Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
And here is my attempt at wielding the unwieldy 'little' list. :D

By the way, I'm working on a spreadsheet*. I'll need some time, but I think it would be more helpful.

UPDATE:

*KD knows nothing about spreadsheets, but she is going to learn... quickly!

Last edited:

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
OM'Gawd...... what have I done! :lol:

Our list is getting unwieldy, gerrymi? Perhaps so, but with each suggestion, it doth grow. I guess that's the nature of the beast. I'm happy to be flexible and include or exclude as all of you wish. I do like your idea of focusing primarily on the sizes.

I see we are not all going to agree on this project. I'm shaking my head because I have no dog in the fight/horse in the race/brain in my head. ;)

I'm pleased to continue this, but I realize not everyone will be happy or agree.

I loved your post, alden. (I most normally do in fact, as you know.) Perhaps the best way to deal with the size issue is to have you all measure your hands and see what might be a small itty bitty to YOU. I don't know what else to do here. I do not really want to impose size limits. That's up to each of you in terms of what would be a good fit for you. This is not a simple task, by the way.

Then again, Msand and gerrymi brought up a valid point, and one worth considering. This did all start as a list that included the sort of "competitors" to the iStick. Perhaps we SHOULD only include those that at least close in dimensions. Now that I see the dimensions for the IPV4, I'm inclined to agree that it should not be on the list.

Ok, so. Please let's do this: When you recommend a mod to add to our existing list, please provide the dimensions. How much increase above and beyond the original iStick 20w we'll allow? I DON'T KNOW!! :lol: Maybe it WILL just have to be me who makes that final call...

... or the next torch holder. ;)

Perhaps I can call on you, alden, to work up the math for me in terms of the volume of the enclosures?

(Anyone got an Advil?)

(forget the Advil. I would like a nice Grey Goose and Tonic. Lemon wedge.) ;)

Mmmmmm.... Grey Goose. Can I vape it? :p Much better than canned worms...

I'm happy to help with the math. It's easy. Volume = Length x Width x Depth

As for appropriate "mini" classification, I can only offer what I've come up with for myself. Of course, everyone will have their own definition of mini.

85mm or less in length
45mm or less in width
23mm or less in depth

These dimensions would keep the devices small but not "itty bitty".

"Itty bitty" would be <80mm x <40mm x <23mm. This would exclude EVERYTHING BUT 20W & Mini iSticks (and clones), Cloupor Mini & VS DNA. Everything else would simply be TOO BIG!

How would keeping things to the above "mini" definition effect the list?

Remain:

iStick Mini (52mm*23.5mm*21mm)
iStick 20W, Bou & Smart 20 (75mm*32.8mm*21mm)
iStick 30W (77mm*32.5mm*23mm)
iStick 50W (83mm*45mm*23mm)
Cloupor Mini (77.5mm*36mm*22mm)
Beyang 30 (80mm*37mm*22mm)
Joyetech eGo ONE (58.5mm(1100mAh)/84.7mm(2200mAh)*19mm) It is a stick mod. Do we want to limit to boxes?
SMOK XPro M-Series 22W, 36W, 50W & 65W (85mm*38mm*22mm)
VS DNA 30 (74mm*36mm*21mm)

Borderline but should probably be included:

Heatvape Defender (86mm*35mm*23mm)
Joyetech eGrip (76mm*46.4mm*20.4mm) The drip tip/mouthpiece is almost an inch long!

The rest would go the way of the GIANT MVP2/20W, Hana Clones and iPV Mini. This would exclude all replaceable 18650 devices EXCEPT for the Cloupor Mini, XPro M50 & XPro M65. This would also keep the list more manageable.

To be perfectly honest, like Kat, I have no brain in my head and don't really care. I know what I like. That's all that matters to me. Let the manufacturers and vendors deal with the classification of sub-compact, compact, mid-sized, etc.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
Based on volume alone, we have clear winners & losers:

iStick Mini----------------25662mm³
ProVari P3 (18350)----36977mm³
P3 (18650)--------------50688mm³
20W iStick---------------51660mm³
VS DNA------------------52972mm³
VAMO v5-----------------53219mm³
iStick 30W---------------57558mm³ (Although misleading because only the top-cap is 23mm deep, the rest 21mm deep)
Cloupor Mini-------------61380mm³
XPro M-Series----------71060mm³
Sigelei Mini 30W--------71518mm³
VS rDNA------------------84404mm³
50W iStick---------------85905mm³
iPV Mini-------------------86480mm³
MVP20W-----------------95314mm³
Cloupor DNA 30-------108758mm³
150W iPV3--------------142485mm³

QUITE interesting way to look at "small" MODS.

You now have me considering the iTaste VV4 1000mAh:

15.1 X 15.1 X 130 = 29641mm³

EDIT: It does violate "As for appropriate "mini" classification: 85mm or less in length."

Last edited:

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Mmmmmm.... Grey Goose. Can I vape it? :p Much better than canned worms...

I'm happy to help with the math. It's easy. Volume = Length x Width x Depth

As for appropriate "mini" classification, I can only offer what I've come up with for myself. Of course, everyone will have their own definition of mini.

85mm or less in length
45mm or less in width
23mm or less in depth

These dimensions would keep the devices small but not "itty bitty".

"Itty bitty" would be <80mm x <40mm x <23mm. This would exclude EVERYTHING BUT 20W & Mini iSticks (and clones), Cloupor Mini & VS DNA. Everything else would simply be TOO BIG!

How would keeping things to the above "mini" definition effect the list?

Remain:

iStick Mini (52mm*23.5mm*21mm)
iStick 20W, Bou & Smart 20 (75mm*32.8mm*21mm)
iStick 30W (77mm*32.5mm*23mm)
iStick 50W (83mm*45mm*23mm)
Cloupor Mini (77.5mm*36mm*22mm)
Beyang 30 (80mm*37mm*22mm)
Joyetech eGo ONE (58.5mm(1100mAh)/84.7mm(2200mAh)*19mm) It is a stick mod. Do we want to limit to boxes?
SMOK XPro M-Series 22W, 36W, 50W & 65W (85mm*38mm*22mm)
VS DNA 30 (74mm*36mm*21mm)

Borderline but should probably be included:

Heatvape Defender (86mm*35mm*23mm)
Joyetech eGrip (76mm*46.4mm*20.4mm) The drip tip/mouthpiece is almost an inch long!

The rest would go the way of the GIANT MVP2/20W, Hana Clones and iPV Mini. This would exclude all replaceable 18650 devices EXCEPT for the Cloupor Mini, XPro M50 & XPro M65. This would also keep the list more manageable.

To be perfectly honest, like Kat, I have no brain in my head and don't really care. I know what I like. That's all that matters to me. Let the manufacturers and vendors deal with the classification of sub-compact, compact, mid-sized, etc.

Anyone have a problem with this?

shack22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2011
Halifax,Canada
And here is my attempt at wielding the unwieldy 'little' list. :D

By the way, I'm working on a spreadsheet*. I'll need some time, but I think it would be more helpful.

UPDATE:

*KD knows nothing about spreadsheets, but she is going to learn... quickly!

Not bad-- could use some graphics/illustrations :D

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
:lol: How far do you live?? I'm going to come over and smack ya! :D

Please forgive our neighbor from the northern territories. His brain may be a little frozen and pictures help him decipher the words. You should hear the Canuck's accent! :lol:

Besides, he's on the other side of the continent.

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
I think you should continue on with this thread. If you manage to get it all into spreadsheet mode with the dimensions, volume and weight, you could easily sort it from biggest to smallest and heaviest to lightest. That way you can have a wider range of stuff and people can still tell which ones are "itty bitty" enough for them. Or I suppose an easier version would be making 3 categories of sizes, one for the "smallest" mods, one for the "medium small" and "large small"?

clnire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Florida
I like the idea of categorizing by size and agree it is personal preference. What is great to one is meh to another (kinda like juice). Some don't want internal/built in batteries, some don't care. Some want to be able to vape while charging (note I didn't say "pass through"), some want to be able to charge outside the device. I also see the advantage of being able to replace the battery when it gets old. So many variables it is about impossible to make strict rules. To keep it as flexible as possible is going to require real work.

I thank you again for doing this Kat and for alden's great help!

BTW, the Smart 20 from Fasttech has the same dimensions as the iStick 20w. I have one and it is exactly the same.

lucky_x16

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2012
Glasford, Il
Careful, lucky. We've only just begun. :evil:

That is the scary part!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you buy one a month, you should do fine. No need to fear.

I am on the one a month plan. Have you seen pictures of my set up? LMAO, My juice bank?
The work bench I built for wrapping coils? LMAO

shack22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2011
Halifax,Canada
Please forgive our neighbor from the northern territories. His brain may be a little frozen and pictures help him decipher the words. You should hear the Canuck's accent! :lol:

Besides, he's on the other side of the continent.

Keep it up--- there's more J Beibers we can send down

silly_canadian_hockey_beaver_cartoon_post_cards-r3445f16f799541319f8ccd1121148e5f_vgbaq_8byvr_51.jpg

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
QUITE interesting way to look at "small" MODS.

You now have me considering the iTaste VV4 1000mAh:

15.1 X 15.1 X 130 = 29641mm³

But using volume alone we'd have to include almost any Spinner, Twist and the like, a few of which do have the bells and whistles... but all would fall out on a height criteria, yes?

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
But using volume alone we'd have to include almost any Spinner, Twist and the like, a few of which do have the bells and whistles... but all would fall out on a height criteria, yes?

It depends on the criteria. Sure. If we use the original iStick as our baseline or "steak in the ground", we probably don't want to stray too far from the height and width. Adding approximately 10mm to the iStick's height and width brings us to the 85mm*45mm. Good depth is probably best determined by atomizers' size with 23mm on the large side of average and good for most peoples' hands.

I'm not familiar with any spinner/twist type devices that can keep up with the new "minis" in performance and battery life. I suppose I'm simply to the point where anything taller than 85mm isn't "mini" anymore. The iStick really has been a "game-changer". In addition, all the new really good atomizers from the Nautilus Mini right up to the SubTank are not designed for the 14-16mm form-factor.

We each have our own needs and desires. It's wonderful that there are so many options to reach everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread