Status
Not open for further replies.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    If you charge your batteries via USB on the mod, it could very well be that your problem is that the USB has become damaged from constant use/movement/stress (either the external contacts or the internal on-board soldered contacts) and is causing a short.

This is a pretty common problem in mods and pods when the USB is used regularly. The mod acts completely dead except possibly if you plug into the USB. Sometimes you have to juggle it around to see some life. If your USB is the problem, unless you have the skills to fix it, the mod is effectively a really nice looking paper weight.

If you never or rarely use the USB port, then try blowing out the USB port as there may be debris in there causing the short. I know my USB ports on my 18650 mods can get rather gunky with pocket lint because I never use them except to update firmware.

Kent C

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2009
    NW Ohio US
    If you charge your batteries via USB on the mod, it could very well be that your problem is that the USB has become damaged from constant use/movement/stress (either the external contacts or the internal on-board soldered contacts) and is causing a short.

This is a pretty common problem in mods and pods when the USB is used regularly. The mod acts completely dead except possibly if you plug into the USB. Sometimes you have to juggle it around to see some life. If your USB is the problem, unless you have the skills to fix it, the mod is effectively a really nice looking paper weight.

If you never or rarely use the USB port, then try blowing out the USB port as there may be debris in there causing the short. I know my USB ports on my 18650 mods can get rather gunky with pocket lint because I never use them except to update firmware.

I never have charged external bat mods with usb. I'll check the port though.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    Bought it late May 2020. I'll give it a try. Thanks Unc...

Please keep us posted, Kent. This is disconcerting as it quickly became one of my favorite mods and is in constant use. Odd from Innokin, but all rules have exceptions.

I hope it kicks back up for you!!!

Kent C

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2009
    NW Ohio US
    Have you tried plugging it into USB? (Try without battery first)

This worked!!!! I plugged in the usb 'without battery first' and got a battery icon with an arrow - the 'battery' went from red>yellow>green. (never seen this before, but never used usb before.) I tried vaping - no go. then did the three click - got the wattage etc. like normal, but again, no vape. Removed usb Put in a charged battery, 3 clicks and all is well! :)

Btw I did do a google/reddit/ecf search to no avail, before I posted here - could have saved some time by posting here first LOL.

Thanks again, Unc. And for others -DPL- concerned.

Kent C

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2009
    NW Ohio US
    I don't understand why the fix worked, but I will make a note of it just in case.

Although I saw no 'gunk' in the usb port - see Unc's comment - "If you never or rarely use the USB port, then try blowing out the USB port as there may be debris in there causing the short." ...there may have been dust shorting out and just plugging it in on a 'hot' plug may have given enough juice to wake up something on the chip. Just guessing though :- )

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA
    Although I saw no 'gunk' in the usb port - see Unc's comment - "If you never or rarely use the USB port, then try blowing out the USB port as there may be debris in there causing the short." ...there may have been dust shorting out and just plugging it in on a 'hot' plug may have given enough juice to wake up something on the chip. Just guessing though :- )
    Yes, I saw the post and figured the explanation would be something along the lines you describe, but it's still mysterious to me. That's all right: as long as it works, I don't need to understand how.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    It was just all I could think of. Not much science, just luck.

Maybe someone else like @Innokin_timmy or @Innokin_Paul or @Innokin_lulu or @Innokin_Joseph can tell us why this seems to have revived your dead mod and even what happened in the first place to cause the mod to go dead.

Because I haven't the foggiest clue :D ...and quite frankly I'm surprised it worked myself. :lol:

But I do suspect maybe by inserting the USB plug into the port you moved some piece of debris that was causing a short.

Kent C

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2009
    NW Ohio US
    It was just all I could think of. Not much science, just luck.

Maybe someone else like @Innokin_timmy or @Innokin_Paul or @Innokin_lulu or @Innokin_Joseph can tell us why this seems to have revived your dead mod and even what happened in the first place to cause the mod to go dead.

Because I haven't the foggiest clue :D ...and quite frankly I'm surprised it worked myself. :lol:

But I do suspect maybe by inserting the USB plug into the port you moved some piece of debris that was causing a short.

It was surely dead - tried 3 full bats. did all button sequences including 'hold' :)

If no tricks here, I was considering Phil next. Might be interesting if he ever heard of the problem...

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    It was surely dead - tried 3 full bats. did all button sequences including 'hold' :)

If no tricks here, I was considering Phil next. Might be interesting if he ever heard of the problem...

I'm sure you have an authentic unit because innokin is a very tightly controlled brand. But you can check to see in your mod has an internal serial #. Been this way since at least the Itaste VV4.

With battery in and mod off, press and hold the down and power buttons for about 3-5 seconds. Internal serial # will show on screen like THKTP982007FQ89P5

I doubt a clone would have an internal serial # since they need to use inferior chips with little ROM in order to make cloning worth while.

Kent C

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2009
    NW Ohio US
    I'm sure you have an authentic unit because innokin is a very tightly controlled brand. But you can check to see in your mod has an internal serial #. Been this way since at least the Itaste VV4.

With battery in and mod off, press and hold the down and power buttons for about 3-5 seconds. Internal serial # will show on screen like THKTP982007FQ89P5

I doubt a clone would have an internal serial # since they need to use inferior chips with little ROM in order to make cloning worth while.

Yep - THK.......

Uncle

Resting In Peace
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 15, 2011
    Thanks again, Unc

:eek: :confused: Ah - You do mean "Uncle Junkle" - Right ? :confused: :eek:

Especially since I would never ever have figured that solution/fix out . . . Giving credit where credit is due is always important . . . Just Sayin' . . . .:rolleyes:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    This worked!!!! I plugged in the usb 'without battery first' and got a battery icon with an arrow - the 'battery' went from red>yellow>green. (never seen this before, but never used usb before.) I tried vaping - no go. then did the three click - got the wattage etc. like normal, but again, no vape. Removed usb Put in a charged battery, 3 clicks and all is well! :)

Btw I did do a google/reddit/ecf search to no avail, before I posted here - could have saved some time by posting here first LOL.

Thanks again, Unc. And for others -DPL- concerned.

EXCELLENT news, Kent. THANK YOU!!!

Especially since I would never ever have figured that solution/fix out . . . Giving credit where credit is due is always important . . . Just Sayin' . . . .:rolleyes:

Yeppers (as she might say). There is more than one Kat, and more than one Uncle. Some things just are.

;):D

I admit to having done a double-take too.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    The KSL BOX S came in

20201201_142350.jpg

Kent C

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2009
    NW Ohio US

Yep Unc. Junk. Although, for me, you're the 'original' :- ) We 'saw' each other more on certain threads thru out the years.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread