The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Lexington Vape Meet Met with Opposition from Univ. of Ky Antz Professor

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by TennDave, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. vsummer1

vsummer1 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 3, 2012
    California
    I just want to point out that Dr. Hahn does indeed have a doctorate, BUT it is not in medicine. It is in nursing. A completely different study plan, most likely but not necessarily in public health. I would be interested to know what field of nursing it is in (public health?), but I do know whatever it was took a LOT less time than a medical doctorate. So, she is NOT a medical doctor. She has mastered the art of statistics and innuendo. Pointing THAT out is very important, since she is going out there as a Dr. and talking about medical stuff people might assume she is a medical doctor and give her more credence than she deserves.

That would be like my friend who has a doctorate in geology, Dr. Andersen, going around saying she knows medical stuff cuz she is a doctor. NOT true.

And before any nurses get their panties in a twist, I am a registered nurse myself.

ETA: copy and paste: In contrast, the level of training between physicians board certified in an area of specialty and a DNP working as a primary care provider is not intended to be comparable. A physician will typically have 4 years of undergraduate education, 4 years of medical school, and 3 to 8 years in paid residency (e.g. family practice, internal medicine, radiology, neurosurgery, etc.). Physicians often continue by doing a subspecialty or fellowship (e.g. cardiology, nephrology, oncology, etc.). In contrast a typical DNP will have 4 years of undergraduate education, experience as a registered nurse, and 4 years of advanced practice education (e.g. women's health, pediatrics, anesthesia, etc.

So, medical Dr.: minimum 11 years. Nursing: 8 years.

2. martinc

martinc Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 12, 2011
    Montreal,Quebec,Canada
    Went through all princpal links and even a couple secondary...what a read!

Kudos to all involved,well done.

Now...any replies,confirmations,anything yet from all that?

3. DC2

DC2 Tootie Puffer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    That is the most awesome thing I have seen yet, and I hope it has the desired effect and outcome.
    And it reminds me that I am overdue for another CASAA donation!

(Unfortunately, the donation will have to wait awhile, as I just found out my car needs $2500 in repairs)

4. Jfresh859

Jfresh859 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sent to ms. Hahns email. :)

5. denali_41

denali_41 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Over Der
    well,,what i got from that is somebody trying impersonate a smart person
    also,may contain 500mg of nicotine,if they ban the vape meet they will also have to remove tomatoes,egg plant and a lot of other nicotine containing vegetables also

may contain 500mg nic,may also cure lung cancer

golly,don't i sound smart

6. Stubby

Stubby Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 22, 2009
    Madison, WI USA
    It's unfortunate the article falls into the trap of itself using antiscientific propaganda.

Implying that third hand smoke is a danger is completely bogus. I don't know if this came from CASAA or was from the author, but it's in bad form.

7. KevNewEngland

KevNewEngland Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Um, yea:

You seem to be missing something in all this.

8. vsummer1

vsummer1 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 3, 2012
    California
    And that was the point. She was directly rebutting Hahns own words, in her words.

9. Vocalek

Vocalek CASAA Activist ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 7, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    The University responded that they have forwarded our complaint to the ethics committee.

10. Jfresh859

In the highly unlikely even Hahn is fired, can we make it a vaping holiday?
    We can call it Ellen Hahn day haha

11. DC2

DC2 Tootie Puffer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    I'm guessing "reprimanded" while being told in no uncertain terms to shut the hell up.

My guess is that she quits, taking a lucrative position in the pharmaceutical industry.
    And our quest to defile her will continue unabated.
    :)

12. Vocalek

Vocalek CASAA Activist ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 7, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    You're a mean one! :facepalm:

13. martinc

martinc Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 12, 2011
    Montreal,Quebec,Canada
    Report Ethical Issue

To report an ethical issue, you may call 1-877-898-6072, file a report online, or contact your supervisor/chain of command, through the Office of Legal Counsel, or through member(s) of the Ethics Committee. Click here for details.

University of Kentucky | Office of Legal Counsel

14. DJJames

DJJames Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Lexington, KY
    This will be at least the 2nd report filed in the past month. I feel certain they will take a look into the issue.

15. HarmonyPB

HarmonyPB Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Haha! I like it :)

Sent from my phone using Swype...nuff said

16. NorthOfAtlanta

NorthOfAtlanta Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    I think Ms Hahn will live to regret the day she decided to write that letter on university stationary, she left herself wide open for the reply with the truth that Carl and Elaine wrote. One more place to forward it to would be Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing, FAAN, they may not appreciate her using their name in the signature.

:evil::vapor::vapor::vapor::D

17. rothenbj

rothenbj Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Was she also reported for the poster?

18. Jfresh859

I did that Thankyou :)
    I'm at uk and that crap is stupid

19. QuickSwitch

QuickSwitch Full Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Lexington, KY
    Did you get a chance to make it out to the meet? If so, I hope you were able to see one of our posters around town/campus area beforehand :)

20. Jfresh859

I did not. We need another!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.