Let's talk grease for mechanical mods ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

areinike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2013
Florida

jasl90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I use good ol' fashion dielectric grease. It works beautifully. While it's not conductive itself, it does not interfere with the connection. It's real benefit is that lubricates the threads and keeps oxygen off the metal surfaces, preventing oxidization.

I started out using noalox found that would get sticky and clumpy over time and it was a pita to clean off. I've been much happier since I made the switch. Plus... It's ALOT cheaper.

Reactions: Kanger Banger

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia

tenshi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
United States

Leithan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Fort Irwin
I like the locktite brand of dielectric grease, I have the same trouble with noalox, it gets clumpy and sticky. I have also used good old vasoline, while it works, once the mod gets warm, even pocket warm, it tends to flow out of the threads, loosing it’s effectiveness. I read a couple of good articles on Galling/cold welding. I now always coat my threads with something and try to avoid anything with an aluminum to aluminum joint. A couple of the articles I read said to avoid any anti seize compounds that contain nickel with stainless steel. No reason was given, they just said to avoid it.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Heavyrocker, I've had my K100 for two months now and I've put about 2 ml a day through it. I lubed the threads and contact points when I got it with Noalox (bought from HD) and have not noticed any degradation in performance since. I will be cleaning it soon and re-applying Noalox. So I have no idea if it makes it hit harder because I did it at the beginning, but I know that it has stopped any corrosion from causing noticeable voltage/performance drop in the interim. This is working for me.

Titan2043

Jun 13, 2013
Newport Beach CA
Noalox is an antioxidant, it, by definition, inhibits the ability of a metal to oxidize (read rust etc) This is an issue on some metal mods, particularly where aluminum meets aluminum especially when there is a current passing through the metal (such as in a mod) I do not and would not use it on a SS or brass mod where the top caps and bottom caps are of the same metal. I DO use it on my aluminum mechs, such as my titan bottom cap, avenger lockriing (even though it is SS to keep it from binding) titan top cap (contact between brass and aluminum) and a few other places. On my ss mods like my Nemesis i prefer to clean and polish the threads using wd40 (sounds weird I know) to make sure that they are clean and dirt free and absolutely do not use noalox on it, same with my poldiac (no need) Its a crucial lubricant particularly for dis similar metal contact points like copper and aluminum but mostly unnecessary elsewhere. An imperceptable amount will suffice in any application but does tend to collect dirt and get gunky after some use..
Hope this helps
-titan2043

Mohd Asraf

Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Malaysia
Noalox is an antioxidant, it, by definition, inhibits the ability of a metal to oxidize (read rust etc) This is an issue on some metal mods, particularly where aluminum meets aluminum especially when there is a current passing through the metal (such as in a mod) I do not and would not use it on a SS or brass mod where the top caps and bottom caps are of the same metal. I DO use it on my aluminum mechs, such as my titan bottom cap, avenger lockriing (even though it is SS to keep it from binding) titan top cap (contact between brass and aluminum) and a few other places. On my ss mods like my Nemesis i prefer to clean and polish the threads using wd40 (sounds weird I know) to make sure that they are clean and dirt free and absolutely do not use noalox on it, same with my poldiac (no need) Its a crucial lubricant particularly for dis similar metal contact points like copper and aluminum but mostly unnecessary elsewhere. An imperceptable amount will suffice in any application but does tend to collect dirt and get gunky after some use..
Hope this helps
-titan2043

Hi Titan, im also using nemesis as my main pv. But the drop volt against 1ohm atty is 0.5v. Is this normal? I have tried so many way like noalax, cleaning with pga but the result is still the same. Just wondering how does those reviewer at youtube get less than 0.5v drop load. Any opinion?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Bmannator

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2013
Washington USA
I like the locktite brand of dielectric grease, I have the same trouble with noalox, it gets clumpy and sticky. I have also used good old vasoline, while it works, once the mod gets warm, even pocket warm, it tends to flow out of the threads, loosing it’s effectiveness. I read a couple of good articles on Galling/cold welding. I now always coat my threads with something and try to avoid anything with an aluminum to aluminum joint. A couple of the articles I read said to avoid any anti seize compounds that contain nickel with stainless steel. No reason was given, they just said to avoid it.

That seems odd. Nickel is what makes stainless steel "stainless"

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
I've been looking and thought of picking up some typical Noalox from Home Depot, but found links to other conductive greases that might fair better. Anybody have experience between the different types?

NO-OX NO-OX-ID rust preventatives & conversion coating prevent corrosion
Conductive Carbon Grease Conductive Carbon Grease 50g - Jaycar Electronics

I'm mostly interested in using it for the cheaper mech mods I have (China GGs) that seem to need a little lube.

That's just gross. I'm not spitting on any of my mechs.

TheToolMan

Verified Member
Nov 22, 2012
Marlton NJ
Im an electrical engineer with ALOT of test gear at my fingertips including micro ohm meters and micro amp meters to measure small changes in resistance and amperage draw. I have tries a number of greases with zero changes in measured performance from any of my PV's. I have 30+ mechanical mods and tested grease in a variety of them. Noalox and the like does nothing to increase performance. It will just keep your threads from squeaking. If that's all you want to do them you any lube you want. I have tried copper based anti-seize with negligible performance increases.

Now ive been using this silver grease from circuit works for a while now. This is the only grease that actually works. If you take your meter leads and dip it in a pile of the grease it reads a dead short so be really careful with the application of it. A little goes a LONG way. If you read the resistance of other greases it will read an open. No performance gains. This has a HIGH concentration of silver and is used in the industrial field for circuit breakers and the like.

http://www.chemtronics.com/products/americas/TDS/Cw7100tds.pdf

NOW because this is ECF and i dont like to post here alot because of the people that are going to try and debate my statement im not going to defend what ive said. Try and get some silver grease for an increas in performance. It really works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread