Lots of 'my blu' ads that are placed between posts here on ECF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
I have been a member here on ECF for a little over 4 years, but recently have not posted much.

I have noticed that just lately these ads for 'my blu' e-cigs showing up in all the various threads ... usually stuck between every 5 or so posts.

Is this something new that they are now placing all over? Is anyone seeing these ads in all the threads? I never used to see these ads before stuck between posts.

Maybe it's just my new Chrome browser with Windows 10 that is to blame?

Reactions: stols001

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
I have Ad Blocker turned on.

Here is what this very thread looks like to me:

bGhG41V.jpg

• Useful

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Some of those ads are user targeted (I don't think the Blu ones are) and it's really interesting how much they can deduce from browsing traffic.

I went one time on a website to check out some jewelry to buy my girlfriend for her birthday and for months all I got were engagement ring ads.

AvE (youtuber) also tells a story about how he was talking to his friend on the phone about farming equipment and some type of plant, forgot which. Either way, next day his friend had ads for farming equipment to cultivate this particular plant.

This is a vaping site, might not be user targeted but it's definitely audience targeted.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
The number 1 product that is bought and sold more than any other, is YOUR personal data. Your browsing habits, purchase history, likes, dislikes, interests, hobbies, possible medical issues (based on your searches), your name, address, email address, phone number, and more.

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
If you are using a different browser or have not enabled add blocker, well yes, you are going to see ads. To make them leave permanently you can become a supporting member. It's worth it in other ways, too, IMO. If I use a forum frequently enough, I will usually support it, because I want it to stick around and etc.

Anna

Agreed. Support the site.

The number 1 product that is bought and sold more than any other, is YOUR personal data. Your browsing habits, purchase history, likes, dislikes, interests, hobbies, possible medical issues (based on your searches), your name, address, email address, phone number, and more.

Most folks don't have a clue how much is known about their lives via data collection. There are now AI programs that can predict, with I think it was an 85% success rate, what YOU will be doing in say 7 hours from now! (or 10 or 20 etc...) These programs know what you're going to be doing even BEFORE you do! Think about it.

For further info read Bruce Schneiers book' Data and Goliath' or Kevin Mitnicks book 'The Art of Invisibility'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread