Lounge Lizards / Misfits / Free Thinkers / Bohemians & the Forgotten :: Young at Heart Only

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Hola .. :)

At the peak, a few days ago, Fall Colors were pretty spectacular this year .. I'm in Hermann, MO for the tail end of October Fest .. it's about the closest you're going to get to Europe without actually going to, er, Europe .. staying at a nice B&B .. crisp nights, lukewarm days ..

1666975529375.png

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Sitting at a winery right now, listening to a German Oompah Band, having a nice semi-sweet red and some cheese .. sundown soon, and it's going to cool off .. will probably grab a light dinner and head back to the B&B .. interesting group there and a nice common space with a big fireplace ..

I always try and stay at the same place if I can .. and to get that 'Game of Thrones' old World feel, here is what my room looks like ::

1666993145305.png

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
After my coffee, I decided to go outside and greet the day. The garage door would only go up a foot and then stop. I let it down to give it another chance to do the right thing and it did the same thing. Limbed on the back of the truck to wiggle whatever I could find. Sometimes it works but this time it did not. When I was up there I noticed a spring on one side was in two pieces. Yep, I had a broken spring. I was so lucky that my friend gave me a name of two garage door people and I called both to get a quote. They were both about the same so I went with the one that said he could come this afternoon.

Two springs, 15 minutes, and $410 dollars later, my garage door is doing its thing. Thank goodness. I hate using the front door for some reason.

As I was taking my walk today, I noticed there is something using my driveway as their personal restroom. Maybe Canadian Geese? I don't know. I've never had this issue before. I hope they are just transient. If not, I would appreciate it if they would use someplace other than where I walk.

Had Chinese with a girlfriend tonight. It was delicious and I am sure it will be tomorrow night too. Still can't decide if I want to go camping. I will just see how I feel when I wake up.

Hope everyone sleeps well and has a wonderful Saturday. :wub:

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Good beautiful morning!! By now it's gotten up to 36 degrees, which is a bit chilly for me, but the sky is blue and the sun is shining brightly. Beautiful.

Mike has been doing fabulous work posting stuff to be sold or given away. What a chore that is because so many people are so inconsiderate and rude. They say they'll be there at 5:00 and never show up or ask if it's still available and then a few days later say they'll be right over to pick it up - like they're the only people interested. Or they expect you to wait for them to decide and are angry when they find out the item is already gone - AS STATED ON THE SITE if they'd bother to read it.

Anyway, a pretty big guy showed up last night all by himself, with a hand truck not really knowing what his wife sent him to pick up. Said his son was supposed to help but bailed on him at the last minute. It's a dining room set - 5 chairs, table with leaf and custom pads, china hutch, long buffet table and a wine tower. We felt sorry for him being by himself so we decided to help. Mike and I were struggling with the buffet and he walks over and says, "that's ok, I got it" and he did! Picked it up all by himself and headed out to his van. Wow. That man finessed all that furniture in his van and off he went. Almost felt like tipping him for all his work, but we were giving him the furniture for free so I stopped myself. Mike did go online and told his wife she owed him big time! Hope they enjoy the set as much as we did over the years.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
I have never stayed in a B&B. I might put that on my list.

While there are always many hotels to choose from about anywhere you go, going the B&B route, to me anyway, is just a much more personal experience .. and, they have gotten very easy to find and research ..

Over the years, I've had only one bad experience and that was at a place in Cripple Creek, CO .. the owner had way over glamorized his place on line .. but, on the upside, I did successfully pan for gold ..

And, IMO, everyone should take an Amtrak somewhere at some time .. I've ridden the 'City of New Orleans' 4 times and it's always an experience .. when a bunch of strangers are confined in a train, you make friends and discover a very diverse slice of humanity ..

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

While there are always many hotels to choose from about anywhere you go, going the B&B route, to me anyway, is just a much more personal experience .. and, they have gotten very easy to find and research ..

Over the years, I've had only one bad experience and that was at a place in Cripple Creek, CO .. the owner had way over glamorized his place on line .. but, on the upside, I did successfully pan for gold ..

And, IMO, everyone should take an Amtrak somewhere at some time .. I've ridden the 'City of New Orleans' 4 times and it's always an experience .. when a bunch of strangers are confined in a train, you make friends and discover a very diverse slice of humanity ..
When I returned from a 6-month cruise, my sisters had me join them in Mendocino, Ca. for a weekend and I stayed in a B&B. It was made like a hotel in the old western days. Dang good food, too. Also, Mendocino is where the movie, "The Birds" was filmed. It was a fabulous weekend.

I also took an Amtrak from northern Oregon to central California. It was a wonderful adventure and going through the mountains was beautiful.

I splurged on myself and bought a new radio for monitoring SW, LW, Air, and of course AM and FM. stations. It is a small portable radio and I have good antennas for hooking up to it. I was getting the radio programmed and had an external antenna hooked up. I turned it on it didn't want to put out any sound. I was at my wit's end. After I had tried everything, I could think of I started checking all the antennas. The problem was discovered I had the external antenna plugged into the headphone input. I really can be a ditz at times.

Happy Saturday and On Patrol: Live.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
everyone should take an Amtrak somewhere
Well of course you probably know I have not done that yet either. I have to ride on a steam engine train on my list and think I will add this too. (and definitely the B&B)

I may never finish the things on my list but I get joy out of knowing I still believe it could happen. A girl has to have dreams. I am going to make darn sure I accomplish some things on that list and more than likely come up with a few others while trying to do so.
wink.gif

Last edited:

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
I finished cleaning out a closet yesterday and I sure wish I knew a big and tall man that needed warmth (and not for the reason that sounds like
laughing.gif
). He would have a different coat to wear every day for about a month. I guess that's why dad stayed cold even when the thermostat was set at 74.

For the first time in my life, I have control over the temp in my abode and it is awesome. I may end up cranking the heat up a little bit when it starts getting really cold.

I am wondering if maybe that has something to do with me sleeping better lately. I have read that cooler temps are optimal for sleeping. Whatever the reason. . . hallelujah! I do a lot of thinking in the excessive free time my mind has, and I also think I am starting to get my rhythm back. I'm talking about my circadian rhythm (not my guitar playing). For 7 and a half years, I have had to turn on a light when I entered a room because dad would not let me open drapes and let the light in. Now it is the first thing I do after I make up my bed and get dressed. I go through the house opening all the blinds. (that's why I had to wash windows) I have also come up with a few other ideas why I am sleeping better but I can't share those.
laughing.gif

Hope everyone has a pleasant Sunday.
blowkiss.gif

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
Hope they enjoy the set as much as we did over the years.
I know what you mean. My mom had a duck fetish and a girlfriend came over the other day and took several bags of ducks home with her. She has several ponds and I guess she likes them too. I even gave her the duck back scratcher I have been using for 7 years. The only bad thing is I have been rubbing against every door frame in the house since I gave it away.
laughing.gif
That's okay. I can buy a new one and she loved it.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Morning, all.

Between storms atm, and it looks like duck would be a good costume for the kids, whether they're out early (tonight) or tomorrow.

have read that cooler temps are optimal for sleeping.

True, dat, imo. We have windows open at night, year round. Of course, some winter mornings that does get one moving quickly! :w00t:

:lol:

The problem was discovered I had the external antenna plugged into the headphone input. I really can be a ditz at times.

Surprised they're the same connector, bad design.

1667137228486.png

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Good evening. Today we all met at our son's house because their little town was having Halloween for the kids from 10:00 - 2:00. All the shops were handing out candy and one place had cookies the kids could decorate and eat on the spot. It was a lovely day and so many people turned out. The kids had a blast.

Just as I predicted. There is to be an eclipse of the moon for the first time in something like 372 years on election day. Yep, it's going to be overcast with some rain that day so we won't be able to see it. Of course.

I was so busy yesterday. I got up 5 more bags of clothes to take to the church. I had kept the following 2 sizes for when I gain again but I decided to just get rid of them. When I gain, I will go buy more. I like this attitude. heehee

My dad had an inexpensive desk that had two drawers. I drug it out to the enclosed back porch along with his oversized Lazy Boy recliner. Everything that I could find a place for I took out there.

I was going to take apart the desk and try to box it up to take to the church but I got agitated and unleashed the beast that resides within and it ended up in pieces. But looking on the bright side, it made it a lot easier to take down to the burn barrel and it is out of the house. My barrel was full of all the storm waste and bush trimmings but I got it all burned.

I wanted to take what I was drinking down to the burn barrel so I tucked it in my bra like I do everything else when I need both hands. I forgot I put it there and bent over to pick up more boards to throw on the fire and poured it all down my front. I wonder if the neighbors see me come out and decide to sit down and watch me because they know I always do something YouTube-worthy.

The enormous recliner (the one my feet did not even touch the floor) is now in the back of the truck. I have not decided what I am going to do with it. At least I did not burn it. I figured that one out when I burned all the old pillows and carpet from the bathroom. I was very grateful that the fire department did not take this opportunity to visit me.

Well anyway, I had a productive yesterday. A closet that has turned into crafts storage and a happy sunroom. And I did it all by myself without having to get out my medical toolbox. Yes, with dad, I had to make a box for quick emergencies I could take out in the yard. EMS has nothing on me.

No more setting off the sirens. Of course, I always try to find a way to help myself. I made a small label to go over each deadbolt lock in the house that simply says "ALARM". I am so clever at times that I scare myself. heehee Not sure what I am going to get into today. There really is no telling, but you know I'll tell you about it. ;)

Happy Friday all.
YOU GO GIRL!!! I'm proud of you! Just don't hurt yourself doing all that work. I want you to enjoy your life.

Mike just paid a couple hundred dollars to 2 enterprising high school students to come with their truck and trailer and they loaded them up with junk from the basement and garage and hauled it away. Woohoo! It was worth every penny. I think U-haul has guys you can hire or just put out the question to your facebook friends or your local Nextdoor site if you have one.
Sitting at a winery right now, listening to a German Oompah Band, having a nice semi-sweet red and some cheese .. sundown soon, and it's going to cool off .. will probably grab a light dinner and head back to the B&B .. interesting group there and a nice common space with a big fireplace ..

I always try and stay at the same place if I can .. and to get that 'Game of Thrones' old World feel, here is what my room looks like ::

View attachment 983622
Oh wow! That's amazing! You found a real gem!
I think I am going to make a new temporary rule in my house. If you come to visit, you have to take a bag of something home with you. View attachment 983761
Absolutely! Great idea! We did that with our kids and their stuff stored in the basement. We should have kept going with their stuff in our attic too, but we didn't and now we're stuck getting rid of it all. We're already using our neighbors extra trash cans and I'm not sure there are enough trash days to get rid of it all before we leave. Too bad we can't burn here. Wow, they'd probably be able to see the glow in New Jersey!

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Good morning. Hope everyone has a great day today.

It's pretty cloudy here today. Weather says we could get rain later. I hope not for the Trick or Treaters going out tonight. At least it'll be in the 60's so not too cold for them. We lucked out yesterday with lovely weather for the Halloween participation of the businesses in Downingtown.

I've got to run out today and get some candy - nothing like waiting til the last minute. I've been to the grocery store a few times recently and forgot to get any, probably because of our diets I just avoid that aisle. If it doesn't come in the house it doesn't get eaten.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Morning all.

Happy to report that soggy weather continues :) Not so good for the kids, unless they all dress as Aquaman.

Mike just paid a couple hundred dollars to 2 enterprising high school students

Dang, they still make those? :lol:

1667223679872.png

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
House is under contract but has a contingency so we shall see. I am almost unpacked from the move, it is exhausting.

Miali says good morning.
View attachment 983830
Hello Miali!! You're looking chipper this morning!

Oh wow, you mean there is an end to all this moving stuff? So glad to hear that! We're exhausted too and we haven't moved yet! Still sorting through boxes. What a mess.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
YOU GO GIRL!!! I'm proud of you! Just don't hurt yourself doing all that work. I want you to enjoy your life.
Thank you. I honestly did not realize it would be this much work, but it is especially when you are doing it all alone. I went up into the attic to get something for the back porch that I was cleaning and decorating and I quickly came back down those stairs because it was too overwhelming.
Surrender.gif

Users who are viewing this thread