Lost Vape Orion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Kind of bummed. I was excited when I first started seeing it previewed. This thing looks exactly like what I want...mtl, size, quality, dna, replay, aesthetics. Except you can't rebuild the pod. Using NET, and my inclination for liking a really clean coil, I just can't see paying $4.00 per pod. The design is beautiful, but it's kind of curious that they make so much of the system disposable- drip tip, AF, SS fill caps, even so much of the pod is actually the body of the mod when assembled. If they make a version with similar design that allows you to plug a $2.00 coil in, or better yet- recoil & wick yourself, I'm all in.

This thing may (and probably does) vape fantastic, but it's a pretty expensive to own/operate pod system. Disposable internal battery, coupled with expensive pods make it probably the most expensive system I've seen. I keep hearing pods last a long time, but it's still a (ss?) coil with cotton. I know dna is great, but I don't know what magic they can use to make those materials last that much longer than the same materials in other products.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Anyone have the Gold Abone version or the Blue one? I would like to see actual photos in these colours other than marketing stuff.
You mean like this? My Gold Abalone is in the mail.

Lost Vape Orion - Blue.jpg

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Kind of bummed. I was excited when I first started seeing it previewed. This thing looks exactly like what I want...mtl, size, quality, dna, replay, aesthetics. Except you can't rebuild the pod. Using NET, and my inclination for liking a really clean coil, I just can't see paying $4.00 per pod. The design is beautiful, but it's kind of curious that they make so much of the system disposable- drip tip, AF, SS fill caps, even so much of the pod is actually the body of the mod when assembled. If they make a version with similar design that allows you to plug a $2.00 coil in, or better yet- recoil & wick yourself, I'm all in.
What's the difference between a $2 drop in coil that only last a month, or a $4 pod that lasts 2 months? The cost is the same per year. I don't see any issue myself. And with drop in coils, do you really want to vape from that same plastic tank forever? So besides buying $2 coils, you'll be also buying $8 pods too once in awhile.

This thing may (and probably does) vape fantastic, but it's a pretty expensive to own/operate pod system. Disposable internal battery, coupled with expensive pods make it probably the most expensive system I've seen. I keep hearing pods last a long time, but it's still a (ss?) coil with cotton. I know DNA is great, but I don't know what magic they can use to make those materials last that much longer than the same materials in other products.
Well a Ford Mustang and a Jaguar are also made from the same materials. But what a difference in performance. Same kind of thing going on here. And squeezing coils into a metal tube just doesn't perform as well as coils in a much larger deck area IMHO. And that makes a big difference.

And the Orion isn't really expensive so far to me. You know how many crappy pod systems I have spent money on already? Most which taste and perform horrible. And the leaks and juice in your mouth and so on. And I am not too worried about the internal battery. Sure I would love user replaceable cells. But I know of no commonly replaceable cell that would fit inside this box. And Lost Vape states in their manual.

Contact Lost Vape or an authorized repair centre for battery servicing.​

So it sounds like you don't have to worry too much about this either. Although some of us will probably be replacing our own batteries. :)

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
What's the difference between a $2 drop in coil that only last a month, or a $4 pod that lasts 2 months? The cost is the same per year. I don't see any issue myself. And with drop in coils, do you really want to vape from that same plastic tank forever? So besides buying $2 coils, you'll be also buying $8 pods too once in awhile.

Well a Ford Mustang and a Jaguar are also made from the same materials. But what a difference in performance. Same kind of thing going on here. And squeezing coils into a metal tube just doesn't perform as well as coils in a much larger deck area IMHO. And that makes a big difference.
You've made valid points and given good info in this thread, Bill. I'm not saying this is a bad system - just that it's not for me. I really wanted to like and buy this. Overall, it's very well designed and freakin' gorgeous!

Yeah, your math works out on the $2/$4 stuff. But in any system I've used, it's the coil itself getting buildup that makes me replace it. You say it lasts twice as long, but how, exactly? What is the magic metal that prevents buildup of residue? Here's a snip of Todd's video showing the pod cut open. It's just a lot of wicking material and a small metal coil. I just don't see any breakthrough technology keeping the coil cleaner. I don't know of anything that would make it stay cleaner than an RTA.
upload_2018-9-16_9-57-36.png

I'm sure you're getting good performance out of it, but for me- I've never gotten more than 7-10 days out of any drop in coil or rta before I detect a big difference in flavor, and replace. And that was true before I started using NET (Yes, I know I'm in the minority with that- I don't know how I could possibly have that much sensitivity to taste after smoking 45 years?). I don't use drop in coils any more, partly for that reason - but this system, if it had them, would make me consider it.

Yes, your point on using the same plastic forever is also valid. But on the other hand, I've been vaping out of my plastic Doggystyle for many months, so I wouldn't be averse averse to using a rebuildable pod for quite a while.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, or talk anyone out of it. I'm just clarifying my opinion. This is a nice looking system, and without a doubt, the closest to making me want to try a pod or drop in. I'm sure many people will love it. I'm sure it's the best pod system on the market. And I can very easily afford it - but I'm a tightwad at heart (and serial tinkerer), and it just would bug me to throw away $4 every week or two, when I can build a coil for $0.0164, or 243 coils for that price. I hope Orion helps a lot of people not smoke, and is a stepping stone to making the pod I'll buy. :)

UpNorth

Sep 3, 2018
Tundra, Minnesota
I got one of these because it was small and easily carried. It's been fantastic so far 0.25 coil @ 27w. Like others said it takes a tank or two of juice before it gets really good. Much better than any other pod system I have tried. I am waiting for the 0.5 pods to come so I can try some salt in it. I like it so much I find myself using it at home.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Yeah, your math works out on the $2/$4 stuff. But in any system I've used, it's the coil itself getting buildup that makes me replace it. You say it lasts twice as long, but how, exactly? What is the magic metal that prevents buildup of residue?
The magic isn't in the coil and wicking, but in Replay. When you prevent those sudden temperature surges, you prevent excessive build up. Thus your coils will last longer.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, or talk anyone out of it. I'm just clarifying my opinion.
Oh I never taken it as argumentative at all. :)

I can very easily afford it - but I'm a tightwad at heart (and serial tinkerer), and it just would bug me to throw away $4 every week or two, when I can build a coil for $0.0164, or 243 coils for that price. I hope Orion helps a lot of people not smoke, and is a stepping stone to making the pod I'll buy. :)
Me too. Although my coils cost me 10¢ each to make. About 50 Claptons from 15 feet of wire. And those Claptons also last me about 2 months each. Yes I run them under TC. Not only does TC make your coils last longer and prevent dry hits, it also lets you dial in the sweet spot for a particular juice. And then lets you hit that spot automatically every time afterwards. :)

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
The magic isn't in the coil and wicking, but in Replay. When you prevent those sudden temperature surges, you prevent excessive build up. Thus your coils will last longer.
But as I understand it, Replay doesn't do anything to prevent sudden temperature changes. It simply replicates a hit you've created. You can prevent sudden temperature changes with TC, particularly with eScribe, but most people seem to want the opposite. They want the coil to reach the desired temp as quickly as possible. VooPoo's Gene chip, for instance, is on the map because of this speed. In fact I think it was mentioned that by default, Orion uses Boost. And the purpose of boost is to create a more sudden temperature change. So I'm still left wondering what would make this pod's coil last longer than others?

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Well Brewdawg1181, TC you can set it up as Power Dominant or Temperature Dominant. To add more complexity, you can vape having the temperature rising until a max temperature and then flat line. Vaping this way is known as Power Dominant. What is nice about this way is complex juices releases certain flavors at certain temperatures. So you end up with a mix of different flavors. Here boost is handy to get the ball rolling faster.

The other way is Temperature Dominant. Here the coil goes straight to the set temperature and then flat line. Most people vapes with TC in this way. Here there isn't much use for boost at all if the wattage is set high enough to instantly get it up to flat line right anyway. But if wattage is set low enough, now boost comes in handy. But then you are vaping closer to Power Dominant method too.

Replay on a DNA75C/250C can be used either in wattage only or under TC. But on a DNA Go (aka Orion), you only have Replay under wattage only. And you can't enable Replay without at least giving it a last puff to look at. So you have to start out in wattage mode. So here you should be careful and not get it too hot and gunk up your coils. Not only do you have boost and wattage to get to the sweet spot, but air flow also plays a big key in getting to the desired temperature.

So while you are vaping by wattage only, you hunt for that sweet spot using boost, wattage, and air flow. Once you found it which shouldn't take a lot of vapes, then you lock that one in. Now you don't have to worry about controlling your draw or anything. It is always going to hit that sweet spot temperature every time. And it doesn't matter if your wick is going dry or been sitting too long and the wick is loaded full of juice or anything.

It is operating just like TC does. The difference is that Replay doesn't need to know cold resistance, coil material (TCR), or even set temperature setting. All it is looking for is the coil resistance at the sweet spot and then adjust wattage accordingly to keep it there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread