Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cloud Minder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Don't get me wrong, I love vaping.

I love that I was able to quit smoking with vaping.

I love having all sorts of delicious flavors to cycle thru.

I love saving some money.

But where vaping fails me in replacing cigarettes for me is ... appetite supression.
Cigarettes worked very effectively for me if I was getting hunger pains and couldn't eat at that time, just fire up a cigarette and BAM! the hunger goes away for a while. Not so for vaping. In fact, if I vape the wrong e-liquid when hungry, I actually end up MORE hungry. But even the juice that is the least likely to make me more hungry, doesn't make me any less hungry.

<sigh> I miss being able to suppress my appetite.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
LOL, 24 views, 0 comments.

So either I'm the only one, ... everybody else already knows about this and only I didn't realize it, or flying ducks emerge from frozen peanut butter ketchup.

Sorry. We're all busy oogling eachothers' awesome sixpacks ;)

Not sure what to add really... personally my appetite is in constant flux anyway.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
LOL, 24 views, 0 comments.

So either I'm the only one, ... everybody else already knows about this and only I didn't realize it, or flying ducks emerge from frozen peanut butter ketchup.

sorry can't say I have heard of this issue ... however, the thought of frozen peanut butter ketchup helped curb my appetite :blink:

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
I actually get the appetite suppression with vaping, but I chain vape and that may be why. I even asked about it here a few months back. I was forgetting to eat and wasn't feeling great because of it. I tried going down to 6 mg to see if that would help but had to go back up to 12mg because 6mg made vaping blah for me. So now I keep a better eye on the clock and make myself eat when it's been a while. I totally get what you're saying Cloud Minder and it may be that you require a higher nic level to create the appetite suppression.

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
When I started vaping back in 2011, I found that when I got a case of the munchies, a good bakery flavor on top of my 650 mah eGo (this was back in 2011 lol) knocked my sweet tooth back into submission! Heck, when spring of 2012 rolled around, I decided that since I had successfully quit smoking :rickroll: I was gonna take my health one step further and lose 30 lbs.

By the end of the summer in 2012, I managed to pull that off, too.

Initially, I didn't want to respond to this thread because it sounded like bragging - but I don't want you to feel like an ECF fire hydrant, Cloud Minder!

The suggestion about upping your nicotine levels is a good one. At the time I was doing all of this, I was using 24 mg nic. I don't think it's the flavors so much as the nicotine that works as an appetite suppressant.

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
Don't know what to tell you. It might depend on the flavors you're vaping. I find the "dessert"-y type juices satisfy my craving for sweets (chocolate 'n peanut butter, custards, etc.).

Yep, same here. That has helped me with the after-dinner sweet tooth...

To the OP, there's a lot at play here. I found that several months after I quit smoking and my taste buds came back, everything tasted so damn good that I did end up eating more.

I agree with other posts too that nicotine contributes too. In cigs, you get a much quicker 'nic hit' than you do in vaping, hence a quicker appetite suppression. I did find that, when I first quit and was on 24mg, my appetite was suppressed more than today (on 12mg now).

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I get appetite suppression from vaping nicotine. Not as much as from (heavy) smoking, but enough that I've noticed more than once in recent months.

With smoking, one unit (one smoke) is enough, as long as one is heavy user. With vaping, it takes a bit of chain vaping to have it work that way, but I don't think I've ever set out for it to work. Well, perhaps in case of sweet tooth after a meal. Then, I'd prefer to vape good sweet flavor than pile up on dessert food.

The Cloud Minder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
When I started vaping back in 2011, I found that when I got a case of the munchies, a good bakery flavor on top of my 650 mah eGo (this was back in 2011 lol) knocked my sweet tooth back into submission! Heck, when spring of 2012 rolled around, I decided that since I had successfully quit smoking :rickroll: I was gonna take my health one step further and lose 30 lbs.

By the end of the summer in 2012, I managed to pull that off, too.

Initially, I didn't want to respond to this thread because it sounded like bragging - but I don't want you to feel like an ECF fire hydrant, Cloud Minder!

The suggestion about upping your nicotine levels is a good one. At the time I was doing all of this, I was using 24 mg nic. I don't think it's the flavors so much as the nicotine that works as an appetite suppressant.

LOL, it's the sweet flavors that actually make me MORE hungry.

BraveNewWorld

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
I'm cracking up at your comments after view count....
No I wish I could suppress my appetite like an analog. Coffee and smokes were what I lived on. Now I have to eat like a regular being. Simple really upped my protein and used healthier food choices plus nutritious snacks. I vape all dessert flavors so my sweet tooth is taken care of. Now I have to eat or else I feel awful, which is normal and healthy so I made two improvements on myself. Just make better food choices and allow yourself some bad ones, take a few walks. Embrace eating three square meals, that's the way it supposed to be.

Cavenerd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2014
Bahamas
I assume that this is a weight loss/maintenance issue. If it's not, just have something healthy to eat when you're hungry.

Look at it this way: Now that you are gaining lung capacity and overall health from quitting smoking, maybe you can pursue that exercise regimen that you always wanted.

Cigarettes weren't made for weight loss.
Vaping wasn't made for weight loss.
Healthy eating and exercise = weight loss/maintenance

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
Yep, same here. That has helped me with the after-dinner sweet tooth...

To the OP, there's a lot at play here. I found that several months after I quit smoking and my taste buds came back, everything tasted so damn good that I did end up eating more.

I agree with other posts too that nicotine contributes too. In cigs, you get a much quicker 'nic hit' than you do in vaping, hence a quicker appetite suppression. I did find that, when I first quit and was on 24mg, my appetite was suppressed more than today (on 12mg now).

:thumb: Yep. Ditto on that. I'm gonna have to get off my a@@ when the weather finally warms up around here!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I find I eat less (and less often) since switching to vaping 427 days ago than when I was smoking 2 PAD.

However, I also started changing my eating habits a few months prior to that. I never went on a diet per se, I simply started reducing my intake of carbs and replaced some (but by no means all) of my previous carb consumption with meats, cheeses, and vegetables. Eating fewer carbs means you will feel hungry less often, and I think, less severely.

I began vaping around the same time I started making an effort to eat healthier. I completely agree that vaping does not suppress my appetite as much as smoking analogs, however, I had a bad habit of always wanting a piece of chocolate or something sweet after every meal. Got ahold of some mint chocolate chip juice, and a few vapes on that suppresses the urge for a bite of dessert. Adding more protein to my diet has helped a LOT in keeping me fuller longer, and I think in general, using nicotine to lose weight is a dangerous road to go down. There are healthier ways to go about it that work much better. Pilates, yoga, walks (when there's not 14" of snow), and balanced meals have helped me drop two pant sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread