Status
Not open for further replies.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
My LP Grand has been acting weird and not sure what's up with it. I've done weekly cleanings and lightly nolax (don't have the gold pen stuff yet) the fire pin and stuff but still a few wonky issues.

When i vape it, after like a second or two, it starts to like "die down" even on brand new 18650 AW IMR batts. I did clean under and around the fire button thinkin maybe juice got gunked up. Just tried my new Chalice III on it and the atty got super hot. I think I bought the repair kit (LOL, not even sure, need to look) but I'm not good at this stuff plus wanna make sure something else isn't wrong

if I have the repair kit, can I express mail to Rob and for a fee of what ever he charges, he can check it all out for me? And usually how long does it take for a little TLC/check over and get it mailed back? I hate this happened by the holidays and I'm leaving to Michigan and would hate to not take my Grand with me. Oh and my LP grand is about 4-5 months old.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
UGH...emailed Rob and just picked up my Grand and it was rattling inside. Opened cover, and saw my batt was sitting weird...collapsed spring. Spring must have been starting to do this for awhile now and I didn't know. Now I know the signs.

What causes a spring to collapse and anyone know if I can still ship to Rob and pay for it to be switched out cuz I'm a dork and don't wanna do it myself? LOL

built4feel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
South Central PA, USA
UGH...emailed Rob and just picked up my Grand and it was rattling inside. Opened cover, and saw my batt was sitting weird...collapsed spring. Spring must have been starting to do this for awhile now and I didn't know. Now I know the signs.

What causes a spring to collapse and anyone know if I can still ship to Rob and pay for it to be switched out cuz I'm a dork and don't wanna do it myself? LOL

Just get a good screwdriver that fits the spring screw and swap em out. Push the spring towards the back of the mod first, with a flat head screwdriver, to bust the screw loose (makes it easier and so it doesnt get stripped)... When putting in the new spring, to hold the spring in place (square) put a nickel and a penny behind the base of the spring, on the back of the mod. Tighten up the screw (and put a dab of noalox under the spring and on the screws threads). You're back in business.

Id try doing it yourself first. It's really easy to do.

Oh yea, and definitely check your atty on a resistence meter before trying to fire the mod again. ;)

Last edited:

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
Just get a good screwdriver that fits the spring screw and swap em out. Push the spring towards the back of the mod first, with a flat head screwdriver, to bust the screw loose (makes it easier and so it doesnt get stripped)... When putting in the new spring, to hold the spring in place (square) put a nickel and a penny behind the base of the spring, on the back of the mod. Tighten up the screw (and put a dab of noalox under the spring and on the screws threads). You're back in business.

Id try doing it yourself first. It's really easy to do.

Oh yea, and definitely check your atty on a resistence meter before trying to fire the mod again. ;)

Ok gotta check if I even bought the kit. And just had a panic attack...can this situation ruin my brand new Chalice III? And what causes a spring to collapse so I know what not to do again? LOL. Thanks for the help!

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Ok gotta check if I even bought the kit. And just had a panic attack...can this situation ruin my brand new Chalice III? And what causes a spring to collapse so I know what not to do again? LOL. Thanks for the help!

Ang there is something going on with that atty, I'll bet on it. Either a super low ohm build or a short will cause a spring collapse. What meter are you using to check the build of the Chalice with? Don't know that atty personally, but if it has an adjustable center post and it's too flush with the 510 threads of the atty you are looking at the potential for it shorting out the Reo. (In other words the atty is trashing the Reo - not the other way around.) We need to figure out what caused the spring to pancake before replacing it.

caup

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Cologne, GER
I don't have a Chalice, still I don't think, that you will ruin it.
But you must find the reason for the short to prevent further battery trouble like thermal runaway.
Since you used the Grand without Problems, I would assume the new Chalice is the problem (short).
As built4feel said, check its resistence before further use.
You might have to reposition the coil or even rebuild it.

You can easily replace the spring yourself, if you have one available.
If you can't locate the problem, I would spend a spa visit for everything

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
OH GREAT! You can check the Chalice too? Fantastic! Sent you an email this AM, but this is before I found out about the spring.
No problem and check out that video a couple post below good stuff to no . You dont need a super star fluke meter like super x you can ignore that part although I do have a fluke .

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
AngiBe,

With the way the wire gets captured by the nut on the Chalice III, it's very easy to have the wire tail on the right post hit the cap. This has happened to several people. It's very important to meter the Chalice III with the cap on before firing it. A partial short can cause a lot of heat at the coil. Your spring did it's job and that's why its there, protected you and your battery.

Since your atty had time to heat up, it sounds like a partial short instead of a full short. the spring would drop before the atty heated up with a full/hard short.

Last edited:

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
SEVERAL people have had a spring collapse on one of their first builds in the Chalice III.
So don't feel bad!
It's VERY tight in there - you probably got a short from a wire touching the inside of the cap. Or something similar.
The way to carefully prevent that is to check your resistance on an ohm-meter AGAIN after you screw the cap on!
Be very careful of the wire legs exiting the post - tuck them up against the post, and NOT on the "outside" edge - that's RIGHT near the edge of the atty and could brush the cap when you put it on...

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
UGH :(! If this has happened...did I actually ruin BOTH my REO AND my New Chalice??? It sounds like I can send the REO to Rob's Hospital (my poor guy isn't even getting a spa treatment, more like a cast) but is my Chalice shot? I know I read somewhere (at least I thought) that their atty was fried from doing this stupid move.

I can't figure out how I did this considering I had ZERO issues on the Chalice II (or any other small atty I use) and a Z coil which others thought was a PITA. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
One step at a time, Angi. It could very well be a simple as a coil leg touching the cap, causing a short and dropping your spring (which is exactly what it's designed to do). The net of that could just be needing a new spring - easy 1 minute job. Too early to have thoughts of a fried reo and/or atty.

The CIII seems to be prone to this happening, BTW - even very experienced Reonauts have run afoul of it in the last week or so. It's just got such a confined platform and tiny, tiny chamber.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
UGH :(! If this has happened...did I actually ruin BOTH my REO AND my New Chalice??? It sounds like I can send the REO to Rob's Hospital (my poor guy isn't even getting a spa treatment, more like a cast) but is my Chalice shot? I know I read somewhere (at least I thought) that their atty was fried from doing this stupid move.

I can't figure out how I did this considering I had ZERO issues on the Chalice II (or any other small atty I use) and a Z coil which others thought was a PITA. :facepalm:
You didn't ruin them I am sure the atomizer is fine . You cant ruin a grand unless you run it over with a mack truck and hit the brakes letting it drag under foot for 40 yards

Newportlocal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2013
Orange County,Calif.
When I get home, going to take a look at the legs and see. Pretty nice safety feature on the REO huh? Shew

Seems this has been well discussed already, but you should be fine. Just rebuild the chalice coil and meter it with the cap on to make sure you don't have a short before you put it on your REO. Replace your REO spring. Bet everything works fine. Highly doubt you have "ruined" anything except the aforementioned spring that served as a short protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread