Little to no vapor from my cartomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamruck

Dec 12, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Ok guys, I've got an issue and I THINK I might know the cause, hopefully someone can correct me here. I'm using a 1.6 Ohm Dual Coil mega cartomizer. Link below, when i first used it, the vapor production was lack luster, but it would do for my go to juice (top Vapor green apple) I simply decided not to buy another one, took it off my PV and laid it on my desk for a day or two. I got a craving for my green apple, when i tried vapeing it i got almost NO vapor, very very very little. No burnt carto taste so I didn't think it was bone dry, but I added a few drops of juice, and its quite wet now, and still little to no vapor from this carto. I have a working theory I'm going on, cartomizers are built with coils in parallel to give you lower resistance, and this one is 3.2 ohm coils in parallel i think, so im thinking maybe one of my coils took a crap? Would that then revert the carto back to a 3.2 ohm single coil and could that be the cause of my impotent cartomizer?

eGo Mega Dual Coil Cartomizer <-- the carto in question.

Shamruck

Forgot to mention this in the original post. I've used this carto for a total of an hour? Poped my juice in, tried the vape for a few minutes, put it down, now I'm trying it again, with maybe 2 cigarettes worth in between. So i cant have possibly exhausted the carto yet.

Last edited:

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Neither real wet nor too dry will get the best vapor out of a cartomizer. A too wet carto will be like a flooded atomizer, unable to heat enough to make good vapor and a too dry carto will singe.

You could try laying it on all different sides to distribute the juice batter and on the ends too. And if you thick it is overfilled you try it on a freshly charged battery which should have a but more oomph. Or you can touch a soft bit of tissue to the top of the stuffing as you tilt the carto open and down and puff into the threaded end - that will pull a bit of juice out.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Unscrew it off the battery and gently blow through it into a paper towel. Screw back on and try it again. If the airhole has juice in it, it won't produce much vapor. Also, it may not be making good contact with the battery. The center post of the carto should stick out just a tad past the threads. Take a precision screwdriver, insert into the hole just a little, and gently lift up to move it some. Don't go crazy doing this or you'll pull the post out rendering the carto useless. Try it again. If you are getting a cool vapor, I would say it's popped a coil but if the vapor is rather warm, it's still functioning. If you have a meter, you can check the ohm rating also. DCC's perform the best at 4.5V and higher. They also need a little breaking in. However, they will work on an eGo but not like intended...not horrible...just not what they are capable of.

BraveStar

Dec 29, 2011
Nuremberg, Germany
Hi,

i think your problem is something else ... it is the Liquid ... not every Liquid produces the same amount of vapor on Dual coil cartomizer low resistance (1,5 - 1,6 Ohm)

e.g.
a good and big vapor production is n 3,9 v to 4,0 V mod with e-Liquid mixed 55% PG, 35% VG, 10% water (FLAVOURART

But on Dekang or Hangsen E-Liquids with 80% PG, 20% VG ratio it is only good on CE2 Cleromizer and 5v mod ...

... but in LR Carto's it is not good - not very much flavour and less vapor ...

That is this my experience -->

the "right" e-Liquid with the "right" PG/VG ratio on the "right" Cartomizer, Clearomizer or Atomizer

... just keep on trying

Good luck, BraveStar

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I've heard their juices are 90% PG 10% VG.
PG= TH, Lung Hit and flavor enhancer
VG= vapor
Nicotine= TH, Lung Hit and our need for nicotine
Most pre made juices are 70/ 30 PG/ VG or 80/ 20 PG/ VG. You may want to pick up some VG at the pharmacy in the band aids/ first aid section and add some to your juice, shake and try that out to produce more vapor. Unless you clean the carto our it may take awhile for the vapor to appear.
Good Luck, Vapoor.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
You didn't say what battery you were driving that carto from. If it's an eGo class battery, you should be getting good taste and vapor. If it's a 510 or KR808 type, not so much. It's not so much the voltage of the battery, but its ability to supply enough current to heat the coil sufficiently.

In a dual coil carto, the coils are in parallel. That means the voltage is the same in both circuits, but the current flow splits between the two. Think of this in terms of two water hoses connected to one hydrant. There is a specified amount of water flow that the hydrant (battery) can provide. Each hose will get half the flow (current). If one hose is pinched off, the total flows through the remaining hose. If a coil in a dual coil burns out, the other coil gets all the battery current and becomes a single 3.2ohm atty. Since voltage remains the same in each branch of a parallel circuit, then current is split between the two branches, since the resistance halves.

I hope that makes some sense. What happens when one coil burns out, is that the atty is no longer a 1.2 ohm atty ... it's now a 3.2 ohm atty that will work better at a higher voltage. I wonder what battery you have. More info might be revealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread