Lots of questions - I'M A HUGE NEWBIE =/ ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traceur

Nov 6, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hey everyone, this is my third post on this forum but for people who don't know anything about me, I'll explain. I'm a non-smoker and I'm 18 years old. I like smoking but never got into the habit because of all the cons of smoking analog cigs (I realize there are cons with vaping also, but that's another thread). I want to state now that I'm a total newbie when it comes to smoking and vaping. I'm currently vaping with those crappy gas station "Economy pack" e- cigs (It's an automatic). So I'm going to just list a bunch of questions and I hope you guys can help.

1. What's the difference between lung inhalation and mouth inhalation and which is better/more efficient?

2. I read some threads that said there really is no need for lung inhalation when vaping. But isn't that the whole point of smoking in general, to inhale the smoke or vapor into your lungs to get a throat hit ? When you only inhale into your mouth, it does nothing, unless I'm missing something. And is inhaling the vapor into your mouth dangerous like it is with smoke?

3. What technique should I use when smoking? I'm not very familiar with many smoking and vaping terms but I've read about taking 2 or 3 "prime puffs" before inhaling in order to warm up the atomizer. Is it as simple as taking two or three puffs into the mouth and then one long drag into the lungs, or is there something else behind it?

4. How often should I vape, since I am a non-smoker ?

Whoever replies to this, I thank you in advance.

-Traceur

Twistedlemon

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Tampa Area, FL
1. What's the difference between lung inhalation and mouth inhalation and which is better/more efficient?

Lung inhalation you are breathing the vapor/smoke into your lungs. Mouth inhalation you are "sucking" it into your mouth, from which you can either exhale it or breath it in, or a little of both. As for better, as a smoker of 27 years, neither is good. While Vaping may not give the joyous toxins of analogs, you are still breathing something other than air into your body. Not good

2. I read some threads that said there really is no need for lung inhalation when vaping. But isn't that the whole point of smoking in general, to inhale the smoke or vapor into your lungs to get a throat hit ? When you only inhale into your mouth, it does nothing, unless I'm missing something. And is inhaling the vapor into your mouth dangerous like it is with smoke?

Some simply like the flavour

3. What technique should I use when smoking? I'm not very familiar with many smoking and vaping terms but I've read about taking 2 or 3 "prime puffs" before inhaling in order to warm up the atomizer. Is it as simple as taking two or three puffs into the mouth and then one long drag into the lungs, or is there something else behind it?

Neither. Dont start

Dont

Of course, these are simply my opinions. If you are not already doing it, dont start

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
1. The difference is simple. Lung inhalation is opening up your throat, and breathing the smoke or vapor directly into your lungs. Mouth inhalation is pulling the smoke or vapor into your mouth first, then inhaling it from there. Or, not inhaling at all, as cigar smokers.

2. Throat hit is kind of stronger when you inhale directly into your lungs. Reason is, the smoke or vapor is hottest when it's first produced. Holding it in your mouth for a second or two cools it down. Personally, I'm not crazy about direct inhalation, as it's not a very pleasant throat hit to m.

3. Primer puffs are not getting inhaled. You take a puff, and release it just prior to the second and/or third puffs. Each subsequent puff that you take will produce more vapor than the previous one, because the atty is getting hotter each time.

4. That's up to you.

Pamdane

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2011
Cleveland area, Ohio
Most people get a sore mouth and or throat a week of so after starting. So mouth inhalation is better during this time, to allow the soreness to go away.
Either way, the nicotine gets absorbed. Just like analogs and cigars. Since nic is not known to be a carcinogen, neither choice is riskier than the other.
Few people just start for the hell of it. Why start now, unless you are one of the few with a health condition that nicotine is advised for.
Primer puffs are usually only necessary on low voltage PV's. The VV's, 5V and higher devices dont really need this.
As for how much to vape, if your not using Nicotine, vape to your hearts content. If you are using nic, start low. Less than 6mg. More could result in side effects. Look those up. Each person is different.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
I really don't think it is wise to tell some one how to smoke/vape.:2c:

Your living in NY, its expensive enough to live there without having a addiction/hobby like vaping. Do yourself a favor, DON'T Start!

Yeah, I thought about this too when reading his questions. However, he asked questions and I answered. Quite honestly, this person knows that smoking is bad for him. I'm completely of the mind set that if someone wants to start vaping, it's better than picking up cigarettes. He said that he likes smoking, just like I do. That's why I vape. I'm not the moral majority here. These decisions have to come from within.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
That's where I disagree. I think anyone's recreational use of an ecig threatens our right to access to ecigs to stay off cigarettes.

On the other hand, you bring up a good point. There are plenty of pharmaceutical drugs, designed for the medical world, that became a controlled substance because the kids used them to party with.

Michael Curry

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2011
Panama City, FL
That's where I disagree. I think anyone's recreational use of an ecig threatens our right to access to ecigs to stay off cigarettes.

So at what point does it change from therapeutic to recreational? I sure hope it is'nt when we add tasty flavorings, or get a nice mod to enhance our enjoyment.

Sounds like a slippery slope.

Balthezar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2011
Fayetteville, GA

Lung inhalation you are breathing the vapor/smoke into your lungs. Mouth inhalation you are "sucking" it into your mouth, from which you can either exhale it or breath it in, or a little of both. As for better, as a smoker of 27 years, neither is good. While Vaping may not give the joyous toxins of analogs, you are still breathing something other than air into your body. Not good

Some simply like the flavour

Neither. Dont start

Dont

If I knew then (at 15, before I started) what I know now, I would agree, don't. But I told my nephew this 2 years ago, and now he is smoking a PAD analogs, AND has since had a collapsed lung. Go figure.

Balth

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread