Lost in RTA land

Status
Not open for further replies.

quittingvegas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Las Vegas
I need to restock my stash since big bad gov't and media keeps attacking my lifestyle. Problem is I don't have a clue about the current rebuildable options.
I went thru last couple pages of the section and just got myself more confused. Top flow vs. Bottom flow. MTL VS DTL. single coil vs dual coil..... Oh the days when vaping was easy... I almost just want to buy a Kayfun and be over it..lol

My last purchase was the Aromamizer RTDA V2, before that was the Augvape Borea. I have never figured out which club I belong to (MTL VS DTL.) I like a medium draw, if that makes any sense. My build quality is not that great. I usually just go to steam engine and try to get around .5 with 28g 316L SS. Currently building a dual coil but I think I might want to revert back to single. I'm open to either.
Please give me some direction on a tank that holds more than 4 ml and doesn't leak.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I need to restock my stash since big bad gov't and media keeps attacking my lifestyle. Problem is I don't have a clue about the current rebuildable options.
I went thru last couple pages of the section and just got myself more confused. Top flow vs. Bottom flow. MTL VS DTL. single coil vs dual coil..... Oh the days when vaping was easy... I almost just want to buy a Kayfun and be over it..lol

My last purchase was the Aromamizer RTDA V2, before that was the Augvape Borea. I have never figured out which club I belong to (MTL VS DTL.) I like a medium draw, if that makes any sense. My build quality is not that great. I usually just go to steam engine and try to get around .5 with 28g 316L SS. Currently building a dual coil but I think I might want to revert back to single. I'm open to either.
Please give me some direction on a tank that holds more than 4 ml and doesn't leak.
I can speak to the aromamizer. That’s a DL vape. Good side is they make replaceable decks for it. They’re super handy. Only issue is the central post is press fit so you don’t replace the insulator you replace the deck. Takes a few years for an insulator to wear out though. Insulators can theoretically be 3d printed and press fittings can be pulled and repressed like auto bearings. Decks are $10 apiece last I checked. Maybe a handful of this and some replacement glass Might all you need hardware wise.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

One other thought: the aromamizer is a pretty old atty. is it pre 2016? If so you’re golden.

Reactions: Heartsdelight

quittingvegas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Las Vegas
Have a peep through this thread on Top-air RTAs - it should give you some pros & cons on them.

This is a link to the summary for this thread

Thanks for the summary link. I had seen the thread but missed that post. That's definitely a keeper

One other thought: the aromamizer is a pretty old atty. is it pre 2016? If so you’re golden.

I'm so confused with the regulations.. Was there a change in the date items had to be on the market? Back when I was initially stocking up they stated anything made prior to 2007.
It is a good advice to get an extra insulator / new deck. I actually went and found a place that has the V2 on clearance and I might pick up a few. Payday on Friday if they are still in stock.

Reactions: Heartsdelight

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thanks for the summary link. I had seen the thread but missed that post. That's definitely a keeper

I'm so confused with the regulations.. Was there a change in the date items had to be on the market? Back when I was initially stocking up they stated anything made prior to 2007.
It is a good advice to get an extra insulator / new deck. I actually went and found a place that has the V2 on clearance and I might pick up a few. Payday on Friday if they are still in stock.
Is it good advice? Depends on how much you like the aromamizer. I read here that it is not impossible that a lock will come down on any atomizer not on the market before some specific date in 2016. Iirc @Eskie had details. It’s around here somewhere. Me I’m not worrying too much myself. I’ve got a lot of atties, at least a few mods, and about 8 months worth of high strength nic base. Part of the worry is there’s not a lot of info on what the fda might do and there’s a lot of running in circles. There are parallels in other regulated industries that could be pointed out.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
You might want to try the Dvarw DL clone rta. It’s perfect for the wire & Ohms you mentioned.

Fasttech has the no logo’s rta’s.

2fdeal.com has the Lysen Vazzling clone with logo’s. I have both & I enjoy it.

Also Steam Crave has a newer single coil atty they advertise it as for MTL or Restricted DL. But I think more for Restricted DL. It’s the Aromamizer Lite rta.

• Useful
Reactions: AngeNZ

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

I've been vaping Kayfuns for years and never really moved away form them for long. I have enough attys in various brands, models, and styles to last me the rest of my life. The best advice I could offer is to read the reviews and especially the user comments before buying any atty you haven't actually used before. There's usually a page for each commonly used atty right here on ECF. Those are invaluable.

If you vape mostly MTL most MTL atties allow slip streaming (lips loose on the atty to allow side air to enter along with the vapor from the atty). That method resembles a low to medium vapor DTL hit. If you vape DTL all the time you definitely need attys with high ariflow.

Rebuilding is easy once you get the hang of it. Watch the YouTube videos for the atty you are interested in and they will show you all/most of the ways the deck can be coiled.

SXK Doggystyle is a good MTL tank with good flavor. It's easy to refill and recoil.

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
@quittingvegas, have you heard anything about the Coppervape Hussar Project X?

They're single coil and easy to build, the non MTL version does restricted DTL to an airy MTL. And there's plenty of space for the coil.
He would need the extension as he wanted a tank that holds 4ml or more ;)

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
True @Heartsdelight, but the clone I think has 3.5ml capacity extension.

It's just a pain though at times, as it seems that a lot of RTA's with large capacities seem to suffer with wicking issues.
I have the extension I didn’t measure it with a syringe but FT advertises it as a 4ml. With the Coppervape Project X with extension I haven’t had any wicking issues.

I also have the Steam Crave Aromamizer v2 with the optional 8ml extension tank with the single coil deck & also no wicking issues.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
@Heartsdelight, never tried one of the Steam Crave RDTA's. I keep hearing good things though.

The Aromamizer Plus looks nice, I wonder though how much would the 20ml conversion affect the quality of the vape.
It’s on clearance now, end of life sale on Steam Crave, on SC you can get the complete kit at a fantastic price & it seems all of the China sites also but not the complete kit from what I saw. it would be a great time to buy if you’re interested. I’ve never used my 20ml tank but I’ve heard people love it. Let’s ask @TrollDragon i know he has tried it with the 20ml option.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
@Heartsdelight, never tried one of the Steam Crave RDTA's. I keep hearing good things though.

The Aromamizer Plus looks nice, I wonder though how much would the 20ml conversion affect the quality of the vape.
I don't find a lot of difference between the 10ml and the 20ml configs, some report the 20ml config has a little less flavor due to the chimney length but I haven't noticed.

The Plus in 20ml config is a really TALL tank, I used it mostly for show and tell at the local Clouds Bro Clouds B&M. ;)
3EHiCmwl.jpg

Now that SC has released the 15ml bubble glass for the Plus that's all I run, same height as the 10ml configuration and uses the stock 10ml chimney.

Poor webcam photo from work, 15ml bubble on the Plus' and a Supreme V2 with 8ml extension.
rta-jpg.820049

The Plus is one of the easiest RTAs to build wick and maintain, it really shines with a pair of 4mm ID coils and I have used 5mm in it, but I wouldn't go below 3.5mm.

The single coil deck for it supposedly works quite well, but that's not my style and I'll pass you back to @Heartsdelight for the low down on that one.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
I don't find a lot of difference between the 10ml and the 20ml configs, some report the 20ml config has a little less flavor due to the chimney length but I haven't noticed.

The Plus in 20ml config is a really TALL tank, I used it mostly for show and tell at the local Clouds Bro Clouds B&M. ;)
3EHiCmwl.jpg

Now that SC has released the 15ml bubble glass for the Plus that's all I run, same height as the 10ml configuration and uses the stock 10ml chimney.

Poor webcam photo from work, 15ml bubble on the Plus' and a Supreme V2 with 8ml extension.
rta-jpg.820049

The Plus is one of the easiest RTAs to build wick and maintain, it really shines with a pair of 4mm ID coils and I have used 5mm in it, but I wouldn't go below 3.5mm.

The single coil deck for it supposedly works quite well, but that's not my style and I'll pass you back to @Heartsdelight for the low down on that one.
Ok don’t laugh at me ;)
I like the single coil deck for the Plus :D I prefer the Aromamizer Supreme v2’s more with the single coil deck though cuz the Plus is airier :p

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
@Heartsdelight, just imagine an Aromamizer Plus on an LV Triade.
If the Triade didn't have that raised 510 I would have my SC Titan sitting on one. The Plus has a smidgen of overhang on that raised 510 and I have no idea why LV would even do that. Quality mods with large area, center mounted 510s are few and far between.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Ok don’t laugh at me ;)
I like the single coil deck for the Plus :D I prefer the Aromamizer Supreme v2’s more with the single coil deck though cuz the Plus is airier :p
I'd never laugh, :wub: the Plus is an airy tank designed for dual coils. I run the same build in my SV2 as I do my Plus, I likes em hot and greasy. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread