Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I like the andy duphrame approach. When they say stop sending them, we send 2. Plus I believe it gives ammunition to advocacy groups, politicians, and and even the ones perusing legal action against the FDA. Plus advocacy groups have no way of showing the public and government directly the number of people who support a policy change.
I agree, it's why I never stopped mine. I believe in hitting them from every angle until they're forced to acknowledge us.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
the problem is that the petitions are not properly advertized. Can we get admin to sticky these petitions? maybe send link to our favorite reviewers. We can hit 100000 signatures in a week if we get the word out.
you look at the #s here and it seems plausible but even here I scuttle through CASAA, FDA, News, Legislature, etc etc
Id like to see a distinct Forum or blog on how to fight & defend your vaping rights. There you go Lessifer, do you have time to blog them?

Reactions: pineappledan

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
I don't think 2 is enough. I think we need to keep submitting petitions saying the FDA does not have the right to restrict free trade without evidence the product is harmful to the public.
I presumed that was the function of the FDA. Have you let them hear from you as a tax payer?

pineappledan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Dartmouth
I presumed that was the function of the FDA. Have you let them hear from you as a tax payer?
The FDA has the authority to regulate the sales of products that pose a danger to public health. They do not have the authority to regulate products because they don't know. Ignorance is never an excuse in the real world. It shouldn't be an excuse in policy.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
The FDA has the authority to regulate the sales of products that pose a danger to public health. They do not have the authority to regulate products because they don't know. Ignorance is never an excuse in the real world. It shouldn't be an excuse in policy.
Since this issue of "deeming" came to light Ive been noodling around the FDA site one too many times.
The voluminous materials there makes the site difficult to navigate but you, and working w/CASAA or any of the advocate groups are preaching to the choir here at ECF. please get your support for vaping products out to their ears. if you visit the FDA site more than 2-3 minutes a site survey will also pop up if its not blocked by your browser. Be loud Pineappledan,
its the next 24 months that we must be very loud!

pineappledan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Dartmouth
Since this issue of "deeming" came to light Ive been noodling around the FDA site one too many times.
The voluminous materials there makes the site difficult to navigate but you, and working w/CASAA or any of the advocate groups are preaching to the choir here at ECF. please get your support for vaping products out to their ears. if you visit the FDA site more than 2-3 minutes a site survey will also pop up if its not blocked by your browser. Be loud Pineappledan,
its the next 24 months that we must be very loud!
I was raised to defend what I believe is right, and stand against what I believe is wrong. Rest assured, I will stand up for change, even if I stand alone.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
That's what I'm trying to do by signing the petition, letting them hear from me.
As has been stated earlier in the thread, there where already two white house petitions that where successful in getting enough signatures, and both where brushed off by the white house. Unless you get signatures in the millions they are not worth the paper (or bandwidth) they are written on. Signing a petition may feel good, but is completely useless.

Besides that little issue, another problem is that nearly all of the petitions that have shown up in regards to vaping are badly written (including both of the ones you are promoting. Les's in
particular is essentially anti-THR and promotes the same lies we have been fed by the ANTZ). I will make a guess and say those that have been around a long time and have a good understanding of the issues, and have the skills to write a good petition, know enough to understand how useless they are so are not going to bother writing and promoting something that has little to no value.

Petitions are to easy to ignore to be of any real worth. The white house has already done it twice. Doing the same thing that has already failed, and expecting a different result is not a definition of effective advocacy.

pineappledan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Dartmouth
As has been stated earlier in the thread, there where already two white house petitions that where successful in getting enough signatures, and both where brushed off by the white house. Unless you get signatures in the millions they are not worth the paper (or bandwidth) they are written on. Signing a petition may feel good, but is completely useless.

Besides that little issue, another problem is that nearly all of the petitions that have shown up in regards to vaping are badly written (including both of the ones you are promoting. Les's in
particular is essentially anti-THR and promotes the same lies we have been fed by the ANTZ). I will make a guess and say those that have been around a long time and have a good understanding of the issues, and have the skills to write a good petition, know enough to understand how useless they are so are not going to bother writing and promoting something that has little to no value.

Petitions are to easy to ignore to be of any real worth. The white house has already done it twice. Doing the same thing that has already failed, and expecting a different result is not a definition of effective advocacy.
As previously stated in this thread, and not yet challenged, these petitions can be shared with advocacy groups to help support our plight.
Expecting others to speak for you is not a definition of effective advocacy either.
Hopefully I never understand that my first amendment right to petition the government is useless.

Reactions: Ipster

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
As previously stated in this thread, and not yet challenged, these petitions can be shared with advocacy groups to help support our plight.
Expecting others to speak for you is not a definition of effective advocacy either.
Hopefully I never understand that my first amendment right to petition the government is useless.

I, and a few other very dedicated supporters, have had a petition going for over a year now. We're at just under 60,000 signatures. Most of the benefit from the petition is that I can use it to send out pieces of information that are good for vapers to know through the update system.

I support hitting them from every angle, as much as possible.

Always the easiest way out, criticism. Hey, takes less time than writing 20 letters to local, state, federal resources.
:2c:
cheers

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
You are implying with your response that anyone who does not sign petitions is expecting someone else to speak for them. That is a bogus response. It is about effective advocacy and the best way to petition the government. Petitions are not the way to do it if you actually want to be effective.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
You are implying with your response that anyone who does not sign petitions is expecting someone else to speak for them. That is a bogus response. It is about effective advocacy and the best way to petition the government. Petitions are not the way to do it if you actually want to be effective.
Just so we know what we all should be doing, what have been the effective advocacy efforts on a federal level, and what effects have they had?

pineappledan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Dartmouth
Here are some groups that petitioned and protested for years to get their voices heard. They did not give up after a few petitions were denied:
Women's rights movement
the abolition of slavery
the civil rights movement
The lifting of prohibition
marijuana legalization in Montana
gay marriage
the cruelty to animals movement
the american indian movement

If all these groups taught me anything, it's that no 1 action brings change, but a combination of many actions taken, and giving up accomplishes nothing.

Reactions: DC2

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Just so we know what we all should be doing, what have been the effective advocacy efforts on a federal level, and what effects have they had?
Senator Johnson from the state I live in has stated that he got involved in the vaping issue because people contacted him. I would have to assume a good many people contacted him. I have been getting plenty enough clues from other politicians that the same thing is happening elsewhere. These people are hearing directly from there constituents, and that is effective. It is orders of magnitude more effective then signing a petition that they will likely never see.

Reactions: DC2

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Here are some groups that petitioned and protested for years to get their voices heard. They did not give up after a few petitions were denied:
Women's rights movement
the abolition of slavery
the civil rights movement
The lifting of prohibition
......... legalization in Montana
gay marriage
the cruelty to animals movement
the american indian movement

If all these groups taught me anything, it's that no 1 action brings change, but a combination of many actions taken, and giving up accomplishes nothing.
Again you are implying that by not signing a badly written petition that has been shown to be entirely useless, that those of us that don't sign them are giving up. That is completely bogus on your part.

pineappledan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Dartmouth
It is about effective advocacy and the best way to petition the government. Petitions are not the way to do it if you actually want to be effective.
I'm confused, could you please elaborate? If petitions are not an effective way to petition the government...

And just to be clear I am saying that if you only join an advocacy group, you are NOT speaking for yourself, you are relying on others to speak for you. Signing a petition IS speaking for yourself, because your signature is there (whether its paper or digital) saying you support the cause outlined in the petition.
How many of us have an aarp, aaa, or papa johns reward membership? Does that mean we support what they advocate? If AARP gets up and says they advocate something, how do we know it's what the members support? If CASAA says they advocate something, how do we know how many of their members support it? Does CASAA list their members? How do they describe the percentage of the voting population that is behind their cause? That is very important in a democracy, and petitions show a solid number of people SAYING they directly support something. Petitions are tools to be used to describe the level of support for a cause, and advocacy groups are tools to be used to collect and convey tools like petitions, medical studies, and other data, and convey that information to the public and legislature to promote the cause.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Senator Johnson from the state I live in has stated that he got involved in the vaping issue because people contacted him. I would have to assume a good many people contacted him. I have been getting plenty enough clues from other politicians that the same thing is happening elsewhere. These people are hearing directly from there constituents, and that is effective. It is orders of magnitude more effective then signing a petition that they will likely never see.
Actually, Senator Johnson stated that he got involved after he heard from a business owner in his constituency, specifically Christian Berkey of Johnson Creek, but that's beside the point.

What most of the advocates in vaping seem to not acknowledge is that we are not big enough on our own to truly matter. By "we" I mean vapers who are actively involved in advocacy. We are not effectively spreading the message. We need to engage those who are NOT ALREADY INVOLVED and promote awareness. Look at the ice bucket challenge.

pineappledan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Dartmouth
So you are saying we're all set then? all we have to do is write our representatives and we're done? I did that so it's time to kick back and watch this legislation dissolve.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread