Laryngospasm and vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_gr

Jun 14, 2020
Greece
Hello to the forum!

It's been some months now that I have been getting breath obstruction while sleeping. Tonight was the worst. I have been vaping and eating heavily before sleep without so many fluids and tonight was one of those nights. I recently switched from MTL to DL and everytime I switch to vaping or I increase how much I vape, I do get dry mouth and throat or even ulcers before I get used to it.

I woke up in the middle of the night gasping for air and my throat was making a whistling sound. I started running around the house and found that I was unable to breathe from the nose but managed to get some air in through my mouth. Seconds later the spasms stopped and I started breathing normally but was very distressed, scared, sweating and afraid to fall asleep in case it returns. I googled it and found out that what happened is called laryngospasm and is caused by various reasons. Laryngospasm is the tightening of the muscles that surround your vocal cords (larynx). This prevents air from getting into your lungs. Laryngospasm usually only lasts a few seconds and gets better on its own. Laryngospasm that does not improve on its own is a life-threatening emergency.

It's not the first time this has happened to me but this time it was the most severe and long lasting. I literally could not breathe for a short period of time. Causes include being stressed, smoking or inhaling dust (i guess vapor too), when fluids from the stomach reach your vocal chords (i had this; I could taste fluids like vomit). I had all three causes. I fell asleep stressed, with a full stomach (I ate A LOT before going to sleep) and as always having been vaping like a chimney right before sleep.

I am not blaming vaping solely but i think it was one the causes. It's very scary and alarming and I wanted to ask if anybody had the same reaction from increasing the amount of vaping or from starting vaping. Could there be a link between vaping and such issues? Could it be an allergy?? It's only been happening the last year or so.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Yeah, i am going to visit a doctor. I might need antibiotics who knows....

Please see your doctor as soon as possible. This is a vaping forum and nobody here is qualified to diagnose or treat any diseases.

Good luck.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Could there be a link between vaping and such issues? Could it be an allergy?? It's only been happening the last year or so.
Only because you are implying it is without any actual evidence.
Vaping problems - vaping forum
Medical problems - doctor

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Okay so this has been happening for a YEAR and you are only just now getting around to mentioning it? In the wrong PLACE? We are not DOCTORS?

People amaze me sometimes.

Just GO TO THE DOCTOR DO NOT PASS GO AND DO NOT COLLECT 20 DOLLARS. GO to the doctor. Stop vaping in the meantime.

Meh, I bet we never hear from the OP again.

This thread should be moved to inadvisable. "I am having attacks where I can't breathe at all for a year, what should I do?"

Inadvisable.

Anna

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
It's the same story...over and over again.

A person suffers from a malady 'somehow' coincident with vaping...if in timeframe if nothing else. It is as if the chorus takes that as a cue for the refrain, "Go see a doctor," then goes about brow-beating the poster in infinate ways.

Consider that a person 'does have' a distress as suggested above and is looking for those that might have knowledge or similar experience. No doubt they have some angst regarding the matter. Appropriate input might be useful to them. At this point, I don't think most physicians have much expertiese about vaping other than what they may have read in offically blessed journals or perhaps what they observe in a handful of patients.

The defualt ECF-based response often seems to be that the issue is a red herring meant to cast shade upon vaping. In most cases I have seen there is simply not enough evidence to reach that 'judgement.'

Mostly instead of any signficant kindness that might be expressed towards such a person, we get, "Go see a doctor," and the hounds turn loose on them.

Would you rather a person go to a prominent medical forum with their thoghts about a possible relationship to vaping..?

CagedSpam

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2015
FoPo, Oregon
I am NOT A Doctor, this is not medical advice.

Can we suggest the OP examine the other ways their health appears to be suffering?

Stress: meditation, exercise, talk therapy

Gastrointestinal issues: modify diet, eating times and quantity .Including alcohol consumption

Vaping and smoking: attempt to cease smoking, identify possible allergic reactions to VG, PG, Nicotine, and flavorings

Sleep: don't sleep on right side while digesting, attempt to find and normalize a sleep "schedule"

Good luck and hopefully this helps. And if you're trolling you got some free food outta me...

I am NOT A Doctor, this is not medical advice.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
The defualt ECF-based response often seems to be that the issue is a red herring meant to cast shade upon vaping. In most cases I have seen there is simply not enough evidence to reach that 'judgement.'

Sorry, Cool_Breeze, but it's the only possible answer. If somebody comes here stating that they "woke up in the middle of the night gasping for air and my throat was making a whistling sound. I started running around the house and found that I was unable to breathe from the nose but managed to get some air in through my mouth. Seconds later the spasms stopped and I started breathing normally but was very distressed, scared, sweating and afraid to fall asleep in case it returns" and "I literally could not breathe for a short period of time," the only possible answer is to consult a physician. If you can't breathe, you need to see a doctor. Period.

You can't be seriously suggesting that we chit chat about PG/VG ratios with a person who's gasping for breath and is scared and sweating. May I remind you that practicing medicine without a licence is against the law?
Mostly instead of any signficant kindness that might be expressed towards such a person, we get, "Go see a doctor," and the hounds turn loose on them.

It has nothing to do with being kind. We have no right and we are not qualified to try to diagnose anybody's medical condition. The only "kind" thing to do is to tell that person to seek professional help.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Would you rather a person go to a prominent medical forum with their thoghts about a possible relationship to vaping..?

No, you tell the person unable to breathe to NOT seek advice on the Internet and see a doctor ASAP.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I'm not sure they are solely 'seeking advice.' Perhaps they are seeking information regarding the possibility that someone else may have experienced similar symptoms (in the context of vaping).

What does it matter if someone else had similar symptoms? Even if they did, if you can't breathe, you may die. OP's symptoms, even if similar to somebody else's, may be caused by some other medical condition that has NOTHING to do with what anybody else experienced. Respiratory distress needs medical attention.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
What does it matter if someone else had similar symptoms? Even if they did, if you can't breathe, you may die. OP's symptoms, even if similar to somebody else's, may be caused by some other medical condition that has NOTHING to do with what anybody else experienced. Respiratory distress needs medical attention.

What does it matter if someone can learn from something useful from someone else's experience..? Isn't that how most of us learned about and how to vape?

• Creative
Reactions: stols001

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
What does it matter if someone can learn from something useful from someone else's experience..? Isn't that how most of us learned about and how to vape?

This has nothing to do with learning about vaping. :facepalm: This is about someone who may be gravely ill and who's life may be in danger. And it may have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with vaping!!!

Not to mention that we are in the middle of Covid-19 epidemic.

See a doctor first then we'll talk.

First do no harm.

Anyway, if you don't understand the gravity and possible implications of NOT recommending seeing a doctor to a person who's struggling to breathe, then I'm just wasting my time.

Best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread