cookiebun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Central Ohio

Accipiter-Lee

Apr 14, 2011
Nebraska
TPA's Cantaloupe tastes like Honeydew to me. In fact it is very good and has a spot in my usual rotation in the fresh-clean-light slot of flavors.

I'm not sure that many people know the difference between a Musk/Cantaloupe and a Honeydew. Which is weird since they are not the same thing.

You're absolutely right. :) I was fortunate enough to have a grandfather who loved musk/mushmellon's, cantaloupes, and honeydew mellon's. He would grow quite a few varieties every summer for decades, which meant plenty of melons come late summer. There are differences with these melons, but unless if you've tried them it's pretty easy to lump those melons as "one" melon.

I understand that vapor renu is working on their own melon type and it should be coming out sometime this month. Another melon to try. :)

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Wow! That's something. I spent my summers with my grandfather helping him "garden" a few dozen acres. Melons were his specialty. We'd take those melons to town every weekend and I'd marvel at how far people would drive to buy those melons from that ornery old cuss. Can't stand a "store bought" melon to this day. (and most road-side stands now-a-days sell the same "store" melons)

So if anyone remembers their parent or grandparents dragging them from Ohio or Kentucky all the way to some po-dunk town in Indiana to buy melons, I was that skinny kid cutting up melon and handing you samples.

Accipiter-Lee

Apr 14, 2011
Nebraska
Wow! That's something. I spent my summers with my grandfather helping him "garden" a few dozen acres.....

Hoosier, that's a fantastic! My grandfather never sold what he grew, because we had so many friends and relatives stopping by to his place for melons and sweet corn. Grandpa's 15-20 acres or as he'd call it his truck patch next to his house. A big winner was the black diamond watermelons - now that would be flavor to have a flavorist make!

The melons extracts that I've tried are really good, but they seem fairly "general". It's hard to explain, but it seems that they are more of a blend of several melons and not truly one kind. I'd vape a "cantaloupe" and it'd taste like one, but an hour later and it'd taste almost like a honeydew. Then a little later it would be something like a mush/musk melon flavor. I'm not sure if it's how the flavor extracts were "designed" or if it's my taste perception.

I'm going to give nature's flavor honeydew a try, but I want to see about looking up the data sheet on it first.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Ah, love the old truck patches! I would think your soil was less sandy, but still pretty fertile as black diamonds are a water hungry melon and need a rich soil to grow well. (we tried them one year and couldn't keep them wet enough)

We worked an old river bottom and did sugar babies and rattlesnakes. The rattlesnakes were from my grandfather's grandfather's farm and the line was lost before it became my time. The musk/mush line was from the same era and was a real open weave find I have never seen since. I think/hope the musk line was given to my great uncle and now a cousin, who has a farm in southern Indiana, still grows it and is keeping the line alive.

I should tell the story of planting 5 acres of potatoes during a blizzard some day...

Most plants were heirloom, but he loved the sugar babies and some hybrid eggplants and yellow tomatoes too.

I imagine most folks don't know about heirlooms and lines anymore or passing them along. I still have the corn line going and it is growing in my backyard now. A basement flood took out my onion line along with grandma's iris. Ah well, using her wilted lettuce recipe this year so the memories will continue even though her flowers are gone.

Accipiter-Lee

Apr 14, 2011
Nebraska
Ah, love the old truck patches! I would think your soil was less sandy, but still pretty fertile as black diamonds are a water hungry melon and need a rich soil to grow well. (we tried them one year and couldn't keep them wet enough) ....

Hey Hoosier, sorry for a late comeback. Work has me running in a few different directions this week. Almost on the border of the "sandhills" in Nebraska is where the family farms are located, so it was fairly sandy/silty soil. However, the truck patches always were right next to the irrigated farmland. Nothing like rowing for gravity irrigation. The joys of strining steel pipe for those patches always made us kids groan quite a few times come the first week of June. ;) My grandfather planted a couple of open weave mush's as well, can't remember what they were called but they were really nice and sweet, and large, larger than anything I've ever seen that is store bought. Tomatoes and Irises, brings back a lot of memories. :) Never did experience the joys of planting potatoes though, but it doesn't sound quite as much fun to me. ;)

Derailing the subject back onto honeydew I looked a few places up and unless if I commit to buy HD extract the sellers wont provide a material data safety sheet, claiming proprietary information. I laughed at that though. According to the fed data sheets are supposed to be available upon request - regardless.

I mixed up some perfumers, lorannes, and flavour art on a whim. Mixed the PA at 12%, Lor at 10%, and FA at 8%. Sure smells like a melon explosion at 30% just to see what would happen. Sometimes these over exuberances payoff, and sometimes, well, interesting to say the least. Going to it sit for 5 days and then give it a vape and see what it's like. Should be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread