Long time cig smoker and pipe smoker - switching to vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddioFL

Oct 4, 2016
Florida
Well after spending the last few hours trying to call 3 different locals and getting no answer I ended up going to cape authority.

Emailed them to confirm they be able to guarantee a friday delivery. Not only did they confirm that, they also sent me the first time customer promo code for 10% of the total order so that helped cut shipping in half. Their free shipping would have gotten to me by Saturday at the latest they thought but as I needed the guarantee i chucked over the extra bucks.

Here's what we are staying with:

1x Honey Flue Cured Tobacco (HFC) - Mister e-liquid - Large - 30 ml / Medium/High - 18 mg for $14.50 each

1x Hula Girl - Islander E-juice - Large - 30 ml / Medium - 12 mg for $14.99 each

1x Derailed - Suicide Bunny e-liquid - 30 ml / High - 18mg for $22.00 each

4x Samsung™ 25R 18650 INR 2500mAh 20A Flat Top Battery - 25R for $8.99 each

1x Genuine Aspire™ Triton 316L Replacement Coils / Atomizer Heads (5 pack) - 0.4 ohm for $17.99 each

1x Genuine Aspire™ Odyssey Starter Kit (Triton 2 and Pegasus Box Mod) - Brushed Slate for $69.95 each

1x Genuine Aspire™ Odyssey Starter Kit (Triton 2 and Pegasus Box Mod) - Brushed Chrome for $69.95 each

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
Best advice I can give is start simple and try to learn every basic part of vaping, then step up to advance ways of vape. Some folks inadvertently sell the novice advanced equipment which multiplies vaping complexities. The poor learner is flooded with too many variables and never gets the basics down pat. It helps to know what you want (which direction you want to head towards) before you leap.
Could try a local vape store and talk to those folks if time is pressing.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Reportedly there tends to be more success with these more modern, higher output devices (although you're not looking at the biggest). I agree but one advantage of starting smaller is giving that a chance. Now there are people that look down on smaller devices such as pen style units without really having any serious experience with them or knowing what they can do. They are partially correct and yet I can get some amazing flavors from certain ejuices at ~5 watts that you can't get from much anything else from a device I can forget about in my pocket and not lose sleep if I lose it. Or throw in the vape bag for backup at the size of a 30 mL bottle of juice.

DaddioFL

Oct 4, 2016
    Florida
    We tried the little pen things about a year or two ago and thought they were utter crap, i forget what she got us.. I think it was called a 777.. I don't recall fully. It was a blue pen looking thing though and just was super weak and we thought it was a complete waste of money. We went back to the analogs and pipe after that.

The odyssey kits will be here tomorrow midday though and I'm sure we'll break them in tomorrow evening after dinner. I'll post back with input afterwards.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I was intentionally sending a sort of mixed message, just saying those that start mid-power and only go up, up from there might be surprised. I didn't want to get into specific hardware but yeah some of it sucks bad. I think vape shops still sell $15 CE-4 based blister pack kits is to "prove" better is needed (the sort of tapering clear tank, thicker than a cigalike ones we've all seen). OTOH a $2 EVOD tank rewicked with cotton at about 3.5 volts loaded with Goodejuice Patriot, or a mini Protank 2 with Uncle Junk's Key Stone is as delicious as anything in the whole vape world, despite airflow like a milkshake through a straw. Just as a little background. How you use this info is up to you, you can just take my word for it but the stuff isn't expensive and might beat buying a pack of smokes. Also look at some of the new "AIO" devices for other backups small enough to actually take with you. P.S. I do agree the Odyssey is also a good thing to be trying.

Last edited:

NealBJr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    We tried the little pen things about a year or two ago and thought they were utter crap, i forget what she got us.. I think it was called a 777.. I don't recall fully. It was a blue pen looking thing though and just was super weak and we thought it was a complete waste of money. We went back to the analogs and pipe after that.

The odyssey kits will be here tomorrow midday though and I'm sure we'll break them in tomorrow evening after dinner. I'll post back with input afterwards.

Welcome to the forums. I missed your first go around... I don't seem to be as active as I used to be, but I still visit this place daily, just not have time to do a lot of reading.

I smoked for 20 years, and and like you, I would go away from the kids to smoke. That usually meant outside the house.. no matter what the weather was like. I do vape indoors.. but even still, I am mindfull of my son. Luckily, we have one son grown and in the Marines smoke free... the other is in thrid grade. (I know... big gap)

I do recommend a starter kit, but one thing it seems nobody has mentioned, is there are such things as E-pipes. I happen to own and love a Guardian III Epipe, which is pretty much a single 18650 battery 75w mod in a pipe shape. It is recommended for more advanced vapers. A good beginners Epipe might be the previous version, the Guardian II which was paired well with an Aspire Nautilus tank. Most Epipes are unregulated mechanicals using 18350's, which is a much smaller battery and suited for advanced users... I really wouldn't recommend them. Smok came out with a line of regulated pipes, which is the Guardian series and with a more traditional look. There are some people who fassion pipe stems to fit a standard ecig, so if you like that idea, you might want to give it a look at. here's some links and pics to some Epipes.

My own setup: I have the Guardian III with a Griffin tank... Since this pic was taken, I replaced the black glass on the atomizer... here's my setup I got from Fasttech... even though it did take a month to get here, they do have good prices.

NcvIncR.jpg

They have a Guardian Subkit. This one has me baffled, since it says it offers Temperature control, and Kanthal, but it has no display to check to see if everything's ok, or do any setting changes on it. I also don't like the idea of pushing down on the pipe bowl... it's like putting your thumb on the fire.... it also has a built in battery, so when it runs out, you have to wait for it to charge. Here's a pic on it with a stem.
    maxresdefault.jpg

Here's the Smok Guardian II (no link).. it's only a 15W version, but it's better suited for new vapers. Pictured here is with a Nautilus tank with the fancy design on it. The Guardian II is a bit weird to use and get used to, but once you get it working fine, it is a solid epipe. Since it is an older design, you'll have a harder time finding this one.
    xguardian2_hand.jpg.pagespeed.ic.oh8Cs2UXHB.jpg

The place that was near me was called Epipemods.com They no longer own the brick and mortar shop, but I believe he is still doing business... probably out of his home by my guess. His website is still up, and he still keeps track of inventory, so I believe he may do it as a second job.. I've seen his pipes first hand, and they were nice, but I didn't like the overall design of pushing down on the bowl like all other pipes, and the fact that this one has no electronics in it (AKA "mechanical mod") means it's for advanced users, and most of his pipes take an 18350, or are extremely weird looking for the 18650.

There are other Epipes out there, but since you're new to the market, I'd ask questions galore before buying them. There are pro's and cons to most of them.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Sometimes its hard to correctly identify a battery from a pic. Resellers often add the white or silver identifying sticker, not the manufacturer usually. I'm assuming all the batteries sent have green wrappers (?).

Genuine Samsung batteries will have identifying printing on the wrapper with the model number, like below:

image-jpg.497861

Samsung 25R Green 20A (25R5) 2500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a great 20A battery

Samsung does make a 3000mAh battery, but its wrapper is always pink: Samsung 30Q 20A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Retest Results...a great 20A/3000mAh battery!
    image-jpg.526812

Assuming the identifying sticker on the 3000mAh battery is true, its possibly a Sony VTC6, a battery that Mooch bench tested as a 19 amp continuous battery: Sony VTC6 15A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a great battery, equaling HG2/30Q

image-jpeg.579333

image-jpeg.579335

If you don't see the above markings on your batteries, then all bets are off as to their authenticity and quality. They may well be re-wrapps and of unknown quality.

Are You Using a Rewrap (Rebranded) Battery?

• Learn what a rewrap cell is. If you are using rebranded cell, does that mean it is inferior, poor quality, or even dangerous? Which batteries are suspected to be rebranded batteries.
    image-jpeg.600623

Last edited:

DaddioFL

Oct 4, 2016
    Florida
    Once again thanks for the insanely helpful links, pics, and context.

I took the silver piece off and it looks exactly like your first picture listed. I'd emailed the company as well and they got back to me a short bit ago suggesting the same as you, take the silver off to verify.

Looks like things are legit, although they did put the blame on Samsung for the incorrect silver sticker ;p

I’m so sorry for the confusion, but those should be the correct batteries. If they have a silver sticker on them, peel that off to confirm that they are either the correct or incorrect batteries. Samsung sometimes puts the incorrect stickers on the correct batteries.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread