Legal question from new user

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, everybody. I'm brand new to the universe of the E-Cig, and I'm having a bit of a legal issue that I can't seem to find some info on. Hoping someone here can help me.

The issue I am having is with the Xhale O2 system sold by 7-11, or more specifically, the E-Hookah model. The idea of being able to enjoy the flavor of a hookah, regardless of location, appealed greatly to me, so I bought it and gave it a try. Unfortunately, the one I had purchased came with a bad atomizer. On the back of the package, it says that it has a full warranty of up to 1 year for faulty parts, and that you can return to place of purchase for a full refund or exchange.

After reading this, I had returned to the 7-11 where I had purchased the E-Hookah, and inquired about the exchange. After discussing my situation with the sales clerk, he went to fetch his supervisor. The rather rude supervisor said that he could not take the E-Hookah back, that it is against the law to take back any tobacco product, as governed by the FDA.

Is this correct? Does he have the legal right to refuse an exchange despite the packaging saying otherwise? I would think it legal if the manufacturer says it is ok.

sam12six

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Georgia
I think you're right (from my non-lawyer perspective) that it is legal to exchange it (as it is not yet a tobacco product governed by the FDA). That said, you're probably SOL trying to to go through an employee who's wrong but convinced he's in the right.

In your situation, I think I'd either try contacting 7-11 higher up the food chain or the manufacturer (they probably wouldn't actually do anything, but could help by referring you to someone within 7-11 who can make something happen for you).

If these don't work, you're looking at eating the cost.

Crumpet

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
central VA
I agree with the above poster. A hookah is not a tobacco product. I do think, however, that people should have to legally abide by their written word that a product is returnable. Hell, even an e-cig isn't a tobacco product. It is true that they aren't supposed to accept returns on ciggs (for example) even if they are unopened. I take stuff to the BBB....at least the store will have to respond to an inquiry from them.

Twist

Sep 14, 2010
Idaho
At the federal level warranties are governed by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. IANAL, but I'm 99% sure that when a retailer sells a product with something like that printed on the package they are legally obligated to honor it. Did you purchase the product with a credit card? If you did, before you waste a lot of time I would go back in 1 more time and inform them that if they don't honor the warranty I'm disputing the charge.

Thank you everyone for the helpful info. I actually did contact the manufacturer, and they said that they would have a new atomizer in the mail later that day, and I should receive it within the next 2 days.

I am, however, still very tempted to ask for the general manager. I would have been fine if it was against FDA, but not only did he lie, but he was very rude about it.

Crumpet

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
central VA
No they don't. The BBB has absolutely no power.

They don't have 'power' but that doesn't mean they don't have influence in a lot of instances. I have had 2 disputes resolved in my favor after contacting them. In one instance it meant that after contacting the BBB I finally got an immediate response after 3 weeks of attempting to make contact with someone at a major company and my calls, emails, and letters were not being answered. If you are a reputable business I think you will care about having a poor record with the BBB (at least I would). In the one instance that my dispute was never resolved, the merchant was a scummy small businessman, not well known anyway, who didn't seem to be the most ambitious type. As a consumer I know that I always do my research (at least nowadays after being burned in the past) and the BBB is but one of many resources I look to for information.

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
They don't have 'power' but that doesn't mean they don't have influence in a lot of instances. I have had 2 disputes resolved in my favor after contacting them. In one instance it meant that after contacting the BBB I finally got an immediate response after 3 weeks of attempting to make contact with someone at a major company and my calls, emails, and letters were not being answered. If you are a reputable business I think you will care about having a poor record with the BBB (at least I would). In the one instance that my dispute was never resolved, the merchant was a scummy small businessman, not well known anyway, who didn't seem to be the most ambitious type. As a consumer I know that I always do my research (at least nowadays after being burned in the past) and the BBB is but one of many resources I look to for information.

Sure, they can contact the merchant and try to mediate the situation, but you said the merchant HAD to respond to an inquiry by the BBB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread