Lost Vape Orion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a great device with amazing build quality. But there is 1 issue, the nicotine will be a lot stronger in this device. I noticed after using it for a few weeks my nicotine tolerance went up drastically.

If you are going to use this device maybe try the next step lower in nicotine. A 35mg salt nic feels like a 50mg in this device.

Here is a review of the device that goes over the same issue.

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
It is a great device with amazing build quality. But there is 1 issue, the nicotine will be a lot stronger in this device. I noticed after using it for a few weeks my nicotine tolerance went up drastically.

If you are going to use this device maybe try the next step lower in nicotine. A 35mg salt nic feels like a 50mg in this device.

Here is a review of the device that goes over the same issue.

I noticed this as well, except not on my Orion device (using the DNA version)

I purchased some 50mg nic salt Dinner Lady Lemon Tart, thinking I could use it in my Kayfun Prime.

I use a JUUL and a Phix, which both have 5% aka 50mg nic salt in them.

Well, the experience made me feel ill.

I think the little pod mods like JUUL or Phix work well with the 50mg...but in my Kayfun Prime I am going to step it down to a 35mg.

Haven’t tried nic salts in the Orion yet.

I will likely use 35mg also!

I purchased some 50mg nic salt Dinner Lady Lemon Tart, thinking I could use it in my Kayfun Prime.

I think the little pod mods like JUUL or Phix work well with the 50mg...but in my Kayfun Prime I am going to step it down to a 35mg.

Yes, I definitely agree. The pods on these devices are overkill for nic salt.

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co

Not sure if this helps or not. I've been mixing with salts exclusively for about 4 months now. I messed around with nic levels a bunch when I first got my orion and found that anything more than about 25mg is overkill.

Using the .25 pods with 25mg juice at 10 watts, boost 4, and replay warmth at 5 I can feel the effects of the nicotine in about 8-10 puffs. Set up like this, it works great for short "smoke" breaks at work. If you chain vape I'd probably go even lower.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Sold both of my Orions. Harsh MTL and too small for DTL. Beautiful little devices, really wish they would have worked for me but I'd rather carry a couple of stick pods. I get a more satisfying MTL vape from my Kanger Evod kits with 50mg nic salts than I got from the Orion.

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
I'm back again, earlier in this thread somebody mentioned rebuildable pods ?? has that happened as of yet ??

Nothing yet!

Odis is supposedly working on one, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

They have a history of limited numbers, accessible via Facebook only, and of rushing products to market before they’re ready, leading to lots of issues that are poorly handled.

• Informative
Reactions: Heartsdelight

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
Nothing yet!

Odis is supposedly working on one, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

They have a history of limited numbers, accessible via Facebook only, and of rushing products to market before they’re ready, leading to lots of issues that are poorly handled.

just dam !! these make a great lil stealth mod ,but the pods just burn up too dam quick for my liking

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
I picked up a second GO today to have a “spare” as I think it’s a stellar little mod. I like the Orion, even though I have not been all that happy with pod life. It was suggested to use mints/menthols or other non sweetener type vapes to increase pod life. Regardless, i use the .5 w/ salts during the day and switch to the .25 w/ 3mg freebase during the evenings to reduce my nic and allow me to sleep. Fingers crossed that someone comes out with a rebuildable.

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co
I picked up a second GO today to have a “spare” as I think it’s a stellar little mod. I like the Orion, even though I have not been all that happy with pod life. It was suggested to use mints/menthols or other non sweetener type vapes to increase pod life. Regardless, i use the .5 w/ salts during the day and switch to the .25 w/ 3mg freebase during the evenings to reduce my nic and allow me to sleep. Fingers crossed that someone comes out with a rebuildable.

Sweeteners do seem to be the main thing that kills pods quickly. I've been using a strawberry cream diy flavor with a fairly high flavoring level almost exclusively since I got my orion and have had no issues with pod life what so ever. I've been able to get a solid 10 days minimum out of the .25 pods and in a couple of cases got as long as three weeks out of a pod using the orion as my only device.

I've also noticed that opening the fill cap every 5-10 puffs seems to help wicking and improve pod life somewhat. This seems to be more of an issue with the .5 ohm pods for some reason.

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co
Just a bit of an update on my thoughts on the orion thus far.

I've had mine for about 6-7 weeks now and it has now more or less replaced all of my other vape gear. I still have an ego one that I use at home for flavors that are coil killers but it gets used less and less.

So far I've yet to find much about the orion that I truly dislike. I do wish we had a rebuild option of some kind, even if we where restricted to small resistance windows. Battery life could be better and some changes could be made to the pods to improve flavor and mtl hits. However over all the device is beautiful, well made, and of higher quality than even a lot of mods on the market.

I transitioned rather quickly from using sub ohm rtas as my daily drivers to using the orion in place of them. It used to be that we had to have huge tanks and big mods to get a decent amount of nicotine without a ton of throat hit. Had something like the orion existed when I first started vaping I probably would have never went back to smoking. It probably sounds corny but this device has changed my life in a manner of speaking. I no longer have to carry an arsenal of batteries and 30ml of juice in my pocket everywhere I go. Just charge the orion, top off the juice and I'm good for around 6-8 hours.

I like my first orion so much I decided I'd grab another one, decided on the black/ocean scallop. I may try to do an in depth review of the orion at about the 3 month mark.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Can't too harsh be corrected by lowering nic? And for DTL, you can program it for 30 watts with a 40 watt boost. That should be more than plenty. Pods won't last long though. :(

I tried a lot of different levels of nic. Just to be clear: I bought two Orions as high-capacity MTL replacements for my small pod mods - IMO the Orion is too small (battery and juice capacity) to use all day for DTL with 6mg juice. I have REOs mods for that. I tried the same strength of juice (45-50mg) in the Orions and in my Nautilus AIOs and I get a perfect vape in the Aspire mods with no harshness or hacking. The Nautilus AIO feels cheap in comparison and isn't a DNA mod, but for 25 bucks it gives me a 1000mah battery, 4.5ml capacity, a fire button, replaceable coils and gives me a great MTL vape with 50mg juice. I love it.

I'm glad folks are happy with their Orions, and I really wanted to like mine, but it just didn't work for me. I tend to cut my losses quickly and sold them.

tdman77

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2019
New Orleans
I'm glad folks are happy with their Orions, and I really wanted to like mine, but it just didn't work for me. I tend to cut my losses quickly and sold them.

I got two of them and am still using them. Right now I am only using them for R-DTL when I am out and don't want to carry a mod around. Being a DNA device I expected it to be much better than all the pod systems I have used. (If I could only shrink down my Paranormal/Kayfun Prime setup.)

The guy at the local vape shop told me that the new 0.5ohm pods now have the smaller air chamber. Did not pick any up since I still have a couple boxes of pods left. So I still have a little hope that it just might work out.

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
My main mods are DNA's mainly squonkers and I agree the battery in no way will last me a day; but my main gripe with the Orion is the inconsistency in the pods. I have one .25Ω that has fantastic flavor and is going on a month with 1-2 fills per day. But others never get anything but a muted flavor and last much less time. That said for me it is a niche mod and a mainstay in the arsenal.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
I tried a lot of different levels of nic. Just to be clear: I bought two Orions as high-capacity MTL replacements for my small pod mods - IMO the Orion is too small (battery and juice capacity) to use all day for DTL with 6mg juice. I have REOs mods for that. I tried the same strength of juice (45-50mg) in the Orions and in my Nautilus AIOs and I get a perfect vape in the Aspire mods with no harshness or hacking. The Nautilus AIO feels cheap in comparison and isn't a DNA mod, but for 25 bucks it gives me a 1000mah battery, 4.5ml capacity, a fire button, replaceable coils and gives me a great MTL vape with 50mg juice. I love it.

Don't sweat it gpjoe. There isn't a single device in the vaping world that is right for everyone. While the vast majority of Orion DNA Go users have been quite happy with the mod that doesn't mean it's right for you. Just move on and find what you like. Too bad you bought 2 devices before you tested enough to determine if the mod suits you, but it's just money so no big deal right?

Good luck with the Aspire AIO, I tried that before the Orion and found a few things about it that made it a very bad mod for me. But I will say the AIO has better flavor than the Orion so I had to reformulate my juices to get the flavor I wanted with the Orion. A bit of work, but very good results in the end.

Good luck with finding the pod you can live with.

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co
The guy at the local vape shop told me that the new 0.5ohm pods now have the smaller air chamber. Did not pick any up since I still have a couple boxes of pods left. So I still have a little hope that it just might work out.

I've had both the new and old .5 pods. The newer ones are slightly reduced because they added a tapered dome just under the chimney, but it really doesn't reduce the chamber size very much. I honestly didn't notice a huge difference between the new pods and the old ones. It's possible the change might be more noticeable with mtl, I tend to use r-dtl with the orion.

On somewhat of a side note, it seems like the newer pods wick a bit more reliably than the older ones. They seem to be putting slightly less cotton in the newer pods.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Don't sweat it gpjoe. There isn't a single device in the vaping world that is right for everyone. While the vast majority of Orion DNA Go users have been quite happy with the mod that doesn't mean it's right for you. Just move on and find what you like. Too bad you bought 2 devices before you tested enough to determine if the mod suits you, but it's just money so no big deal right?

Good luck with the Aspire AIO, I tried that before the Orion and found a few things about it that made it a very bad mod for me. But I will say the AIO has better flavor than the Orion so I had to reformulate my juices to get the flavor I wanted with the Orion. A bit of work, but very good results in the end.

Good luck with finding the pod you can live with.

Yeah, I've wasted a lot of money over the years trying stuff. I tend to be more selective now that I am retired and know what I like. Less likely to impulse buy, but the Orion got such rave reviews I thought for certain I would like it. Really, since I sold the Orions quickly I only lost a few bucks.

I also thought the flavor on the Orion was a bit muted compared to the Nautilus. I am very satisfied with the Nautilus and it has the same battery life as the Orion and large juice capacity, so it's a win. I can fill it up and go running around and with high-nic juice it lasts a long time as I don't need to chain vape to be satisfied.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Yeah, I've wasted a lot of money over the years trying stuff. I tend to be more selective now that I am retired and know what I like. Less likely to impulse buy, but the Orion got such rave reviews I thought for certain I would like it. Really, since I sold the Orions quickly I only lost a few bucks.

I also thought the flavor on the Orion was a bit muted compared to the Nautilus. I am very satisfied with the Nautilus and it has the same battery life as the Orion and large juice capacity, so it's a win. I can fill it up and go running around and with high-nic juice it lasts a long time as I don't need to chain vape to be satisfied.
I'm coming late to the pod trend. I've got an Orion Replay, Aspire AIO, and a Minifit. I decided to use pods only for backup and stealth which means not many puffs per week. The Orion is the best vaping, puff for puff, but weight and size make it not the best for backup and stealth. It is mostly an impressive conversation peice. The Aspire is competent, okay, but that's about it. The Minifit wins hands down for backup and stealth because because it's the smallest by far. It is also the least expensive of the three and the replacement pods are the least expensive. To make it work I made a batch of 36mg freebase, three times the strength of my usual DIY. I don't feel the need for salt nic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread