Lost Flavor, MTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_zullo

Jan 31, 2014
Plantation, FL USA
Hi, I am a mouth to lung vapor (just like smoking a cigarette). I use the Innokin Kroma A mod with the Zenith tank. I use a 1.6 ohm coil at 9.5 watts. I know that there are better set-ups for me and am looking for suggestions. I am not a cloud chaser but just want good flavor and a coil that lasts. I don't know if I vape too much but I have totally lost the taste, I use Red Drop from Mountain Oak Vapors. I have always been weary of vaping at high wattages but don't know much about it. Please help!!! Thanks. Mark

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I use 1.2 coils at 12W so not that different to you. Can't help on tanks because all mine are old and not even on sale any more.

A thought on flavor. If I use one flavor all the time I lose the taste pretty quickly. When you do figure out what gear to buy I suggest you get a few and set them up with different flavors. As different as possible. I know some people use only one flavor for years and are happy that way but it wouldn't work for me.

G and C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
California
I agree with Englishmick. I also vape MTL, usually 1.8 at 11w. I keep three home brewed flavors on hand all the time and rotate through them as I make my way through the week because a single flavor for weeks on end will either make me stop tasting it, or just make me tired of it. Maybe try mixing it up a little bit and see how that goes for you?

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I doubt you'd get more flavor from higher watts.

I have to disagree there. Higher wattage increases the temp and higher temps do produce more flavor. (But I can't take high temps, feels weird to me.)

For me, there is a big difference in satisfaction and flavor from 10W to 12W on a 1.2 to 1.5 ohm coil.

@mark_zullo
    Trying upping your wattage a bit. Just 0.5 watts at a time.

I also have to admit that I was always MTL vaper who never wanted to do DL. But then tried DL (restricted DL) and I get more flavor from DL. I DL most of the time now. I'm not suggesting you try DL as that is something you have to want to do on your own. But definitely increase your wattage if your coil allows for it.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    When I started, I used the "best" drop in coil tanks (Nautilus 2, Zenith). The best of those won't approach flavor, longevity, throat hit, or economy of a good rta, and there are a bunch of good ones now. With May approaching rapidly, I'd consider learning to build a simple rta. You'd be independent of government control over what you vape. I use EHPro True, and Fumyvape Precisio (best ever). But the very inexpensive and still available SXK/SJMY Doggystyle is better than drop ins, to me. You can get them for around $10, they're massively popular, cheap, easy, simple trouble free design, and I have several for my long term stash. Get a good rta, and you vape virtually for free.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    I have to disagree there. Higher wattage increases the temp and higher temps do produce more flavor. (But I can't take high temps, feels weird to me.)

For me, there is a big difference in satisfaction and flavor from 10W to 12W on a 1.2 to 1.5 ohm coil.

@mark_zullo
    Trying upping your wattage a bit. Just 0.5 watts at a time.

I also have to admit that I was always MTL vaper who never wanted to do DL. But then tried DL (restricted DL) and I get more flavor from DL. I DL most of the time now. I'm not suggesting you try DL as that is something you have to want to do on your own. But definitely increase your wattage if your coil allows for it.
    Yeah I agree with smac (not SMACKDOWN, which my autocorrect preferred) on this one. Watts only increases vape volume for me. In fact, I go 8-10W for that reason. I learned all the nuance of flavor disappears proportionally with wattage increases, so I go as low as I can, while still delivering "enough" volume. But we're all different, so you just have to experiment to see what works for you.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Taste is subjective, YMMV. I've tried DL and the choke was too much; though, I get it. I've just seen too many MTL toppers that are more true to flavor.

Tighter airflow definitely increases flavor for MTL. In fact, depending on the tank, it can be too overwhelming for me and makes me want to cough. That's why I prefer a loose MTL when I vape MTL.

VapingMattCA

ECF Veteran
    Feb 27, 2010
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Of the Zenith coils I have on hand, the 1 Ohm RDL coil is the best. 18 to 23 watts. Good flavor and vapor production. Not many sites sell it. I bought mine from Kangerwholesaleusa.com. I do agree you might want to change flavors and see if that helps. Right now vaping on a 2016 Digiflavor Fuji GTA dual coil RTA at 40 watts with SS316L coils and having a great vape bought for $5 on sale.

I just started making my own coils and with watching youtube videos and practice it is not that hard. With May approaching you may want to get some RTAs and a coil master V3 kit, wire, cotton etc and start learning how to make your own coils. The Fuji and the Siren GTA (also $5) both are easy to mount coils in. The Siren GTA is a MTL tank if you only want to vape MTL. Once you find out which you prefer you can buy the latest and greatest so you can get extra glass, o-rings etc to stock up.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread