Kraken RBA - SHOW ME YOUR BUILDS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

specter9mm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
San Diego, CA, USA
I may have done something wrong here, but this seems to have a really hard throat hit where this fluid is normally very smooth. I have 28g kanthal around hollow core SS wicks, the coils combined measure at 1 ohm, and they both heat up evenly. I have it in a mechanical mod with a fast discharge battery. It seems to take a while to heat up. The first hit has very little vapor, but is smooth and flavorful. If I take a hit right after, I get more vapor, but it is a little harsher on the throat. The setup is brand new, so the SS wicks have not been broken in at all yet. Do they mellow out after a little use?

specter9mm-albums-setups-picture298384-kraken-dual-coil-1ohm-28g-kanthal-ss-hollow-core-wicks.jpg

specter9mm-albums-setups-picture298385-kraken-dual-coil-1ohm-28g-kanthal-ss-hollow-core-wicks-firing.jpg

aznfknpride

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2009
Hawaii
That's dope! I run cotton in everything and I believe it's the best ever. I think people who don't like cotton just haven't used it much before, yeah I said it... Im gonna copy your build, I like the angle of the coils allowing for best Airflow. That is what I don't lie about the kraken, problem solved, thanks bud!
Can you shoot another close up of the wick routing? Much appreciated.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

I use cotton exclusively in my drippers.... cotton just wont keep up with the resistance I vape at in Genisis tanks. I prefer SS cable with a mesh sleeve. Easy to clean; rinse my tank, dab wicks dry with paper towel, dry burn, rejuice and vape away. Re-sleeve my SS cable every two weeks, but even then that's not necessary.

I may have done something wrong here, but this seems to have a really hard throat hit where this fluid is normally very smooth. I have 28g kanthal around hollow core SS wicks, the coils combined measure at 1 ohm, and they both heat up evenly. I have it in a mechanical mod with a fast discharge battery. It seems to take a while to heat up. The first hit has very little vapor, but is smooth and flavorful. If I take a hit right after, I get more vapor, but it is a little harsher on the throat. The setup is brand new, so the SS wicks have not been broken in at all yet. Do they mellow out after a little use?

specter9mm-albums-setups-picture298384-kraken-dual-coil-1ohm-28g-kanthal-ss-hollow-core-wicks.jpg

specter9mm-albums-setups-picture298385-kraken-dual-coil-1ohm-28g-kanthal-ss-hollow-core-wicks-firing.jpg

The wicks and coils look good-first hit is weak because the wick is saturated with juice, you are most likely boiling the juice in the wick with the hollow core, any coil of that resistance will take longer to heat up. Second rip produces more vapor because you have less juice on the wick and actually started vaporizing the liquid. If you had a lower resistance or made a more solid wick, you wouldn't have that "primer" rip. Can't really tell you why the TH is more prominent (I have no idea what you were vaping on before, juices often taste/act differently in different style devices), other than the obvious lining up of the airholes with the coils.

Keep vaping on it and let us know if it smooths out... if it's the same after two tanks, it's probably not going to get any better.

aznfknpride

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2009
Hawaii
Here's my current and first kraken build, I ran the U wick at the 7 and 5 o'clock position using a fill hole I believe so they would both get juices while tilting. Dual Coils netting 0.72 ohm.
esyhusu4.jpg

Could look uneven in pic, but they are not. Camera adds more than just lbs...
P.S. that looks like a steam turbine, not a kraken?

schizm722

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
AR USA
I use cotton exclusively in my drippers.... cotton just wont keep up with the resistance I vape at in Genisis tanks.
This is true. I don't think anything can wick faster than SS rope.
I truly am addicted to cotton, so I can't really be a big fan of Genesis atty's.
The build you posted is beautiful and proper for a Genny. Thanks for not "ripping me a new one" for de-evolving a Genny
and taking away the performance that they are capable of.

@Tbev - wick routing:
ScreenHunter_02 Jan. 24 09.24.jpg
The wick entering on the left side of pic goes around the center post counter-clockwise and up through the left coil.
The excess goes around the post again and is slightly covering the digital display in the pic.
That end continues counter-clockwise and gets tucked between the center post and the left coil.
Same thing with the other wick, only clockwise...

As far as the tank goes, we all know it makes more sense to have a couple inches
of wick in there instead of a couple feet, but guess what?
Stuff that tank full of wicking and you have a Genny that you can carry around
upside down in your pocket...
;)

aznfknpride

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2009
Hawaii
This is true. I don't think anything can wick faster than SS rope.
I truly am addicted to cotton, so I can't really be a big fan of Genesis atty's.
The build you posted is beautiful and proper for a Genny. Thanks for not "ripping me a new one" for de-evolving a Genny
and taking away the performance that they are capable of.

Hey, you took something and made it vape the way you like... Nobody can fault you for that. Thanks for the kind words

specter9mm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
San Diego, CA, USA
Ok, been through about a tank and a half and it does seem to have settled down a bit. I don't like having to do the priming vape though. I might try a 30 gauge wrap at 1.2 ohms.

With how well this is vaping now though, the priming hit is not bothering me as much as it was before.

Last edited:

aznfknpride

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2009
Hawaii
Ok, been through about a tank and a half and it does seem to have settled down a bit. I don't like having to do the priming vape though. I might try a 30 gauge wrap at 1.2 ohms.

With how well this is vaping now though, the priming hit is not bothering me as much as it was before.

You could also try rolling a smaller piece of mesh up and put it in the hollow part of the wick (really only needs to go down to about the deck) so that there isn't so much juice sitting underneath the coil. This would be easier than pulling the whole thing apart, and would be easy to remove if it didn't work out.

aznfknpride

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2009
Hawaii
Well naturally it's thicker, so it might wick a little worse, all depending on how you build your wicks. I've had 100% VG wick very well with solid 500 mesh wick, and other times terrible with an identical build... just takes some experimenting. Your 325 should be good, I would still consider sticking a small piece of mesh inside of your hollow wick to get rid of the primer puff, unless you chain vape frequently.

OperationMove

Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Ohio, USA
I have had a great experience so far with my kraken. I have ran both duals, single, and wicks of mesh, eko/cable, and cotton. I gotta say at the end of the day I use it at .95 Ω single coil on cotton as my daily driver for my favorite cinnamon vape. I ran duals on it for a while and that worked great as well, but it is my work vape so I prefer the vapor production to be lower. I have drippers for the clouds at home. At any rate, you asked for pictures so here's pictures of my current setup.

Redo.jpg KrakDual.jpg

In case anyone was wondering, the builds shown are the following:
Pic 1: Single Coil, approx 5/64 bit, 9 wrap 26g micro, .94Ω
Pic 2: Dual Coil, 5/64 bit, 8-10 wrap 30g (For 2Ω each) for 1.0Ω

Last edited:

prophetr1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2010
Richmond
I have had a great experience so far with my kraken. I have ran both duals, single, and wicks of mesh, eko/cable, and cotton. I gotta say at the end of the day I use it at .95 Ω single coil on cotton as my daily driver for my favorite cinnamon vape. I ran duals on it for a while and that worked great as well, but it is my work vape so I prefer the vapor production to be lower. I have drippers for the clouds at home. At any rate, you asked for pictures so here's pictures of my current setup.

View attachment 298895 View attachment 298896

In case anyone was wondering, the builds shown are the following:
Pic 1: Single Coil, approx 5/64 bit, 9 wrap 26g micro, .94Ω
Pic 2: Dual Coil, 5/64 bit, 8-10 wrap 30g (For 2Ω each) for 1.0Ω

Dam i am loving this... just got my kraken and nemesis.. First rebuildable set up .. and i tried this ..... but not so much success so far... the coil doesnt seem to be the issue.. i watched some vids and think i got that .. my problem is the cotton wicking properly.. knowing how much to use.. cause mine never looked as good as your cotton wicks look store bought.lol .. i am thinking mine are too tight and strangling itself through the coil.. all i had to try was the wire that came with it.. which was only enough for 1 and a half coils.. (i was able to barely make a smaller coil out of the left over).. so i am thinking the screw driver that came with it is to small for me to wrap the coil on and still have a good wick but the screw driver is about the size as the wicking hole so maybe its just my inexperience. any pointers you can give me about the wick? Cuase mine had a burnt taste from the first pull,, and yes i soaked it with juice (primed) before i too a hit..

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
The way I determine coil diameter is with the biggest screwdriver that fits into the wick hole. Leave some cotton sticking above the coil and flipped over may help with your wicking but as far as wick diameter don't jam pack the hoke jeep the wick a bit smaller in diameter than the hole, it's going to swell and you want air to be able to travel freely into out of the tank.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread