Petition the administration to recognize e-cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mammal

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
Connecticut, USA
Hey Mammal, that sounds like a pretty good approach.

But it assumes the FDA gives a crap about something other than money.
And just maybe they might, so I'd like to see what others have to say.
:)

I know some people involved in research (or worse, regulating the researchers - lab safety and all that!) - Doing Science Right is, unfortunately, expensive, everyone's budgets aren't looking too hot right now, and the US system generally relies on private companies (be they e-cig vendors or Pfizer) footing the bill privately to back up an application demonstrating their stuff is safe/effective enough to sell. (This for 'drugs', and to a much more relaxed extent 'medical devices', hence the classification being such a big deal in the federal case.)

In the US, the FDA's mandate is really harm prevention - private enterprise is welcome to sell whatever it wants, but after all the patent-medicine nightmares in past centuries the 'D' part of the FDA's authority was invoked to erect a basic hurdle of "prove it won't kill people, or at least will do something provably worthwhile for the risk." Research falls mostly to the private sector or other institutions getting grant funding (national labs, grants, etc). In the single-payer countries the regulators are much more involved in promoting direct research (the UK NHS critter I know is always freaking out about how few clinical trials are in progress in the US vs. the 'beleagered' UK), at the cost of having one authority directing which treatments get explored and covered. [The messy "Obamacare" compromise of keeping the insurers in the loop but mandating they actually pay for care means that, hopefully, the insurers will eventually take more interest in actually optimizing treatments and improving outcomes, but there won't be one central 'Death Panel' authority deciding what is and isn't covered.]

Anyhow, on-topic, the good news is that I seem to remember taking a survey from the Swiss or somewhere, so someone is taking the first steps to collecting hard data, and eventually that will provide some sort of basis for the FDA to act rationally with, instead of the basic "This is probably not as safe to inhale as air" argument that applies equally to actual tobacco and household cleanser.

[Probably the most helpful thing in the short term would be a survey confirming our suspicions - or disproving, if we're deluding ourselves - that ecigs are pretty much entirely being picked up by former long-term smokers, not The Impressionable Children (Won't Somebody Think Of Them?). This might ease some of the panic for the decade or so it'll take for any real conclusions to be drawn, and put the focus on comparing our beloved e-gloop to tobacco toxin-for-toxin, rather than to A Lifestyle of Purity and Virtue.]

Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Just recieved this gem in my email:

Wrote a decent response, sent to a few emails and entered int heir contact form:

Very nice job, Stevejo.

(And everywhere in ND is "the middle of nowhere" ... I live near Washington DC, which morally speaking is also "the middle of nowhere.:)

stevejo

Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
(And everywhere in ND is "the middle of nowhere" ... I live near Washington DC, which morally speaking is also "the middle of nowhere.:)

Ha! Someone gets it! I love it! I've had too many people ask me 'but where in ND?' to which i respond 'well, you can cross the state without turning the steering wheel, so it doesn't matter'

On topic, feel free to use that anywhere and to anyone, though I would recommend changing some of the personal story portion to accurately reflect your experiences.

@Mammal--

The references to NYT, Wikipedia, and others all referenced established scientific studies in them, and also carried the weight of what could be construed as a 'public' opinion regarding those studies.

I particularly like the passage from the wiki article stating:
Furthermore, FDA methods "have been lambasted in journals" by some medical and health reasearch experts who noted the potentially harmful chemicals were measured at "about one million times lower concentrations than are conceivably related to human health.

Point being, although media articles may not have any scientific sway, the research that they are reporting on do, and for politicians, the only 'research' that matters is public opinion. I believe that the articles and references that I quoted combined those two well.

Not attacking or arguing, just shedding light on the 'why' of what I used.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
My response bounced back with an "we can't read all these emails, you'll just have to go the wh site." (paraphrazed).

This part says it all:
"we also want to make sure you know about the Great American Smokeout, the American Cancer Society's nationwide campaign to encourage smokers to make a plan to quit."
A "plan" to quit, not a "way" to quit!
Notice who the WH is protecting? Yep, the ACS who gets their funding from conventional Cigarette tax money.

How much money, percentage, exactly do the orgs and societies receive from cig taxes so they can do their "plan" campaigns?

sarsi

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2011
Cincy area, OH
I want to sign this petition however, I do not see where to sign it. The only thing I am seeing on my screen is share it with FB or Twitter. I created an account & signed in...What am I missing? Can someone help?...I want to do my part and start signing petitions and writing letters! Thx

I just discovered this morning that the White House has opened up a system for creating petitions that the administration will consider for further action/ possible legislation. I created a petition for the administration to recognize e-cigarettes as an effective alternative to smoking. I think if we get some signatures on this we might actually get some attention. The administration itself has claimed that smoking costs the country $100 billion+ dollars each year in healthcare costs, as well as lost productivity from smoking related illness. E-cigarettes might very well bring those costs down, reducing our national deficit. Supporting this industry would also create jobs and bring production back to America.

Sign the petition here, and be sure to tell your fellow vapers to do the same!

PLEASE NOTE THAT ALTHOUGH THE MINIMUM NUMBER IS 5,000 TO QUALIFY, WE WANT AS MANY AS POSSIBLE, AND WE WILL NEED ABOUT 6,000 TO ENSURE THAT DISQUALIFIED SIGNATURES (AND THERE WILL BE SOME) DO NOT TAKE THE TOTAL BELOW 5,000.
KEEP SIGNING!!

- Roly

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I want to sign this petition however, I do not see where to sign it. The only thing I am seeing on my screen is share it with FB or Twitter. I created an account & signed in...What am I missing? Can someone help?...I want to do my part and start signing petitions and writing letters! Thx
This petition has already run it's course, and we have already received our reply...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/legislation-news/249012-reply-fda.html

But if you want to get involved, all I can say is yes, please do!

Here is a good place to start...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...test-awareness-double-prizes.html#post4875107

Especially read the part about CASAA and then click the link to join.
Anybody that wants to get involved should start by joining CASAA and then you can go from there.

sarsi

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2011
Cincy area, OH
I read the reply while I was there to sign. Just like me...day late, dollar short lol...But I did sign up for CASAA & will start staying better informed! Thanx
This petition has already run it's course, and we have already received our reply...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/legislation-news/249012-reply-fda.html

But if you want to get involved, all I can say is yes, please do!

Here is a good place to start...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...test-awareness-double-prizes.html#post4875107

Especially read the part about CASAA and then click the link to join.
Anybody that wants to get involved should start by joining CASAA and then you can go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread