Looking for a good Genesis clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
Just as described, later this week I'm going to buy a good genesis style clone and would like to hear your suggestions. I have been looking at the Smoktech vivi tank, and some did clones all stainless steel (like the idea of no plastic involved). Not looking to spend much and would love to see what you guys have had good experience's with.

:vapor:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Don't know about the 'T' but the standard AGA has a short positive post and hence makes for a very stubby wick. Not enough room there if you wish to try the thicker 28ga wire with 6-7 wraps which appears to be the rage these days.

And the very thin nuts are a pain to work with.

This Cobra clone looks better.

524334950_911.jpg

Looks like a lot of room on the original DID clone also.

DSCF1292.jpg

Compare those pics to my AGA.

AGA_O_-_1.png

Last edited:

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Don't know about the 'T' but the standard AGA has a short positive post and hence makes for a very stubby wick. Not enough room there if you wish to try the thicker 28ga wire with 6-7 wraps which appears to be the rage these days.

And the very thin nuts are a pain to work with.

This Cobra clone looks better.

524334950_911.jpg

Looks like a lot of room on the original DID clone also.

DSCF1292.jpg

Compare those pics to my AGA.

AGA_O_-_1.png

funny you should mention it- I've got most of the clones so far, and I have one of the full-size DID clones on the way (the "Cobra" clone). Out of all of them, it is the one I'm the most excited to get, after seeing the DUD and the Tiamat- It seems like it might be the best of both of them...the size of the Tiamat along with the sturdiness and simplicity of the DUD.

If you're looking for the easiest and simplest of the new clones, I can recommend the DUD. It even comes as a kit so that you won't need to purchase wick and wire elsewhere. The Tiamat has its advantages as well, but also has some weak points, such as the center post, and the fact that it can be harder to get the build done right than on the DUD because of the placement of the contact screws. I was looking to get the Vivi tank, but it has a bit too much plastic for my taste...

Oh, and the post looks to be a bit longer on the Tiamat vs. the original AGA, but I cannot say for sure. It certainly didn't feel cramped during the build.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

CountSmackula

Genisis Junkie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
BFE, KY
The Chid, the AGA, the AGA-t, and the Chobra are all good choices.

The chid is chrome plated (somthing), the AGA/AGA-T are stainless, and the Chobra is stainless.

The Chid is the easiest to set up (IMO), followed closely by the Chobra. The AGA & -T have the same issues - getting the coil 'tails' short enough (but I'm developing a work-around).

I like the AGA for my 'tank cracker' citrus juices.

HTH!

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
UGH. I've asked this question probably 4 times in 4 different threads now.

1.) Does ANYONE HERE know of a place that explains how each of these work? Like, which ones have the vertical wick into the tube, which ones cant use mesh and which ones can, which ones have a tank and which ones only hold 10 drops or so?
2.) Which websites sell the majority of these WITH spare kanthal and spare mesh? I mean I have a whole browser full of tabs of different websites but it seems like the ones that sell the atomizers I like DONT sell extra wire + wick and its like COME ON? Do I have to order from 2-3 different places to get everything I need to use these for a while without reordering? Jeesh.

Does anyone know how the Bully and the Pheonix differ? Ugh. I just want to figure this all out. I'd like to order tonight but I just can't figure everything out fast enough to know what to get and where to order from. Tough.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
UGH. I've asked this question probably 4 times in 4 different threads now.

1.) Does ANYONE HERE know of a place that explains how each of these work? Like, which ones have the vertical wick into the tube, which ones cant use mesh and which ones can, which ones have a tank and which ones only hold 10 drops or so?
2.) Which websites sell the majority of these WITH spare kanthal and spare mesh? I mean I have a whole browser full of tabs of different websites but it seems like the ones that sell the atomizers I like DONT sell extra wire + wick and its like COME ON? Do I have to order from 2-3 different places to get everything I need to use these for a while without reordering? Jeesh.

Does anyone know how the Bully and the Pheonix differ? Ugh. I just want to figure this all out. I'd like to order tonight but I just can't figure everything out fast enough to know what to get and where to order from. Tough.

All of the info you are looking for is in this subforum. Some of it is even in this thread...

Can you see those pictures in the above post? They're all tank systems that can use SS. The ones with clear tanks are even more obvious, like the Tiamat and some of the DUDs.

Show me a rebuildable-with a tank or not- and I'll put an SS wick in it. I have yet to find a RBA that won't take SS.

The phoenix clones, fatty clones, A-7, Rainbow V3, Eternity, etc are all dripping atomizers.

Many of the websites DO sell wire and wick. DV does, I know that for sure. But you'll do better doing an ebay search and picking up your supplies in bulk- its much cheaper and sometimes higher quality.

Please don't take offense, but if you're finding it this frustrating to read a few posts, look at some pictures and find the info you need when it's right in front of you- sometimes even on the websites that sell the things- then I wouldn't necessarily recommend SS rebuildables to you in the first place. It takes a ton of trial and error for MOST people to get it right, and it requires lots of patience and the ability to read and understand directions (or watch and understand, in the case of youtube tutorials). And in turn it gets frustrating for those of us here to help when the same questions get asked over and over again-sometimes not in the nicest way- when the info is at your fingertips already.

Edited here for PC'ness...but please- if you want advice, don't get upset with us because no one answers you when you're getting all frustrated at us because we're not fast enough, or not specific enough. We're here to help, not to get screamed at in text ;)

Last edited:

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
If you are looking to start with an inexpensive genny. I would suggest you read a very well written and thoughtful review on the AGA Tiamat that has comparisons to the dud by j4mmin42 at his site.

I have no affiliation with him or his site, I was just impressed by his content, style and approach, which was very profession. And since he did not steer you there, I will. :)

It may not cover "all" the clones, but it certainly provides insight into things you should be looking for when making your selection.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
If you are looking to start with an inexpensive genny. I would suggest you read a very well written and thoughtful review on the AGA Tiamat that has comparisons to the dud by j4mmin42 at his site.

I have no affiliation with him or his site, I was just impressed by his content, style and approach, which was very profession. And since he did not steer you there, I will. :)

It may not cover "all" the clones, but it certainly provides insight into things you should be looking for when making your selection.

Well thanks, I'm glad to hear that :)

Guess I kind of forgot to mention that, there is definitely plenty of info on my site that would help ya as well.

Forgive me for being a bit short and unprofessional in my last post. Sometimes after all this time spent writing tutorials, answering PM's and emails and writing posts here, it gets a bit repetitive and stuff. Sometimes, when people seem so frustrated, I tend to forget what it's like to be completely new to all of this...

...I still think most of the info you seek is out there. Again, if I came across as a bit frustrated myself, I'm sorry- and remember that people like myself spend a good deal of our time making sure those of you that are new to this HAVE the info you need to succeed- so bear with us, breathe a little, and remember: It's only $25 or so when you DO decide to purchase your first clone, so if you hate it, it won't be the end of the world. None of the clones are so bad that they're not worth your money.

betterBquietnow

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2012
Massachusets
May I resurrect this thread to ask if the many vendors selling DID clones are selling the same device? It'd be a lot easier to choose which vendor if I knew that all the different DID clones were essentially the same, the only variable being price, shipping costs, whether or not they come with kanthal and SS or have to buy separate and if they sell it on the site...

OR, you could make it nice and easy for me and say "hey ben, go to this site and buy this one!"

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
May I resurrect this thread to ask if the many vendors selling DID clones are selling the same device? It'd be a lot easier to choose which vendor if I knew that all the different DID clones were essentially the same, the only variable being price, shipping costs, whether or not they come with kanthal and SS or have to buy separate and if they sell it on the site...

OR, you could make it nice and easy for me and say "hey ben, go to this site and buy this one!"

If it looks like the same one on every site... if it's called a griffin or a did clone or whatever they are the same, you can be sure if it says it comes in a tin box with a little wire and ss mesh. I got mine from http://www.smokerevolt.com/Rebuildable-Atomizer-Tank_p_337.html#

Best deal I have found, nice device especially after a couple simple mods.

betterBquietnow

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2012
Massachusets
If it looks like the same one on every site... if it's called a griffin or a did clone or whatever they are the same, you can be sure if it says it comes in a tin box with a little wire and ss mesh. I got mine from http://www.smokerevolt.com/Rebuildable-Atomizer-Tank_p_337.html#

Best deal I have found, nice device especially after a couple simple mods.

Awesome! I'm guessing that the IBTanked DID Clone Tank size is made for this one, as it seems to be the major DID clone on the market?

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
They may all look the same but they are not all the same, and i *think* they all come from the same factory, yet many "manufacturers" sell them, each one doing it a bit differently. There are many different versions of the DUD now, and the differences are:

-Materials: There's the common magnetic-steel/chromed brass version, the all chromed-brass version, and a SS version that may not be available yet (has a brushed finish, weighs more)

-kit contents: Some come with the metal drip tip; Some come with a plastic one, and some have none at all. Most come with wick and wire.

-Clear tank or metal tank

-Air hole size: As far as I know, the Griffin is the only DUD available with an open draw top cap, while the rest of them all have a smaller tight draw top cap.

There may be more that I can't remember-and as far as I know they all seem to have interchangeable parts, but yeah, there are differences.

Sinister Dexter

Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Cascadia
the IBTanked DID Clone Tank

I got the beveled tank from IBTanked and I wasn't able to install it on my DUD. It comes with replacement O-rings but there seems to be no way to put the tank on over the fat new O-rings, and if you put the tank on first there's no way to get the O-ring in its groove. My advice is, get the straight non-beveled tank. I haven't tried it but it looks like it would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread