MadVapes Weekly Contest - January 26 through January 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtrpickr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2012
Tennessee
currently I am using VW devices, my carry device is a dna box clone with a Hcigar Kayfun 3.1 running a 1.5ohm micro coil at 12w. my desk device smok bec pro has a dripper with a 1.0ohm micro coil running at 18w. before I got these I was using mechs and really like them but with the VW devices I can check battery, ohms and output with ease and I like that. I do still have a dripper on a mech at my desk to have a different flavor or to try out a new juice.

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
I like and use both 18650 Mechs and Regulated devices, for different reasons.

I love a VV/VW Mod for its Safety features, its Regulated (constant) output, its longer vape times with the same battery over a Mech, and its ability to vary the Watts (I always use Watts). I use them with the AGA-T2. I know I'm antiquated :facepalm:, but I do use Organic Cotton in them and I drilled out the air hole to 2mm. I have one I make Dual Coils in, so I drilled a second hole, and made both of the 2mm. I use 29g Kanthal A1 in every build. I don't have anything powerful enough to warrant using 28g or fatter. Since I'm using VW with the AGA-T2, the single microcoils are generally in the 1.7Ω range, for good coverage on the cotton.

The downside of the PV Mods I have (and have had) is the Ohms threshold of 1.4Ω or so as the Minimum, and a Max of 15W. But on the Mod I have, even though it has a 15W Max in VW mode, since it is a 4 Amp device, if I use a 1.5Ω setup, I can vape at up to 24W in VV mode (6V2/1.5Ω). I find this impressive for an 18650 Tube Mod. A Regulated device is what I use most of the time, and I never take a Mech with me when I go out. I find that Dripping is too much trouble away from home, plus... Don't Vape and Drive!!! For an 18650 device, Mech or otherwise, I'd love to have your EHPro Revel!!! I haven't had any High Power Box Mods or anything like that yet, but I'd love to, and I think the EHPro Revel would be great on a High Power Box Mod, too.

I, too, find that a Mech and Dripper gives better Flavor. With a Kick II in a Mech, I could build a Dual Coil setup down to 0.5Ω, but the limit is still 15W Max. So when I use the Kick, I do it to get better vape time out of a battery. I've been using a 0.75Ω Dual Coil setup in my little HCigar Phoenix v6 Dripper, and depending on the juice, 15W is OK, and sometimes even too much. If I wanted more vapor, I could build a setup with lower Ohms and not use the Kick, but my non-existent vape budget doesn't allow me to get the batteries I'd need to go much lower, so I stay with 0.75Ω so as not to stress the older Panasonic 10A IMR batteries I have too much. With 0.75Ω and no Kick, I'm only drawing a theoretical Max of 5.6A, but I know the Voltage is dropping way below the 4.2V used in that theoretical calculation, so I'm not getting 5.6A, or 23.5W. However, I do get more vapor on the Dual Coil 0.75Ω in a Mech without the Kick. With the Kick set to 15W, that's only 3.354V. I find myself using the Mech and Phoenix more and more in the evenings and at night. I don't have a 26650 Mech either... yet.
:D

I also have the ability to vape at 5V on a true Passthrough rig I made that is connected to a Computer Power Supply. I get 33.33W on the Phoenix that way. Having only that one Dripper, I don't build a different coils setup for the Passthrough, as I don't use it that much. When I first got the Phoenix from a "Take it or Leave it" table at the only Vape meet I've ever been to, in New Orleans, it had a Dual Coil 0.5Ω build in it. It looked like Silica that was wrapped in a dark SS Mesh. I didn't have anything it would work on, so I vaped that puppy at 5V on the Passthrough and got 50W. My Cinnamon Red Hots was GREAT, but the Phoenix got as hot as a light bulb!
:lol:

It's a pretty cool little Dripper, with an adjustable Air Flow ring. I drilled out both air holes to 1/16", which was the largest I could get them without damaging the Air Flow ring. While 1/16" is kinda small, because there are two holes, I can still lung hit it. It's pretty tiny, but I don't stuff it full of cotton. I just tuck both ends down so they touch the deck and slightly overlap at only the ends, and I can get up to 24 drops of 100% VG juice in it when it's dry, because there is still lots of well space for juice to puddle in. A refill can be up to 16 drops in this tiny thing. I have better luck this way, rather than filling the well full of cotton, which takes up so much juice space. The cotton always sucks up everything from the deck.

Thanks for the contest and another chance to win. :)

Last edited:

Teach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Florida
I've always preferred the VV/VW mods for the ability to adjust the vape without recoiling. I've tried a couple of low end mechs, but didn't like them enough to stay with them... into the "over-it" box. Would a better quality device give better results... probably, but haven't felt the need to switch - I haven't decided whether I'm cheap or lazy... or maybe just a lazy cheapskate!

morristab4

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
I like the mech mod overdose with the plum v1 rda with a 24 gauge triple wrap duel coil at about 0.13 ohm I love the mech because of the massive thunder clouds along with the greatest flavor that most tank type systems just can't provide another great plus to useing the rda is all the vape tricks you could do mechanical mods and rda's have made my vapeing experience so much better and taster lol

morristab4

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
I like the mech mod overdose with the plum v1 rda with a 24 gauge triple wrap duel coil at about 0.13 ohm I love the mech because of the massive thunder clouds along with the greatest flavor that most tank type systems just can't provide another great plus to useing the rda is all the vape tricks you could do mechanical mods and rda's have made my vapeing experience so much better and taster lol

my current go to setups are simply semi-mech mods, one wooden box and one sidewider, and simple vivi nova tanks with 1.5 ohm dual coils-with stainless tubes. I am running regular ol 18650 IMR e-fest batteries in them. Simple and easy. I do have a LB rda on order though, tried my sons and loved it. Also have in my arsenal a SID, my first real mod... but I am having a challenge to find a good tank for it. I think it works best with a DCT carto-tank for around the house relaxing, and it is too big and embarrassing to take out in public so it does not get much use.

Overall, the semi mechanical with the vivi tanks is my go to setup. I would love to try the tobh.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I prefer regulated mods, although I have several mechs in my collection. I like getting a consistent vape across the battery charge.

I'm typically using a Tesla VV/VW, or an SVD, and currently liking my new Tesla VIII. All my "big" mods have their own KF style or Lemo on top, all coiled to about 1.4 Ω (since most of my tubes won't go below 1.2, although the VIII is rated down to 0.5)

For backup, or for when I just want something lighter in my hands (as when driving), I still have a few 1300 and up Spinner types. Those usually have PT2 or Davide glassos on them, with rebuilt heads. I tend to wind them to 1.8.

Thanks for the opportunity and the fun! :toast:

KC1BLE

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Concord
My favorite is my Kato mech mod. It can really take a beating and thats what I need. I also use my MVP2.0's and some day may be a reonaut, but for now it's definitely my Kato with the KFL topper. I have no 26650 mods yet, but would be really anxious to add one to my collection. I am still fairly new to the scene and love to try new things all the time. My wife says I am addicted to the shinies, and I agree :vapor:

super dave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2012
1 Mile High
To be eligible to win this week, answer this question: Do you prefer mechanical mods or variable mods, and why? Add some context as to what you normally vape; clearomizers, sub-ohm, RDAs, etc.

I prefer both & use each for a purpose and or just nice switching from one to another but then again I'm happy with an ego battery and a kanger II mini! I have a mechanical with two 18650's that's great for sub-ohm and works well with a higher ohm set up also. I have two other mech's that are great also...love the mechanicals and I make sure I use the right high amp drain batteries. I'm progressing with RBA's & am now able to fine tune my mech's per the right resistance to allow for a more pleasureful vape. Blowing clouds is one thing but great flavor is magnificent!
With the new technology, the VV/VW mods are amazing for most any set up and I like that you can adjust volts/watts per most anything and also able to see your readings of volts/watts, ohms, battery, etc and be able to turn it off & on & also all the protection they have. I don't have one of the new mighty ones yet but will soon but I do have a few older ones that work very well and also my go to pro tanks with replaceable coils that I like to rebuild too & still use my ego's & mini tanks for on the go. So if that answers the question, as I prefer both and I'm also open for suggestions on most anything & everything and not afraid to try something, as I'm still on the endless quest for the perfection vape! :laugh: :vapor:

2DresQ36

Oct 12, 2014
Charlotte, NC, USA
WOW!!!! That's a tough one. Let's see... When I'm at home, I prefer to use my mechanical mod and dripper ( Maraxus w/ Zenith RDA) because I can't beat the flavor. When I'm out and about, I prefer to use my MVP w/ Kayfun Nano because the flavor is as close to a dripper as you can get without the constant feeding.
Good luck everyone!!!

DEAc23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2014
Washington
Well considering I have never even held a mech mod I would have to say that I prefer variable voltage/wattage devices. I am a little bit interested in trying a mech, but I haven't been interested enough to buy one, since my P3 does everything I need it to :)

Although I did just recently get more involved in building coils, so maybe it's time for me to try out a mech...I'm thinking maybe an EHPro New Yorker :laugh:

SLane

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
North Carolina
I've tried a lot of things over the years. My best vape at this point is an ego type VV device such as Smok Winders or Vision Spinners. I was buying the different colors but as they break, I'm replacing them with black or blue going back to the old school ego look. I've also found I prefer the smaller 400/650 mAh than the bigger 900/1000/1300 mAh. I'm 5'3" smallish person with small hands and even though I may need to change batteries more often, they fit better and feel better in my hands. I also still prefer the vape from a top coil such as Vivi Novas even though I have tried protanks and areotank bottom coils. So my best vape so far, is an ego type VV set at apx. 4.0V with a top coil wick of apx. 2.4 Ohm.

During the 250.00 contest, I visited NorthLake MadVapes to look at the mechanicals and RBA/RDAs. I've known for a while I wanted to try these and while I was there I bought the Magneto II in black. I really liked the way it looked which is probably not the smartest was to chose a mechanical but luckily it works just fine. I also bought the Kayfun 3.1 and the EHPro Quasar RDA. I'm still learning these and my coils are not exactly pretty but they work. If I can do this, anyone can do this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread