Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Have you ever worked in a mine? I have. Yes, a lanyard is a wise accessory.

was just thinking of the provari in general, a mine? no but I have worked in refineries and metal smelting/casting plants. again just for me I couldnt or wouldnt feel good about bringing a $200 device into this environment, to each his own like i said it's just me.

CUOFFRDGA

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2011
Ball Ground, GA

Sounds like my bedroom after the martini bar ;)
I'd check out the TEC mod. Lockable bottom mechanical button. At $40, it's hard to beat

Killustration

Nov 1, 2012
Toronto
Just a reminder to everyone posting _this person is a miner, zero time for fiddling and probably the harshest, toughest, work environment on the planet, heat, humidity and incredible dirty.....................

This.
It's a rough place.
If this was a phone - an otterbox of vaping would be what we're trying to get at here.
I don't think something like this is available yet - so just durability for now is the biggest concern.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It sounds like your father would be comfortable with the size and form factor of a mod, which is good. They are much better constructed of heavier aluminum or stainless steel, when compared to the disposable eGos. They'll be able to take some physical abuse and keep on working.

Whatever mod he should decide on, I would recommend a belt holster from SerenityGear Leather if he plans on keeping it on him at work.

For mods that are extremely durable and in the intermediate price range between a Bolt and a Provari, I'll recommend either the Altsmoke BB or Silver Bullet. Both are $85. Both are made from heavy aircraft-grade aluminum that could withstand being driven over by a car or truck. High-use rated quality power switches. Silky-smooth, well-machined threading. USA-made with the customer service that only American companies can provide, even after warranty. I have both and love them both for different reasons.

The BB is smaller and lighter, so therefore more portable. The Silver Bullet is larger and heavier, not especially pocket worthy due to its size unless you have big pockets. Both hit equally well. Although I don't own them, also consider the Alpha and Omega mods Altsmoke offers. I wouldn't necessarily go with their starter kits but would buy only what you know your father will need. AltSmoke.com | Personal Vaporizers | Electronic Cigarette | Ecigs | Electronic Cigarette Starter Kits | The Yeti, Joye eGo, eGo Dual Coil Cartomizer, Silver Bullet, BB, Omega, Alpha

I don't particularly like metal tanks, but in this situation it might be a better solution. Maybe something like a anodized aluminum or stainless steel window tank from Big Daddy Vapor. A little pricey at $48, but you probably wouldn't find a tougher made tank considering your father's work conditions. Big Daddy 5ml Tanks & Tubes : Big Daddy Vapor

The pyrex tanks from http://phiniac.com/ are probably durable enough and in the same price ball park as the Big Daddy tanks.

bb_und_silverbullet.jpg BBAltsmoke.jpg VVV-7ml-tank3.jpg
BB and SB size comparison / BB / Silver Bullet

Last edited:

Killustration

Nov 1, 2012
Toronto
It sounds like your father would be comfortable with the size and form factor of a mod, which is good. They are much better constructed of heavier aluminum or stainless steel, when compared to the disposable eGos. They'll be able to take some physical abuse and keep on working.

Whatever mod he should decide on, I would recommend a belt holster from SerenityGear Leather if he plans on keeping it on him at work.

For mods that are extremely durable and in the intermediate price range between a Bolt and a Provari, I'll recommend either the Altsmoke BB or Silver Bullet. Both are $85. Both are made from heavy aircraft-grade aluminum that could withstand being driven over by a car or truck. High-use rated quality power switches. Silky-smooth, well-machined threading. USA-made with the customer service that only American companies can provide, even after warranty. I have both and love them both for different reasons.

The BB is smaller and lighter, so therefore more portable. The Silver Bullet is larger and heavier, not especially pocket worthy due to its size unless you have big pockets. Both hit equally well. Although I don't own them, also consider the Alpha and Omega mods Altsmoke offers. I wouldn't necessarily go with their starter kits but would buy only what you know your father will need. AltSmoke.com | Personal Vaporizers | Electronic Cigarette | Ecigs | Electronic Cigarette Starter Kits | The Yeti, Joye eGo, eGo Dual Coil Cartomizer, Silver Bullet, BB, Omega, Alpha

I don't particularly like metal tanks, but in this situation it might be a better solution. Maybe something like a anodized aluminum or stainless steel window tank from Big Daddy Vapor. A little pricey at $48, but you probably wouldn't find a tougher made tank considering your father's work conditions. Big Daddy 5ml Tanks & Tubes : Big Daddy Vapor

The pyrex tanks from Phiniac Rugged Pyrex Glass Tanks are probably durable enough and in the same price ball park as the Big Daddy tanks.

View attachment 150005 View attachment 150011 View attachment 150012
BB and SB size comparison / BB / Silver Bullet

This seems to be the most selected choice thus far from various places.
Durable and simple. Yet not too crazy on the price.

Any suggestions on where I could get a first time setup like this in Canada?

JeepBear

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2012
Tucson, AZ
burningman.com
This.
It's a rough place.
If this was a phone - an otterbox of vaping would be what we're trying to get at here.
I don't think something like this is available yet - so just durability for now is the biggest concern.

I heartily echo the eGo Twist/Vision Spinner and Dual Coil Cartomizer suggestions. I was looking for something similar when I went to Burning Man this year. I tested a lot of equipment for a number of weeks leading up to the event for heat (increases the fluid flow something awful), dust (kills regular cartos & clearos quick) and durability (I'm a big klutz) at a reasonable cost.

I ended up going with a handful of eGo Twists and about a dozen prefilled clear EMDCCs. They performed wonderfully:

--Dust didn't end up being an issue, other than to remove the DCC daily and wipe the threading section out. And believe me here, not even a mine is as dusty as the Black Rock Desert during a white out storm. We had plenty of them this year. The dust is mostly talc, so it's the finest, silty stuff you can imagine.

--1100mAh was enough to get through most days, and I always had a spare when it wasn't. A 1300mAh Spinner would probably do better, and they're shorter than the eGo.

--The DCC is a huge carto, holding 4-6ml depending on the model. I liked the clear ones because I rotate multiple flavors throughout my day and could tell the difference by sight, as well as how wet they were.
Also, the clear ones are cheaper than their metal counterparts. Look in the Classifieds; there's always someone selling a handful because they don't like them anymore.

--I never lost one, as they were always on a lanyard. Even if I had, they're relatively cheap compared to a Provari.

The one time I dropped a rig from my hand (from a platform 40 feet above the ground) someone stepped on it and it snapped off the EMDCC at the top (as the previous poster experienced) leaving the eGo just fine.

I do wish someone would design a more durable, industrial grade rig, or at least an 'Otterbox of vaping' as you've suggested. Something with a larger thread base than a 510, an easy-to-change dust filter and a heavier-duty lanyard would be great. Until then, this is what I use when I go camping, biking, shooting, building or anywhere outdoors and dusty.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Buggs5347

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Arizona
Shoot, I'd just start out with a few Ego C or Kgo batteries and some good cartos like Smok 1.7 xl single coils or Smok 1.7 ohm xxl's (Jumbos) which hold 2.5 mL juice. The flavor out of these is almost identical to dripping. In your father's line of work a tether or holder is always a good idea no matter the battery setup. You don't really need vv with the above mentioned setup. The batteries are durable and if you do lose one it's not that much expense to replace. You can even buy an empty cone to cover the carto for a little more protection to the connection end of the carto to battery. Taken apart, he might even be able to fit a couple of ego c batteries and a few cartos in a hard pack like he kept his cigs.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
This seems to be the most selected choice thus far from various places.
Durable and simple. Yet not too crazy on the price.

Any suggestions on where I could get a first time setup like this in Canada?
I can understand taking price into consideration when comparing products, but when you find something that appears ideal to your particular tastes or situation, I'd advise not to let that be the final determining factor over something that may be cheaper but be inferior quality. You get what you pay for. Pay me now, or pay me later.

To help justify price of vaping gear, I always ask how much was actually spent on cigarettes per month. If you paid something like $5 for a pack a day, that adds up to at least $150 a month for cigarettes. If you actually quit smoking, the cost of gear is much more reasonable.

Would you not be able to order directly from Altsmoke on their online store?

gerry81611

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Denver, CO
I agree, for truly battle worthy there is nothing available on the market. Mechanical switches fail and wear fast in dusty environments and any electrical mods can't be serviced on the spot.

my hats environment solution was similar, a bunch of ego batteries and cartos, considered disposable.

my suggestion is that the perfect solution can't be precalculated. get your dad a couple of egos and cartos. easy, small, will have a lifetime of 3 to 6 months. then see what the true problems end up being.. losing, dropping, dust damage, impact, water submersion, then pick a better solution.

g

PS: hope you had a great burn JB!

I heartily echo the eGo Twist/Vision Spinner and Dual Coil Cartomizer suggestions. I was looking for something similar when I went to Burning Man this year. I tested a lot of equipment for a number of weeks leading up to the event for heat (increases the fluid flow something awful), dust (kills regular cartos & clearos quick) and durability (I'm a big klutz) at a reasonable cost.

I ended up going with a handful of eGo Twists and about a dozen prefilled clear EMDCCs. They performed wonderfully:

--Dust didn't end up being an issue, other than to remove the DCC daily and wipe the threading section out. And believe me here, not even a mine is as dusty as the Black Rock Desert during a white out storm. We had plenty of them this year. The dust is mostly talc, so it's the finest, silty stuff you can imagine.

--1100mAh was enough to get through most days, and I always had a spare when it wasn't. A 1300mAh Spinner would probably do better, and they're shorter than the eGo.

--The DCC is a huge carto, holding 4-6ml depending on the model. I liked the clear ones because I rotate multiple flavors throughout my day and could tell the difference by sight, as well as how wet they were.
Also, the clear ones are cheaper than their metal counterparts. Look in the Classifieds; there's always someone selling a handful because they don't like them anymore.

--I never lost one, as they were always on a lanyard. Even if I had, they're relatively cheap compared to a Provari.

The one time I dropped a rig from my hand (from a platform 40 feet above the ground) someone stepped on it and it snapped off the EMDCC at the top (as the previous poster experienced) leaving the eGo just fine.

I do wish someone would design a more durable, industrial grade rig, or at least an 'Otterbox of vaping' as you've suggested. Something with a larger thread base than a 510, an easy-to-change dust filter and a heavier-duty lanyard would be great. Until then, this is what I use when I go camping, biking, shooting, building or anywhere outdoors and dusty.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Killustration

Nov 1, 2012
Toronto
I agree 100% with your post. Again, this isn't MY doing - this is my father. He's simple and a cheap ........ So like I posted earlier starting him off with something somewhat less ideal but that works ok for the time being..

As for ordering from Altsmoke - I wasn't sure if it's able to be shipped to Canada, unless that's just juice - then it shouldn't be an issue I guess? Not too sure.

I can understand taking price into consideration when comparing products, but when you find something that appears ideal to your particular tastes or situation, I'd advise not to let that be the final determining factor over something that may be cheaper but be inferior quality. You get what you pay for. Pay me now, or pay me later.

To help justify price of vaping gear, I always ask how much was actually spent on cigarettes per month. If you paid something like $5 for a pack a day, that adds up to at least $150 a month for cigarettes. If you actually quit smoking, the cost of gear is much more reasonable.

Would you not be able to order directly from Altsmoke on their online store?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree 100% with your post. Again, this isn't MY doing - this is my father. He's simple and a cheap ........ So like I posted earlier starting him off with something somewhat less ideal but that works ok for the time being..

As for ordering from Altsmoke - I wasn't sure if it's able to be shipped to Canada, unless that's just juice - then it shouldn't be an issue I guess? Not too sure.
I don't believe that is an issue. Altsmoke has a forum in the Vendor Suppliers forum towards the bottom of the ECF home page. Ask the question there. Halopunker is the owner and browses the forum about every other day or so. Or you can inquire on their website.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
If it's cheap you are after, get a Bolt and see how he likes it. When it breaks, then call Altsmoke! I've got a cheap VV mod, love it, but when I'm out splitting wood, welding in the garage or working on a piece of equipment, my BB is in my pocket! I KNOW I can drop it, and it WILL work! I KNOW it can get walked on, run over, dirty, wet, whatever, and it WILL work! If you do something stupid, as I have, they aren't hard to take apart and repair, if you can solder! Basic, solid, simple! Did I mention SOLID?
I'm sure the larger ones are built as well, but I really like the size of the BB, fits in a pocket nice and I don't have to worry much about it falling out.
If I could find someone to build a Kick for it, I think it would be perfect for people who are hard on things, like myself!
I want a Provari, but $200 is a chunk for me to come up with, and I hear the stories of them being dropped, but you get into LCD's, circuit boards, etc., just things for me to worry about breaking, or not working! K.I.S.S nails what works!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread