Life Insurance???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Closet Toker

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Trempealeau, WI.
ok so, wait.

health rates are crappy because we use NICOTINE?

that seems a little...backwards. the SMOKING is what is damaging, not the nic.

i know, totally another argument...

but still, what??

i'd assume it was the effects of smoking, the cancer, the tar, etc, that damages your health. not the nic.

that just sounds stupid.

i mean, sorry, more to the point that if they're testing for nicotine in your body and calling you a "nic user" then you must pay higher rates.

i've thought on the same thing, my rates are about double for my job for "tobacco" and non. of course most just lie, i don't think anyone bothers testing that i've heard of.

me...i'm the honest one that is now paying MORE bc i smoked on the weekends. by october when renewal comes around though, i'll be checking "non smoker."

Yes but, Nicotine still causes high blood pressure / heart disease?

Momof3

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Midwest, USA
My DH chewed when we first got our policies. The agent who knew him and knew he chewed marked non-smoker as the options were smoker/non-smoker. Did the swab test and said "Well, let them figure it out." Of course it came back as smoker. At the time they didn't require a swab test for me. I wish they had because I was pregnant and hadn't smoked in months.

About 2 years later, agent said they now required the swab test on me. Of course I was smoking again and she said no worries, just a week or two and it'll be out of your system. Couple weeks of H***, swab test I was looking forward to so I could have a smoke, about 3wks later...policy changed to smoker based on swab results. :mad:

Talked to my aunt about a policy. She told me on the swab 30 days nicotine free and may or may not pass. 60 days nicotine free and pass.

ricky001

Moved On
Nov 21, 2010
new york
  • Deleted by Timtam

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
DH and I applied with AIL American income life 6 months ago. The sales guy came to our house and saw my Reo Grand. He knew exactly what it was and seemed pleased. He told me that they don't hold the ecig against you at all. But they don't concider you a non smoker till your 1 year out in your quit. He did do the mouth swab but said it was not nicotine he was looking for and my ecig would not show up on the test. I was accepted with no problems but Hubby was denied over a recent cancer scare. I think life insurance companies may have a different take on these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread