Kitchen Foil Cart Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

humpty

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
HK
*** Warning - use of aluminium here - Probably best you research any effects on health before trying ***

Can't think why I hadn't thought of this before.
Basically it's a filler made of aluminium foil (oh, ok, 'aluminum' for you US folks).

I can't recommend it for traveling yet, but I did put in 12 twelve drops of e-juice,
turned it upside down and it didn't leak. Definitely ok for home use though.
I found it didn't distort the flavour and had good performance from the atomizer.

K.Foil Version 1
02.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG
05.JPG
06.JPG

07.JPG
08.JPG
09.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG

13.JPG
14.JPG
15.JPG

---

1. Roll out a length of regular kitchen foil.
2. Cut it nice and straight so that's its a neat long strip more than 2xcart width.
3. Fold it same way 3 times.
4. Roll it from the loose end. It won't be thick enough yet.
5. Cut the roll in half.
6. Open up one half and roll it on top of the other. It should be just thick enough now.
7. Measure it against a cart and mark it so that it's just (2mm) inside the cart. Cut off the end.
8. Pop it inside the cart.

That's it.

Edit ---

P.S - When you cut it with a scissors, it flattens the end, so just unroll / reroll it to open up the ends.
- The atty should make a slight dent on the surface.
- Different Cartridges require different thickness, e.g the 510 cart needs less length before rolling.

Edit ===

K.Foil Version 2 - An improvement on the e-juice capacity (about 5 extra drips).

22.JPG
23.JPG
24.JPG
25.JPG
26.JPG

5a. Instead of two equal halves, make one half 2mm short of the cart barrel, and the other by half of that.

6a. Blanket the shorter roll inside the longer roll, so that one end is thicker. The other end should have a hollow centre, this is for the extra e-juice.

8a. Pop it inside the cart hollow side first.

(don't forget to unroll-reroll after cutting).

Last edited:

humpty

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
HK
I would be more concerned with the amount of space the foil takes up. Is that an 801(penstyle) cart? How many less drops does the cart take now?

For version1 I got 12 drops on a 901 cart. It holds about 4 drops at the end so you only get about 8 drops worth.
Version 2 adds about 5 drops more.

501 carts can carry about 3 drops more in each case.

Last edited:

humpty

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
HK
Okay, after a bit more experimenting, I found there was there wasn't a lot
of difference between the two versions, maybe 3 to 5 drops more.

But I did find a difference in the way the foil holds the liquid. If you simply
roll the foil and not fold it at all, it seems to accept more during the refills.

So this is another more simple version.

1. Tear out a strip of kitchen foil about a 3 inch side.
2. Start rolling it. This is a bit tricky at first but once you get going it gets easier.
It doesn't have to be too tight. Keep rolling until you think it's too thick for the cart.
1.JPG

3. Test it to fit the cart. If it's too thick, unroll a bit and cut it off to make it thinner.
Keep doing this until you get a snug fit.
4. Measure and cut of the length of the cart.
2.JPG
3.JPG

5. Trim off about 2 mm so that it doesn't stick out of the cart.
6. You'll want to open out the ends after cutting with a toothpick or something.
(don't unroll it now, cos it's difficult at this stage to re-roll it.
4.JPG

5.JPG

That's it.

You can keep the roll you have left over and just cut lengths off of that for other carts.

RedneckHippy

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2010
Dallas
Been Researching mods like this all day. After work I'm gonna get some brass wool from the gun shop and a pen spring. The idea is to put the spring down in the cart, fill cart 3/4, and top off with a ball of the brass wool. The spring will hopefully prevent wool from sliding down in the cart.

I won't be able to try it out cause I'm still waiting on an order from LF. Should be here Monday tho.

humpty

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
HK
Been Researching mods like this all day. After work I'm gonna get some brass wool from the gun shop and a pen spring. The idea is to put the spring down in the cart, fill cart 3/4, and top off with a ball of the brass wool. The spring will hopefully prevent wool from sliding down in the cart.

I won't be able to try it out cause I'm still waiting on an order from LF. Should be here Monday tho.

Yea, I tried something similar with a bit of foil. Problem was the spring I had was too small and kept getting stuck, and I had problems making a foil plug that small a size let alone leakage problems. Brass wool sounds interesting though, let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread