Let's make a list of juices/flavors that crack tanks, ce2's/clearos...

Status
Not open for further replies.

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
That looks great! Please, please, please let me know how this works out. I have around 8' of polycarbonate tubing from USPlastics, and I also have some 5/8"id clear vinyl tubing from Lowe's. I tried the vinyl tubing inside of liquinator caps, and it's just not tight enough. I mean, it's snug, but moves a bit on the caps, perhaps because the vinyl is flexible. I may get some of those grommets in the 11/16"id to try.

8585K131
Polycarbonate Round Tube 3/4" OD, 5/8" ID, Clear, 1' Length
In stock at $1.73 per Ft.
I only ordered 1 ft got 6 tubs from that lenth.I also ordered o rings and gromets.I make my own tanks.I have tanks from 3 diff venders.I don't like any of them.Sticking with home made.lol
McMaster-Carr

These are the gromets I use they fit the bog cartos like a tight glove.
9600K31
Push-in Grommet 5/16" ID, 5/8" OD, 1/16" Thk for 1/2" Dia Panel Hole
In stock at $6.25 per Pack
This product is sold in Packs of 100

I also get these o rings for around the gromets(not realy nessacery but makes a super tight fit in the tank.over kill lol)

Buna-N O-Ring AS568A Dash Number 014
In stock at $2.66 per Pack
This product is sold in Packs of 100

Shipping to me was 4.60 and received in 2 days.But their in NJ and I'm in PA.

I want to get 1 of the 20ml syringes to see if these fit them.That way I wouldnt need 2 to make 1 tank.

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
UPDATE

My aim is to compile a list of juice and flavorings that may cause potential problems as far as cracking polycarbonate tanks. Anything listed here may cause your polycarbonate tank to crack. I am primarily focused on the polycarbonate tanks, although this info can easily apply to other tanks.

I have heard good things about the new ce2's with thicker tubing. I have also heard that the ce2 "syringe mod" can take just about anything. YMMV. There is also a wonderful thread ongoing here on how to make your own "syringe tank mod". http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...756-homemade-syringe-tank-mod-looks-easy.html

Also, bear in mind that different vendors may use different ingredients to make the same flavors. So, a flavored e juice you get from one vendor that is safe for yout tank may not be safe from another vendor, or vice versa. For instance, I have no trouble at all with VaporGod strawberry kiwi, but Mrs. T's strawberry shortcake can potentially crack you polycarbonate tank. Clear as mud, huh?

Some of these are premixed juices, some are flavorings that DIY'ers use. Contributions have been made by myself and other members. So far we have:

Any juice that has:

Sour flavors
Malic acid
Citrus acid
Cinnamon like "atomic cinnamon" types, not warm cinnamon like cinnamon coffe cake, this is okay
Wintergreen juice or flavoring
TPA ripe banana flavoring
TPA honeysuckle flavoring
TPA maraschino cherry flavoring
TPA cherry blossom flavoring
TPA root beer flavoring
Mrs. T's strawberry shortcake, snickerdoodle
KBV Hummingbird nectar
mimosa(because of the orange)
cola(because of cinnamon)?
Vapor Renu Teaberry, cherry vanilla (possibly most of their flavors)
Vapor Renu Mt. Dew baha blast and Strawberry limeade
Oil based/e liquid that conains essential oils, when mixed with pg/vg, creates esters which will crack plastics
E liquids that contain triacetin, used in vg liquids to carry flavor more effectively
Vapalicious Gooey Butter Cake
Nutmeg
Clove oil
Mt. Dew flavoring
TPA Cinnamon Danish flavoring
Sassafras
Rawrvapor Hawaii Sunrise
TPA Vanilla Custard flavoring
Tasty Vapor Cherry Cola
Vixen Vapor Rootbeer
TPA Pineapple flavoring
TPA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream flavoring
Vaporgod Licorice
VAL Goddess

I just noticed that Perfumer's Apprentice lists triactetin as in ingredient in some of their flavors, so be sure to check that out.

With so many folks using tanks nowadays, let's all contribute here!!

Disclaimer: These are not "bad" juices. They just have the potential to cause cracking in tank systems using polycarbonate tubing.[/QUOTE]

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
8585K131
Polycarbonate Round Tube 3/4" OD, 5/8" ID, Clear, 1' Length
In stock at $1.73 per Ft.
I only ordered 1 ft got 6 tubs from that lenth.I also ordered o rings and gromets.I make my own tanks.I have tanks from 3 diff venders.I don't like any of them.Sticking with home made.lol
McMaster-Carr

Ok I've been using a tank with the above tubing for a little over a month and no cracks or discollor from the cinnoman.

Joanr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
Colorado Springs
I tried vinyl tubing. It seemed great at first. As I vaped, it got very slippy, slidy and came loose from the endcaps. Big mess! I haven't had a chance to play with it again yet.

My tubing is too thick for the Lava Tank but it's a cheap way to get some spares for having on hand. I need to just take the tank end in to Lowes and get the proper size. They have some real stiff tubing and then some more flexable stuff. Mine is flexable and what I need is the stiffer stuff.

phatman

Moved On
Nov 15, 2011
FL
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Moved on

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
UPDATE

My aim is to compile a list of juice and flavorings that may cause potential problems as far as cracking polycarbonate tanks. Anything listed here may cause your polycarbonate tank to crack. I am primarily focused on the polycarbonate tanks, although this info can easily apply to other tanks.

I have heard good things about the new ce2's with thicker tubing. I have also heard that the ce2 "syringe mod" can take just about anything. YMMV. There is also a wonderful thread ongoing here on how to make your own "syringe tank mod". http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...756-homemade-syringe-tank-mod-looks-easy.html

Also, bear in mind that different vendors may use different ingredients to make the same flavors. So, a flavored e juice you get from one vendor that is safe for yout tank may not be safe from another vendor, or vice versa. For instance, I have no trouble at all with VaporGod strawberry kiwi, but Mrs. T's strawberry shortcake can potentially crack you polycarbonate tank. Clear as mud, huh?

Some of these are premixed juices, some are flavorings that DIY'ers use. Contributions have been made by myself and other members. So far we have:

Any juice that has:

Sour flavors
Malic acid
Citrus acid
Cinnamon like "atomic cinnamon" types, not warm cinnamon like cinnamon coffe cake, this is okay
Wintergreen juice or flavoring
TPA root beer flavoring
Mrs. T's strawberry shortcake, snickerdoodle
KBV Hummingbird nectar
mimosa(because of the orange)
cola(because of cinnamon)?
Vapor Renu Teaberry, cherry vanilla (possibly most of their flavors)
Vapor Renu Mt. Dew baha blast and Strawberry limeade
Oil based/e liquid that conains essential oils, when mixed with pg/vg, creates esters which will crack plastics
E liquids that contain triacetin, used in vg liquids to carry flavor more effectively
Vapalicious Gooey Butter Cake
Nutmeg
Clove oil
Mt. Dew flavoring
TPA Cinnamon Danish flavoring
Sassafras
Rawrvapor Hawaii Sunrise
TPA Vanilla Custard flavoring
Tasty Vapor Cherry Cola
Vixen Vapor Rootbeer
TPA Pineapple flavoring
TPA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream flavoring
Vaporgod Licorice
VAL Goddess
VermillionRiver e juice

I just noticed that Perfumer's Apprentice lists triactetin as in ingredient in some of their flavors, so be sure to check that out.

Disclaimer: These are not "bad" juices. They just have the potential to cause cracking in tank systems using polycarbonate tubing.

I'm making my first tentative venture into using a tank and I have to say, this is a great resource. Thank you all for contributing, and if I find one that causes issues, I'll be sure to post. The tank that's waiting patiently for me in my mailbox is acrylic, according to the website. Has that had any problems?

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Does anyone know if menthol flavors or menthol drops have any effect on the polycarbonate tank? Got some tanks for friends as a gift but don't want to see them bust them after a few uses. They use Dekang juices and menthol drops from Juicy Liquid. Since the drops are diluted in PGA I'm a little concerned since I think I saw a post saying alcohol clouds polycarbonate.

Thanks

bp400

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2011
SoCal
Hoping someone has used backwoods brew cola and root beer in a polycarbonate carto tank cuz I want to try some. I love these cola flavors and I love tanks. The list above mentions tpa flavorings fogging/ cracking tanks so if anyone has had success/ failure with bwb please let me know. I had Ave root beer crack a tank, but virgin vapor root beer float at 50/50 is fine. However, the flavor is a bit weak. Also vape-a-licious cola has been fine for me but I want to try kbv cola and others too. TIA, bump

fwiw from the compiled list I have found vape-a-licious gbc to be fine at 50/50 and vermillion river kentucky premium and caramel capp to also be fine

erich

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2011
Atlanta, GA
FWIW, replacement poly tubes are relatively cheap. It seems like people are starting to post with reservations about using anything new in a tank, though, and I don't think that level of concern was the intent of this thread.

This thread is great to have, and obviously a flavor that is known to cause problems with tanks should be avoided. It's still a relatively rare case when compared to the vast number of choices out there.

Katy

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2011
Houston, TX
Okay, I just got word on another about cracked tanks with these juices, so they are added to the list:
Mrs. T's strawberry shortcake
KBV Hummingbird nectar

Some of these are premixed juices, some are flavorings that DIY'ers use. So far we have:

Any juice that has:
Sour flavors
Malic acid
Citrus acid

Any wintergreen juice or flavoring
Mrs. T's strawberry shortcake
KBV Hummingbird nectar

I use Kick Bass Hummingbird all the time in my $12 tank/cartomizer from Smoke Tech. Never had a problem ... at least not yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread