Status
Not open for further replies.

john333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Indiana
If you want to be careful, vape lightly flavored eliquids. If your flavors clog a coil in 3 days or so, stop vaping those types. I DIY and make unflavored liquid that I vape from time to time. PG and VG do not clog a coil and the atomizer or cartomizer will last several months. The more minimal the effect on the coil may equate to a minimal effect on you. Good luck.

Reactions: MissMcVayp

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

What I'm interested in are the long term negative effects if any.

Statistically speaking, it is Difficult to make an Assessment as to the Long Term Effects of e-Cigarette use.

As mentioned, people haven't been using e-Cigarettes in mass for very long. But perhaps a Great Issue is it is going to be hard to find a Population which has Only Used an e-Cigarette and who have Never Smoked.

If I am Diagnosed with Lung Cancer tomorrow, was it caused by the 3 Years of Vaping or from the 25 Years of Smoking I did?

I remember when I was about a Year Switch to e-Cigarettes. I went into my MD for a General Check-Up. She said that she was Very Impressed with my Overall Health and was Happy, but reserved, that I had Quit Analogs using an e-Cigarette. She asked me why after so Many Talks about Quiting that I had decided to Quit? I told her I didn't want to get Cancer. She looked me straight in the eye and said it Probably wouldn't Matter. I was Shocked.

She Backed up and Explained that All Though quitting Smoking would/was having a Profound Benefit to me Overall Heath, that a Person who had Smoked as Long as I had doesn't really Deduce their Risk of Developing many types of Cancers by Quitting. It is like the Damage is Done after a certain Length of Time odds-wise.

The other thing that makes things Problematic is that there is No Standard for what is in an e-Liquid. Or how the Vapor is Produced.

If 2,000 Vapers who have Never Smoked were studied, and 5 developed a certain Illness, what Exactly Caused it? Was it a Common Colorant in an e-Liquid that the 5 Used. Perhaps it was that they Used Cartos Mainly vs RBS's with Cotton Wicks? Or Maybe they were Vapers who used Heavily Sweetened e-Liquids of a certain Artificial Sweetener?

With Cigarette Smokers, there are Basically Two Types. Menthol and Non-Menthol Smokers. But with Vapers, there is Every Possible Combination and Permutation of Chemicals and Vaping Techniques. A Baseline for Analysis is going to be Dfficult to Establish when it Comes to e-Cigarette and e-Liquid use.

So the Long Term Effects of e-Cigarette use are going to be Hard to Derive until there is a Substantial Population of Long Term e-Cigarette Users who have Never Smoked. And who have Used a More Standardized e-Liquid and Delivery System.

glasseye

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2012
NJ
Floating around the interwebs is a video of a man (former smoker) that had chest x-rays taken a year or two apart. One of them shortly before he started vaping or shortly after. The difference was huge a year or two later.

The way I see it is, if our bodies can metabolize and get rid of years and years of tar and crap from inhaling burning plant matter and chemicals into our lungs after a relatively short time, I pretty much have no doubts at all that the very few ingredients in e-liquids are light years safer. Particularly if I make it myself and know exactly what goes into it.

I have almost zero faith in the FDA and little faith in long term studies, many of which (no matter the area) are found to be flawed or skewed. Just show me that guy and his x-rays, tell me about you (collectively), and I know what vaping has done for me, and well...that's where my opinions are formed. I don't need a study or a government body telling me how to think.

llamainmypocket

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
United States
The FDA would have loved to say something bad. but they couldn't, because it would be logically fallacious. If nicotine isn't harmful, and PG isn't harmful, and VG isn't harmful, then the combination of the three aren't harmful either... It would be like suggesting that mixing mayonnaise and mustard is harmful. How? By magic?

What the FDA did, was imply irrational fear by way of ambiguity as a basis to ban them. Fortunately, the courts struck them down.

I will grant that there is a degree of ambiguity with some of the flavors. But those flavors are not known to be harmful due to lack of research.

Nightshard

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2013
Israel
The FDA would have loved to say something bad. but they couldn't, because it would be logically fallacious. If nicotine isn't harmful, and PG isn't harmful, and VG isn't harmful, then the combination of the three aren't harmful either... It would be like suggesting that mixing mayonnaise and mustard is harmful. How? By magic?

What the FDA did, was imply irrational fear by way of ambiguity as a basis to ban them. Fortunately, the courts struck them down.

I will grant that there is a degree of ambiguity with some of the flavors. But those flavors are not known to be harmful due to lack of research.

The FDA are just taking their time, they are not in any hurry to finish their studies.
While in the process of things they rather say it might be unsafe before making sure its safe (its like saying you're guilty until proven innocent).

Nicotine isn't harmful? it's very poisonous and harmful.
The effects of PG and VG long term exposure in vapor form is unproven.

By the way, taking several relatively safe elements and mixing them together does necessarily make a safe compound, try nitrate coal and sulfur:)

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
The FDA are just taking their time, they are not in any hurry to finish their studies.
While in the process of things they rather say it might be unsafe before making sure its safe (its like saying you're guilty until proven innocent).

By the way, taking several relatively safe elements and mixing them together does necessarily make a safe compound, try nitrate coal and sulfur:)

Anything including water is harmful if misused or over used.

As to the long term effects of PG, yes they have been proven. PG is the carrier base for the meds used in breathing treatments, which have been being used for many many years. Not to mention stage hands and performers who are exposed on a regular basis to fog machines.

Joeyjoe

Moved On
Aug 19, 2013
Canada
Vaping 4 years now. No more coughing up tar balls. I can smell cig smoke a mile away. I knew something good was happening early on in my vaping when i walked past someone and finally smelled that unique smell of cigarette smoke on someones clothes. It was gross, and I realized..hey that's how I've been smelling to others for 20 years!!

If vaping were truly dangerous it would be plastered all over the media and used as talking points by the Anti's and FDA..the best they seem to be able to come up with is exploding batteries and fruity flavors.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
I started last year, and after a month or two in I started disco dancing at random inappropriate times. For example at the dmv, the doctor's office, a bris, even at a fertility clinic I started to do the hustle for no apparent rhyme or reason. It's a good trade off, I can breathe better and I taste things now. I'm no longer easily winded as I used to be.

If anyone has any good suggestions on how to curb "the dances" as my wife and I refer to them I really am all ears. It's freaking ridiculous, I was born in 78. I wasn't really around long enough to get partake in the disco craze. Well it's better than a mosh pit type dance routine that's for sure.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I started last year, and after a month or two in I started disco dancing at random inappropriate times. For example at the dmv, the doctor's office, a bris, even at a fertility clinic I started to do the hustle for no apparent rhyme or reason. It's a good trade off, I can breathe better and I taste things now. I'm no longer easily winded as I used to be.

I'm glad that you Posted this Eric. Because I Suffer from a Similar Affliction. Only for me, it is a Sudden Onset of Revival Music Call and Response.

It's good to hear that I am Not the Only person who is Experiencing some Side Effects of Vaping. All this time I thought it was the Long Term Results of taking 3 Hits of L and then going to see the Blues Brothers.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
well, It's official. another long term effect of vaping is now proven on my own body.
I'm well over 45, and my muscles have stopped stiffing up when I sit or lay too long. My joints are popping less and less after 8 long months of vaping.
these symptoms started happening a week ago, but I actually noticed a couple of days ago.
I blame vaping because that is the only thing in my life has changed since November.

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
I have been vaping for just under 4 1/2 years and feel great lung/breathing wise. No coughing or shortness of breath. I was starting to experience those symptoms before I made the switch to vaping. I smoked for 25 years before starting to vape. I am a pretty heavy vapor as well. Besides my first 6mo of vaping I have been at 18mg juice if that matters any. Time will tell for all of use but if we stayed on cigs we know what our future held. With vaping, our future has hope.

Almost the same story here. Vaping since January of 2009, and my health has been improving since then. Back in 2008, I was diagnosed with asthma. Not too severe, to the point that I was 'allowed' by my doctor to smoke no more than four cigarettes a day; otherwise, the asthma could develop and become worse. I never smoked less than ten...
I used to make a preventive treatment for asthma, only during the winter. After making the switch, I stopped using those medicines, because I felt better and better, and realised I did not need them. Eventually, they expired, so I showed them the way to the trash bin.

I was never been troubled by asthma again. Allergic rhinitis, that I also have? Sometimes, but way less than back when I smoked.

So, back to the OP:

I do not know the long term effects of vaping. So far, nothing has happened on the negative side. Considering that we use GRAS substances in our juice, I believe, or hope, that nothing negative will ever occur.

Anyway, I tend to look at it this way:

1) I know the long-terms effects of tobacco. Since I was unable to quit before the e-cig, the choice is obvious.
2) Has there been any long-term studies on the preservatives/coloring in the food we eat everyday? I doubt it... we are the guinea pigs right now.
3) How many medicines, subject to so much strict regulations/testing, have been taken form the shelves after 10, 15, 20 years of constant sales? Because only then, someone discovers that 'after all', not everything has been tested, and 'that medicine is linked to those health problems'...

With everything we do in life, there is some degree of risk associated. All we have to do, is learn to pick our choices. I would not dream to stop using my car. I would also not dream to drive without my seat belt on. Even knowing that I could still die, despite having that belt on.

llamainmypocket

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
United States

PG is used in vapor form in hospital ventilation systems to disinfect air. VG has been used in industrial fog machines. Both have been used in vapor form long term and therefore proven safe.

Nicotine isn't harmful unless you're using excessive amounts. E cigarettes don't use excessive amounts so nicotine from e cigarettes isn't harmful.

I don't know where you got your conclusions from but their entirely wrong. VG and PG are totally safe in vapor form and nicotine isn't harmful.

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
One thing we can probably safely say is that vaping isn't acutely toxic. That's huge. Science has shown that the ingredients in vaping don't quickly kill living cells. There are no fine particulates because there is no combustion. That's huge too. Fine particulates like to hide deep down in the smallest spaces and cause all kinds of respiratory problems among other things. The molecules in vapor are large (part of the reason why nic delivery is slow and inefficient). This is important too. Keeps it out of the air (vapor drops to the floor really quickly) and also makes it very inefficient for your body to absorb through osmosis and other processes.

PG & VG are easily handled by your body. It goes in and goes out. There is no toxic buildup. Another important point when speculating on long term use.

Nicotine is the least of our worries. It's been long proven that responsible and modest use is no worse than caffeine. You can get the facts there in like 2 seconds of research.

Flavorings are a wildcard of sorts. Probably my only concern. Safe for ingestion and safe for inhalation are 2 very different things. Long term exposure is likely the only way to determine the safety or lack thereof.

What we are all wondering (obviously) is if long term use is poisonous, toxic, or has the ability to modify cell reproduction and if there is some kind of affect on our organs or cardiopulmonary system. If the answer was obvious we would have know years ago. I take quite a bit of comfort knowing that nothing can be found as of yet. It's not like nothing has been researched and we're diving into the shallow end head first. Quite the opposite actually.

If you can't live with the risk/reward equation or dealing with unknowns then don't vape. The hard and fast answer to the question won't be known for years.

Texace146

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX
Statistically speaking, it is Difficult to make an Assessment as to the Long Term Effects of e-Cigarette use.

As mentioned, people haven't been using e-Cigarettes in mass for very long. But perhaps a Great Issue is it is going to be hard to find a Population which has Only Used an e-Cigarette and who have Never Smoked.

If I am Diagnosed with Lung Cancer tomorrow, was it caused by the 3 Years of Vaping or from the 25 Years of Smoking I did?

I might be the closest thing to that. You see, I started smoking in 2004 when I was 19, and switched to e-cigs in 2010, so I smoked for 6 years and have been vaping for almost 3 years this December. I was a carton per week smoker and went outside to smoke every time, and am now a very heavy vaper, never going outside to vape and vaping just about anywhere. I'm 28 now, and don't intend to quit vaping anytime soon. It's enjoyable to me. I like it. Keeps me sane. So, reading a lot of people's stories about how they've been smoking for 20-30+ years with positive effects from switching to vaping makes me wonder how I'll be in the long term too. Even though I only smoked for 6 years, I was surely addicted, and I experienced the same clean up effects on my health as others.

Another interesting thing to note is, I haven't gotten almost a single respiratory illness at all since I switched to vaping. Has anyone else experienced this?! I used to get sinus infections, common colds and allergies ALL the damn time. Not anymore! Now, just this past June, I had gotten the beginning symptoms of a bronchitis infection, but it fizzled out after 48 hours. That crap used to keep me down for 3 weeks at LEAST. But other than that, NOTHING. You know, sometimes, I'd accidentally drop some e-liquid on my desk, and when I go to wipe it up, it CLEANS the desk! Could it perhaps be killing bacteria and keeping my lungs clean? I'd definitely love to participate in an e-cig study, but only with the e-liquid and setup that I use, and no, I don't DIY my own liquids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread