Less typical health concerns (non-nicotine related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaperman

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2012
New Orleans, LA
First I'll remind everybody that I'm a happy vaper, and strongly suspect that vaping is *FAR* safer for me than those clove "cigars" I was on just 3 months or so back, so please cut me some slack as far as flaming. But I've got some questions about health risks. As much curiosity as concern.

I know the jury's still out on how good for us nicotine vapor is. I've made the decision that I should probably ignore this, as nicotine is 'the whole point' as far as many vapers (myself included) are concerned. This post was not motivated by the typical 'is nicotine safe?' question.

I'll just list out what I'd like to know:

I am a little curious as to what's in our flavoring and where it comes from. I'm hoping that's a fairly easy one to shoot down--maybe not in an 'overall' sense, but in a general sense, and maybe a vendor-specific sense.

I'm also curious about plastic leaching. What risks are there with vaping in that situation? We notice this on our clearos, and generally stop using them after, but does this also happen on the plastics in the opaque cartridges used in the lookalikes that are commonly used in health studies? Is it possible that they are stewing in their own plastics for months and users don't have any way to know?

Also our 'lack of combustion products' gives me a ton of sub-questions:
What is 'new coil' taste? Something seems to be burning off, but what is it?
What is 'burnt taste'? Not so much what does it taste like, but what's happening?
I've seen wadding fuse to lookalike atomizers, and assume the same happens to some extent with wick/coil setups--could there be health effects there? I'm guessing there is some form of reaction that is going on.
What is this wick/wadding made of?
Relating (I think) to flavoring, could there be negative health effects from using a clearo after a 'dry burn'? What are the products of this process?

Also, from regulation standpoint, what rules could we expect to see in the near future as far as e-cig materials?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread