked amazing, and totally goes against my normal "less is more" approach.
It never floods.
It wicks so well, that I almost always see bubbles rise up after a couple pulls, if not every pull.

One of my suspicions of people having wicking problems is due to the style of "draw" people take.
If you take massive lung hits, I think you are less likely to have wicking problems.....but may possibly be more prone to flooding issues.
On the other side of the spectrum, if you are like me, and usually do light "mouth to lung" inhales, you may not be creating enough suction for the juice to wick properly.

Anyways, that's all I've got.
I hope somebody finds it helpful.

Reactions: seminolewind

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
Thanks!
Vapor and flavor are both excellent.
One thing I didn't mention, as I was focusing on the wick rather than the coil, is the height of the coil off the air flow hole.
If you look at the 3rd pic from the top, it shows a good representation of what I have found to work well.
Im guessing it is about 1-1.5mm.

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
Great write up. Thats basically how I wick mine, though I use 30ga wire to hit around 1.6ohms on the coil. My main battery is an eVic so that is like the sweet spot for max'ing out the eVic.

I've done unrolled cotton balls and peaches & cream 100% cotton yarn from walmart. I get excellent results from both, but I feel the fluffy cotton ball holds juice better (and thats only my opinion, not fact or anything). I think the fluffed cotton performs better when not rolled tight, more just "shaped" with your fingers.

Good job bro!

Reactions: seminolewind

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
Nice looking wick for sure.
I have just one tip that will solve one the things you mention.
When you wind your coils, try winding them in the reverse of what you now do. You will then end up with the coil setting 90 degrees different than the present location. This will cause the chimney to not pull the wick away from the wall when you screw the chimney on. The wick tails will be pointing in the same direction that the chimney threads on.

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
When you wind your coils, try winding them in the reverse of what you now do. You will then end up with the coil setting 90 degrees different than the present location. This will cause the chimney to not pull the wick away from the wall when you screw the chimney on. The wick tails will be pointing in the same direction that the chimney threads on.

Great tip Portertown. I had thought of that at one point, but by the next time I recoiled, I had forgotten.

TruSound

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2011
Granada Hills, Ca
Nice build and write up Savage... If you don't mind I have one suggestion you can try on your next build...if you loop some extra wick material up off the decks and cover the coil you'll see an immediate difference in vapor production and flavor...just make sure you leave a larger gap than you normally between the coil and vent.

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
Nice build and write up Savage... If you don't mind I have one suggestion you can try on your next build...if you loop some extra wick material up off the decks and cover the coil you'll see an immediate difference in vapor production and flavor...just make sure you leave a larger gap than you normally between the coil and vent.

Truman,
I put a new wick in my Kayfun Lite earlier tonight and did what you are saying about looping the wick tails back up to the top of the coil.
Wow, that made a lot of difference in the flavor. I had seen your build on the Kayfun Lite thread and had been wanting to try it.
I don't know why I waited so long to try it.
This will be the way I wick from now on. I used the Peaches and Cream yarn for this wick, but I normally use organic cotton balls. Which do you think is better, the yarn or cotton balls?

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
I prefer the rolled cotton, it definitely takes a little more finesse to get a micro-coil wicked up...worth the extra effort though.

Thanks,
I have some of the sterile rolled cotton from CVS that I have not boiled yet. I will boil it tomorrow for a try in one of my Kayfun Lites.

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
Thanks,
I have some of the sterile rolled cotton from CVS that I have not boiled yet. I will boil it tomorrow for a try in one of my Kayfun Lites.

I've never boiled my sterile or organic cotton.

The sterile tastes the cleanest and seems to wick faster.
It is also not as strong and a little more of a pain to deal with.

The organic has a slight taste for the first few drags.
It is a little easier to get a wick started.

I almost always go with the sterile now.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida

I've always done the same. This way, the chimney threads don't pull the wick as badly when it's screwed on.

IMG_0352.jpg IMG_0353.jpg

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
I'd recommend checking out RiP Tripper's chimney microcoil build. It's a vertical coil set up that produces unbelievable flavor, good TH and vapor production. I love it and actually prefer it over any horizontal set up now because I've always found airflow to be a little bit tight for me some times, and this just makes it silky smooth. It's also a hell lot faster than it looks in the video and we'll worth a shot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

I was about to comment something like that too; covering the whole top with a wad of cotton was what I was going to say.

But I have a feeling you mean something more specific.

loop material up off the decks..

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo

I think I know what you mean, but could you show a picture of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread