Machine-puffed e-cigs yielded vapor containing exactly what you’d expect, and not much else

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
One thing I don't quite get. I've always assumed that studies carried out by big tobacco would be biased in favour of their business needs. Also assumed that BT were eager to sink vaping. Now they put out the results of a study that looks really good for vaping.

Maybe they are hoping to argue that their ecigs are good but other ecigs are bad, although that would be a hard case to make credibly.
Big Tobacco is taking the route of it's all good as long as it is regulated, tamper-proof, and approved by the FDA.
Which means cigalikes only, which hands them the entire market.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Wow this is an awesome study and even done by BT?
Makes me smiley:vapor:

Of course by BT ... I bet ma favourite vape that they were the very first to study e-cigs and liquids.
Any BT CEO worth just fraction of bonus would check out the opposition and try to find a ..... in the armor, try to find some stuff on my opponent with which to boot him off my turf. If they'd found anything remotely substantial they would have frogmarched lines of lobbyists through the movers' and shakers' offices.
The very fact they grasping at straws ( misquoted research, biases 'studies', spin-doctored PR-pieces, media manipulation ) is for me the best proof that vaping is jes fine :)

I reckon that study was intended to kept under wraps. Classical leak, IMO

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I've been nothing but frustrated since I've quit the stinkies. No one in my real world zone considers me as having 'quit', they see vaping as exactly the same, or worse. I guess I need to make them read this.

But they won't.

Print it out, hand it to them, and stand there while they read it. :D People seem to take "printed" reading matter far more seriously than anything online. :blink:

Andria

soysos

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2013
United States
You'll get nothing but smiles from me as long as it's pure science in a study and not like some of those other well known studies like the formaldehyde one. :pervy:

If you look at the original study, and not a second hand interpretation, it was actually done very well and was positive for vaping. The problem is that one of the things found is that if one puts to much power through an atomizer it can produce toxins. regardless of the positives of this study this one section is what everybody wants to focus on.

NOVA jon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2014
Northern virginia
Big Tobacco is taking the route of it's all good as long as it is regulated, tamper-proof, and approved by the FDA.

Laying the ground work! Since vaping isn't going anywhere anytime soon, this will be "twisted" to only include "their" product.

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
I've been nothing but frustrated since I've quit the stinkies. No one in my real world zone considers me as having 'quit', they see vaping as exactly the same, or worse. I guess I need to make them read this.

But they won't.

LE -- I wouldn't worry so much as what they think vaping is..you will feel better about yourself as time goes by,..and there is always those that you can "prove" vaping isn't anything like smoking my simply sticking their head in a garbage can and asking them,.."there..do I still smell like this" I'm sure their minds will be changed up a bit. :D

Last edited:

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
Laying the ground work! Since vaping isn't going anywhere anytime soon, this will be "twisted" to only include "their" product.

Could be..but you forget the China Factor..What's to prevent anyone from buying eliquids and mods out their ying yang from China..? Nothing is. ;)

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    ..no worry so much about being accused of plagiarism..

If I'm about to copy/pasta something directly from an article, first I state that that's what I'm about to do, then enclose that text with blank quote tags and/or bold tags and/or put hyphens above and below it. I always include a link to the original article as well.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    Print it out, hand it to them, and stand there while they read it. :D People seem to take "printed" reading matter far more seriously than anything online.

Andria

Oh, so true! Even if one states that what they're reading has been printed from an online article.. :blink:

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana

Right. The laws being debated in Indiana explicitly exclude cigalikes. I think they use language like tamper proof, less than 2 mls of juice, etc. There would be no regulations or controls or taxes on them. They could be sold anywhere like today, whereas the non-BT products would be effectively banned.

They must be very sure of themselves to write laws this blatant. We have to hope that they have underestimated the strength of the opposition.

Sirius

Star Puppy
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 19, 2013
    North Carolina
    U.S. Customs.

From the blog "Customs and International Trade Law"

"Smoking Cessation Products"

Products that are marketed for therapeutic purposes, like electronic cigarettes claiming to help you stop smoking, will continue to be regulated as medical products under the FDA’s existing drug and device authorities in the FD&C Act.
    E-Cigs "Deemed" Tobacco Under New FDA Proposed Rule | Customs and International Trade Law Blog

There's ways around these things..and the Chinese are masters at this sort of thing.
    I would even go so far as to say the proof is out there that e-cigs are helping thousands upon thousands stop smoking. It's just going to take time before a pier review paper is written and reviewed..and a similar (not written for scientists and in terms easily understood is released) Thus proving scientifically that ecigs are devices that are therapeutically helping smokers kick the cigarettes. That should have already been done..Idk what's the hold up on that one.

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    they must have done something wrong cuz... all the other tests show formaldehyde, heavy metals, cancer causing stuff, instant death to children due to flavors, and something that "looked" like smoke.... orrrrr they finally did a test that is more in line with how vaping is done in a real life situation :)

bwh79

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Products that are marketed for therapeutic purposes, like electronic cigarettes claiming to help you stop smoking, will continue to be regulated as medical products

Well it sure is a good thing these are all quite clearly labeled as "recreational" products that were never intended to help anyone quit, then...

Sirius

Star Puppy
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 19, 2013
    North Carolina
    they must have done something wrong cuz... all the other tests show formaldehyde, heavy metals, cancer causing stuff, instant death to children due to flavors, and something that "looked" like smoke.... orrrrr they finally did a test that is more in line with how vaping is done in a real life situation :)

Yeah BK..that's before the paid for my vapers tests that are being done just now..(again..I fail to see why this wasn't foreseen) by Dr Konstantinos Farsalinos
    Evaluation of the cytotoxic potential of e-cigarette vapor on cultured cardiac cells: a new study

Seems this has renewed the interests in serious testing. Of course this takes money and people tend to await the ominous threat of the FDA and government taking away something that they use and like to do anything about it. These tests should have been done 10 years ago when ecigs were first getting their start or at the very least 5 years ago when the popularity of ecigs were well known.
    Last ditch attempts work out sometimes but ones that cost money are harder to launch.

PeterLi

Jun 18, 2014
    Indiana, USA
    There's ways around these things..and the Chinese are masters at this sort of thing.

As I was saying about generic drugs from India, the US forbade US credit card companies from doing such transactions. I can't give a link or point to an exact law at the moment, but we (and this includes people I know in Europe) can no longer order online with a credit card like we used to.

Sirius

Star Puppy
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 19, 2013
    North Carolina
    Well it sure is a good thing these are all quite clearly labeled as "recreational" products that were never intended to help anyone quit, then...

Being labeled as a tobacco product is okay though? Even though the only component in ecigs that are related to tobacco is the liquids?
    I'm okay with the liquid being labeled that way if the gums and patches are as well. :)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread