Let's make a list of juices/flavors that crack tanks, ce2's/clearos...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
Interesting, never seen or heard of this. What exactly happens? Are we talking a lil dripping after crack or a mini explosion of sorts where juice gets all over?
My experience is that they just have a few very small cracks so when you pick it up it will be wet and if you lay it down it will leak on what ever you set it on. If you leave it on after that it will get worse and could crack badly in your pocket for sure, and the tube will completely break off and make a mess. Not to worry allot, because most juices do not harm the tube, but this is why my4jewels is making a list of juices to pay more attention to. Also the tubes will crack after awhile with good juice because they are stressed when pushed down over the O-ring area at the factory. So just keep an eye out for cracking. As is understand the new ones have much better tubes. Also if you are real concerned you can make a syringe mod out of a BD 3ml syringe, and it will never crack,just a little work to make one. Vape on.

erich

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Sticky pls! I haven't been caught with this yet because so far I've just kept my daily in the tank and used everything else in smaller quantities in other devices. If your tank cracks, well, that sucks, but the replacement tank "glass" is pretty cheap. However, I do have concerns about the aforementioned post of the chemical reaction disolving polycarbonate into my liquid. It would probably just start out looking normal, like when the viscosity of the juice makes it stick to the insides a little bit. If you're using it while this is taking place, that can't be good.

If we can find the harmful effects of ingesting vaporized polycarbonate, it may or may not prove to be rather harmless. However, we don't really know what the resulting compound of the chemical reaction would be. I don't want to scream "FIRE!" here, since we don't know. However,
Vendors appear to be leaving us on our own on these (can't say I blame them, but they should be helping with or flat out doing this research IMO). I definitely think we should find out what the resulting compound could be. If it turns out to be essentially harmless, we could at least ask the vendor to include the results of this thread in the disclaimer rather than just, in effect, "we dunno".

This is the language from the Vaporescence site, "PLEASE NOTE - While the manufacturers of polycarbonate tubing advertise it as being unbreakable we have had three tanks "frost" and shatter due to other peoples eliquids. We have had no problems. While no one is really sure what causes this problem it is very rare and only with certain liquids. It could be due to essential oils, high ph, or many other things, but again no one really knows. We have decided not to cover this problem with any sort of warranty as this is not our fault or anything we can prevent. We are sorry for any inconvenience but we will make replacement tanks available for purchase."

Last edited:

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
I have stated this on another thread: polycarbonate generally sucks in any chemical environment; it sucks even more where there is heat involved as well.

Add to that the notching effect, and you have a pre-programmed failure. Notching is a mechanical cut or nick in the plastic which can stem from light abuse to poor finishing which will turn out to be a starting point for a crack to propagate. Amorphous (non crystalline) materials are particularly subject to this, and it does not take much of notch to cause a problem.

With the metal ends, you will also make the problem worse since you have the differential rate of expansion between the plastic and metal to make the problem even worse. This should not be a big problem at room temperature, but in hot climates/environments the metal will cause expand faster than the plastic causing a lot of stress on the tube. An example would be a parked car on a hot, sunny day where the inside of your car can easily be 30-50 degrees hotter than the ambient temperature.

Although polycarbonate would not have been my first choice, my suspicion is that a good many of the problems are caused by the poor finishing when the tubes are cut. Take a piece of fine grit sandpaper/emery paper (greater than 200 grit) and gently sand the ends until they are smooth.

Someone suggested Pyrex which is actually pretty tough and is resistant to just about anything chemical. The only problem is that it is hard to cut properly. I would have to dig into this, but my guess is that one would have to replace the regular wheel on a tube cutter with a diamond scribing wheel.

Polycarbonate machines (cuts) easily and is clear. Unfortunately, transparent plastics are all amorphous, and amorphous polymers generally show poor chemical Resistance. There are plenty of other plastics to choose from, however, which will be translucent and will exhibit all of the chemical and mechanical properties required in vaping.

The tubes just will not be as pretty.

So far, the honeysuckle has not caused me any problems (DIY with PA at about 10%).

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
If you replace the clear tube with a cut to size new tube, out of a BD 3ml syringe, and it will never crack, its easy to make one. AND they are cheap, they work very well. I bought mine at the Walmart pharmacy. All you need is a box cutter, and do be careful not to cut yourself, or you can use a xacto knife.

Last edited:

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
UPDATE:

My aim is to compile a list of juice and flavorings that may cause potential problems as far as cracking polycarbonate tanks. Anything listed here may cause your polycarbonate tank to crack. I just ordered 3' of polycarbonate tubing. I am going to cut the tubing and use it in my tanks to try out some questionable flavors. This way, I won't be upset if I crack one, but I'll have an answer on some of these variables. I am primarily focused on the polycarbonate tanks, although this info can easily apply to other tanks.

I have heard good things about the new ce2's with thicker tubing. I have also heard that the ce2 "syringe mod" can take just about anything. YMMV. There is also a wonderful thread ongoing here on how to make your own "syringe tank mod". http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...756-homemade-syringe-tank-mod-looks-easy.html

Also, bear in mind that different vendors may use different ingredients to make the same flavors. So, a flavored e juice you get from one vendor that is safe for yout tank may not be safe from another vendor, or vice versa. For instance, I have no trouble at all with VaporGod strawberry kiwi, but Mrs. T's strawberry shortcake can potentially crack you polycarbonate tank. Clear as mud, huh?

Some of these are premixed juices, some are flavorings that DIY'ers use. Contributions have been made by myself and other members. So far we have:

Any juice that has:

Sour flavors
Malic acid
Citrus acid
Cinnamon like "atomic cinnamon" types, not warm cinnamon like cinnamon coffe cake, this is okay
Wintergreen juice or flavoring
TPA ripe banana flavoring
TPA honeysuckle flavoring
TPA maraschino cherry flavoring
TPA cherry blossom flavoring
TPA root beer flavoring
Mrs. T's strawberry shortcake, snickerdoodle
KBV Hummingbird nectar
mimosa(because of the orange)
cola(because of cinnamon)?
Vapor Renu Teaberry, cherry vanilla (possibly most of their flavors)
Oil based/e liquid that conains essential oils, when mixed with pg/vg, creates esters which will crack plastics
E liquids that contain triacetin, used in vg liquids to carry flavor more effectively
Vapalicious Gooey Butter Cake
Nutmeg
Clove oil

I just noticed that Perfumer's Apprentice lists triactetin as in ingredient in some of their flavors, so be sure to check that out.

With so many folks using tanks nowadays, let's all contribute here!!

Disclaimer: These are not "bad" juices. They just have the potential to cause cracking in tank systems using polycarbonate tubing.

Last edited:

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
I have seen Mt. Dew flavoring and F U C Cancer.com's Mt. Dew Baha Blast and Strawberry Limeade. I switched from polycarbonate tubes to vinyl tubing. Works way better, never cracks and is super cheap to replace.

I've never heard of that website. I looked and couldn't find it. They sell e liquid?

I just took a quick look online for vinyl tubing. At first glance, it seems that it's only available in 100' lengths. Where do you get yours?

Last edited:

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
No guaranty, but you might want to check out: M1A1 Buzz Tank - notcigs.com Buzz specifically went to a material that isn't polycarbonate (and isn't Pyrex) for it. (I vape things that likely wouldn't have issues, all I know from using it is that it is nicely built, no leaks).

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
Have you tried making your own tanks from a 20ml syringe? There is a discussion here in the general forum. I have made a bunch of them, and they work flawlessly.

Well, I either have to find a tank that will withstand my Cinnamon Niquid or quit using flavoring in my DIY Niquid. I'm gonna try using the SS Torpedo Tank w/Pyrex barrel. Torpedo Tanks , if you tend to drop your PV alot, I don't suppose this would be a good solution. JMHO

Cheers,
otrpu

DjCaptainKiddo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
I've never heard of that website. I looked and couldn't find it. They sell e liquid?

I just took a quick look online for vinyl tubing. At first glance, it seems that it's only available in 100' lengths. Where do you get yours?

f u c cancer.com is the website. Just take the spaces out, forum wont let me post the actual site name. Its pretty cool, tons of flavors and options. I got my tubing at Lowe's. 10' for $7. I think its 5/8" or 7/8". I took my end caps from my liquinator into the store and test fitted for a perfect fit. Its cheap and totally leak and shatter proof.

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
Thank you, I'll be getting some. I do know that you need 5/8" id for liquinator tanks. That will be a relief to get away from the polycarbonate.

As far as the website, I won't be able to put that up either, so I will just put vapor renu, same stuff, same company. Thanks for the clarification.

f u c cancer.com is the website. Just take the spaces out, forum wont let me post the actual site name. Its pretty cool, tons of flavors and options. I got my tubing at Lowe's. 10' for $7. I think its 5/8" or 7/8". I took my end caps from my liquinator into the store and test fitted for a perfect fit. Its cheap and totally leak and shatter proof.

Last edited:

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
UPDATE:

My aim is to compile a list of juice and flavorings that may cause potential problems as far as cracking polycarbonate tanks. Anything listed here may cause your polycarbonate tank to crack. I just ordered 3' of polycarbonate tubing. I am going to cut the tubing and use it in my tanks to try out some questionable flavors. This way, I won't be upset if I crack one, but I'll have an answer on some of these variables. I am primarily focused on the polycarbonate tanks, although this info can easily apply to other tanks.

I have heard good things about the new ce2's with thicker tubing. I have also heard that the ce2 "syringe mod" can take just about anything. YMMV. There is also a wonderful thread ongoing here on how to make your own "syringe tank mod". http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...756-homemade-syringe-tank-mod-looks-easy.html

Also, bear in mind that different vendors may use different ingredients to make the same flavors. So, a flavored e juice you get from one vendor that is safe for yout tank may not be safe from another vendor, or vice versa. For instance, I have no trouble at all with VaporGod strawberry kiwi, but Mrs. T's strawberry shortcake can potentially crack you polycarbonate tank. Clear as mud, huh?

Some of these are premixed juices, some are flavorings that DIY'ers use. Contributions have been made by myself and other members. So far we have:

Any juice that has:

Sour flavors
Malic acid
Citrus acid
Cinnamon like "atomic cinnamon" types, not warm cinnamon like cinnamon coffe cake, this is okay
Wintergreen juice or flavoring
TPA ripe banana flavoring
TPA honeysuckle flavoring
TPA maraschino cherry flavoring
TPA cherry blossom flavoring
TPA root beer flavoring
Mrs. T's strawberry shortcake, snickerdoodle
KBV Hummingbird nectar
mimosa(because of the orange)
cola(because of cinnamon)?
Vapor Renu Teaberry, cherry vanilla (possibly most of their flavors)
Vapor Renu Mt. Dew baha blast and Strawberry limeade
Oil based/e liquid that conains essential oils, when mixed with pg/vg, creates esters which will crack plastics
E liquids that contain triacetin, used in vg liquids to carry flavor more effectively
Vapalicious Gooey Butter Cake
Nutmeg
Clove oil
Mt. Dew flavoring

I just noticed that Perfumer's Apprentice lists triactetin as in ingredient in some of their flavors, so be sure to check that out.

With so many folks using tanks nowadays, let's all contribute here!!

Disclaimer: These are not "bad" juices. They just have the potential to cause cracking in tank systems using polycarbonate tubing.[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread