LR Atties...Where...When?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzguy

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
Plano Tx
I have used 5 so far. I had one DOA (awaiting response as well, but I know things have been crazy for them the last few days!) and I blew one myself. I've been using them heavily on both a TornEgo setup and the XHaler at 3.7V and love them. I ordered 3 more (along with an XSHaler and a bunch of other stuff) yesterday. I'm pretty stoked to try out the LR801, assuming I'm one of the first 50 orders - I don't have much 801 experience but I hear it's a great dripping atty. The LR version is a welcome innovation.

EDIT: I see Drew posted at the same time I did.

Drew - I tried my 'DOA' on 4 batteries (2 17670's and 2 TornEgos), then tested it with a multimeter and confirmed it was dead. I'm not questioning your methods (and I really appreciate the fact that you test them before sending), but is it possible that a few slip through the cracks, or are somehow damaged during shipping?

On the other hand, upon receiving it, I did rinse it in hot water and reprime it with some HV juice before attempting to fire it up. I'd be really shocked if something I did before attempting to fire it would have damaged it, but I guess anything could happen. Also, it was a brand new freshly charged 17670, so voltage was over 3.7. Thing is though, there was no action, no sizzle or anything - just a cold atty. All my other ones have been great.

Last edited:

jazzguy

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
Plano Tx
I am interested in them but hate to waste money on having dead attys right out of the box. I have been lucky on all of my regular 501's they all have lasted a long time and I am a heavy vapor. I have been rotating 2 for a couple of months.

Honestly, I really don't think there are many DOA's out there. It seems Drew tests them all, so even if a few slip through the cracks it's expected there would be a very low DOA rate. They have been out for a bit now, and I have not heard about many DOA's at all - certainly a lower rate than most atties out there. I think there would be a lot more complaints around here if it were a widespread problem. I wouldn't be worried about ordering some (see my post above - I just ordered 3 more!)

Yes - I had one that was DOA, BUT I have had a much higher DOA/short life rate with other atties, even from my small sample size of 5 in use so far. I actually got a 5 pack from somewhere with all 5 DOA with the retailer refusing to replace them. (No, I won't be ordering from there again). And I like these so much better than anything else that even if I don't get my single DOA replaced, I'm still happy and will continue to order more from Drew. That's just me though :)

Tempus Fugit

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2009
Mos Eisley, Tatooine, Outer Rim
upon receiving it, I did rinse it in hot water and reprime it with some HV juice before attempting to fire it up.

I'm curious about why you rinsed. Is there a need to do that before using them? I got all three of mine, and noticed they had no primer in them at all (completely dry). I put 5 or 6 drops in one to prime, and vaped away. It tasted a tad funny for the first couple of puffs, so I added about 3 more drops. I repeated this with all 3 (to make sure there were no DOAs), and all are currently working beautifully. Were yours dry at shipment too? I guess I could understand rinsing if they had that nasty primer in them, but was wondering why you would do it if they were dry. Oh, and (dumb question) did you let them dry out completely after rinsing, before you fired them up?

jazzguy

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
Plano Tx
I'm curious about why you rinsed. Is there a need to do that before using them? I got all three of mine, and noticed they had no primer in them at all (completely dry). I put 5 or 6 drops in one to prime, and vaped away. It tasted a tad funny for the first couple of puffs, so I added about 3 more drops. I repeated this with all 3 (to make sure there were no DOAs), and all are currently working beautifully. Were yours dry at shipment too? I guess I could understand rinsing if they had that nasty primer in them, but was wondering why you would do it if they were dry. Oh, and (dumb question) did you let them dry out completely after rinsing, before you fired them up?

Actually, no, there probably wasn't a need to rinse first with these atties. I did it out of habit because I've felt the need to do it with other atties I've bought before. I didn't do it with the other LR's and all was good. Also good point about making sure it was completely dry. I thought it was, but it had been drying upside down for probably 4-6 hours, and come to think of it, I should have left it to dry overnight. I'm not above admitting mistakes, and I can see how the possibility exists that it was a good atty and I broke it myself. I usually do let them dry overnight, and will in the future. Thanks for bringing that to mind!

Tempus Fugit

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2009
Mos Eisley, Tatooine, Outer Rim
I'm guessing that 4-6 hours should be enough time to dry completely. I live in AZ, and I rinsed one a while back just to get some goopy VG juice out of it, blew it out really well, and the thing was completely dry and firing in a couple of hours tops. It is pretty super dry here, and I'm not sure how humid/dry it is in your part of TX.

I've actually had pretty good luck with atties so far. I got my Joye 510 at the beginning of February, and chain vaped on the two original atties until I got the LR atties for my new Vypr yesterday. I got a couple more atties about a month ago, one of which kind of halfway died on me. It seems like literally half the coil is not lighting up. It still works, but I would only use it if every other atty I had was dead. Anyway, the two originals and the other backup I got have seen heavy use with no problems at all. I hope my luck continues with the LR atties!

Typically, I'll blow out a new atty as much as possible, load it with about 5 drops, take a few drags, then top off with 3 drops. I rarely blow atties out at night, and just pick up my pv and start vaping in the morning. I add juice as necessary, 3 drops at a time. I think I'm always just a tiny bit flooded (better too wet than too dry, IMHO), and occasionally get a little bit of leakage. When I want to switch to a different juice, I will blow out the atty until the paper towel is dry or almost dry, then do the 5/3 thing again. Often when switching, I'll do 3 or 4 5-10 second dry burns, letting it mostly cool between burns. I have experimented with LONG dry burns on that halfdead atty, and I'm amazed at what it can handle. I can go 30 seconds at a time, let it mostly cool, then do it again. I have done this up to 5 times in a row, and that atty still hasn't completely died. It makes me pretty queasy to do that, even on an atty I consider expendable. I guess the reason I am saying all this is that I'm wondering if anyone else uses simliar methods, and how their luck has been. I really don't know if I am just atty-lucky or if I have stumbled upon the right method.

Edit: Oh, and I typically take 4 to 7 second drags on a regular atty, and 3 to 5 second drags on an LR. I'll let the atty cool off a little (10-20 seconds or more) between drags.

Last edited:

Krythis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
WNY
krythis.com
2 days and mine is still going strong. One thing I noticed though...The vape is pretty nice on my USB PT with inline battery, but I made a 1 CR2 Fog Log(looks like a big copper pill :lol:) and it was mediocre. The PT is putting out ~4.0v and the Fog Log ~3.0-3.4v and there's a big difference in the vape.

Last edited:

Ionredline

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2009
Lawrenceville,GA
I just killed my second one in two weeks.I consider myself a light to moderate vaporer and yes I kept them wet.Maybe too wet in fact, I topped the cart every 4 to 5 drags.I also made sure I took 3 second drags so as not to overheat the coil.

I took a drag and about three minutes later I went to take another and sucking air.Threw it on a mulitmeter and it's dead as a doornail.

jfdpl686

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
New York
www.flickr.com
I just received 3 of this puppies and the first one works fine I’ll try the other two later…
Now, my issue is that cartridges don’t really fit correctly in this LR attys. All my carts are totally loose in the attys.
Holding them works, but now I’m wondering id the LR are slightly wider than normal attys and if I need some sort of special carts.

Anybody?

mcl5000

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
Allentown, PA
I'm guessing that 4-6 hours should be enough time to dry completely. I live in AZ, and I rinsed one a while back just to get some goopy VG juice out of it, blew it out really well, and the thing was completely dry and firing in a couple of hours tops.

I'm confused by what you're trying to say here. Just blow them out and they work instantly. No need to wait hours for them to dry, just to make them wet again...?

Red Dog

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Massachusetts
www.facebook.com
I just received 3 of this puppies and the first one works fine I’ll try the other two later…
Now, my issue is that cartridges don’t really fit correctly in this LR attys. All my carts are totally loose in the attys.
Holding them works, but now I’m wondering id the LR are slightly wider than normal attys and if I need some sort of special carts.

Anybody?

I just got mine 15 minutes ago, and noticed the same thing. I also find that the primer in these is much nastier than that found in standard 510 atty's. Hope it doesn't take long to burn that primer off so I can start enjoying these.

I'm using it on a SP2 with a 510 adapter, and vaping Fried Spiced Apple from DIY Flavor shack.

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
Nhaler does not offer any warranty on these or any other atomizers. Some other sites have warranty on regular atomizers but not on the LR. Using these on 3.7 volts is like using a regular 510 on a 6.0 volt. I found that even regular atomizers on 6.0 do not last very long. I finally started using HV on the 6.0. Atomizers are far too expensive to use one every couple of days or even receive them DOA (when there is no warranty)

Drewsworld

Resting In Peace
Mar 14, 2009
New Jersey
www.nhaler.com
I will replace DOA attys if they are returned and they are actually DOA...I tested every single one of these and pulled out everyone that wasn't the right reading...I also know how to check an atomizer and determine if it is actually DOA...
Everyone wants thier attys to last...I would love to offer everyone a fool proof atty but they dont exist as far as I know...I have spent months testing these things and I am constantly working on improving them...Its become an obsession with me actually...I simply cant afford to replace everyone that pops for whatever reason...
I will have other ones eventually for less money and better but for right now this is as good as it gets...
Drew

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
I will replace DOA attys if they are returned and they are actually DOA...I tested every single one of these and pulled out everyone that wasn't the right reading...I also know how to check an atomizer and determine if it is actually DOA...
Everyone wants thier attys to last...I would love to offer everyone a fool proof atty but they dont exist as far as I know...I have spent months testing these things and I am constantly working on improving them...Its become an obsession with me actually...I simply cant afford to replace everyone that pops for whatever reason...
I will have other ones eventually for less money and better but for right now this is as good as it gets...
Drew

All my 510 LR's have worked with no problems from drew. Thanks..

Drewsworld

Resting In Peace
Mar 14, 2009
New Jersey
www.nhaler.com
To explain...I would love to think that everyone is honest and give people in general the benefit of the doubt....However I also have had people return other vendors products SWEARING they got them from me...I also mark all my batteries with an ultraviolet pen now and have had people send back items that were older than the marking...
I also had someone on this board report that they had a DOA atty and when I asked them to send it back so I could check and replace it they said it died after 24 hours, when they previously said it was DOA...
Again I would LOVE to have Bullet Proof Products, but they just dont make them yet...
People who are saying other companies warranty thier attys for X amount of time???You can buy 2 of mine for the price of one of thiers...So if you buy 2 here you will allready have the replacement!!!!

Rambosmurf

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2010
Hudson Valley, NY
I got my LR attys and all are working great. Light primer that burned off real quick and they were good to go. They were not soaked in Primer like the regular 510 attys. Started off using them real cautious but as time went by I use them just like a regular atty(OK, a little shorter due to not needing that long inhale).
Yes, the carts are not as tight (scuff cart with light sandpaper, scuffpad..problem gone)
Absolutely no complains from me. All are still going strong and vape way better than the regular attys.
I'm glad we have people like Drew who take our vaping to the next level. Great job sir, keep it up. No matter what, you will never please everybody and will always encounter people who try to stick it to you.
Bottom line for me is this atty has been the best 12 bucks I spent on vaping items so far.
RS

AiricR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Drew I ordered 5 and 2 are poofed.. Im a bit frazzled at the moment because ive been trying all of your juices and your samples you so graciously threw in LOL...Im gonna send these back to you and just wanted to give you the heads up.

The one is bent at the threads and wouldnt let me put the cone on my tornado on...and the 2nd one just burnt everything i put into it and eventually itself after 3 tries...

They are both dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread