Status
Not open for further replies.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
As a matter of fact, just checked my email, Kostas had asked for pictures to further explain my problem, guess English isn't greek to them, or something like that:lol: So I sent him a couple pics and told him I was lucky since my El Siligilo would accept the Estia hybrid. He responded
Kostas said:
Hi
i see my friend
Monday we will send you on base 510

Thanks a lot

so should be here by Wednesday. Damn, another wake up call at 15:00 in the morning. Also told him a bud from work was so impressed that he will probably buy one too.

Slowly but surely, the Vapers are overtaking the smokers in the smokersVapers edr, employees dinning room. When the kitchen crew gets off, they usually wait around in the break room until I get a break, especially if they are having vape issues, or questions. There were some serious clouds there tonight, couldn't see the smoke through the Vape, there were six of us, and think I saw 13 mods present, 3 being mine. :D

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Here's a few shots of the Magma mounted and wicked vertically.

nZGhEse.jpg
nUovcmc.jpg
W4Aizh3.jpg

vg6vSoD.jpg

Seems to work quite well:D I basically used a single strand of Ramie fiber, pre wetted it with juice, then proceeded to thread it between the two coils, and the around the outside, and the surrounding the eniter build then tucking the 2 wick tails down in the inside ending in opposing crater lake juice wells.

Reminded me more of lashing and knot tying than wicking, so tis why I called it the "boyscout" :lol: My intentions was to help control any side slosh from the drip well, reducing drizzle out the side air hole, and minimize excess air space in the build dome. Do find I have to fill the lake twice, first fill, the mass amount of wick soaks up, ready to vape, and then fill the crater lake well back up, so basically, I drip about 3 ml's of juice with the Magma wicked boyscout style :facepalm:

lidl_yogurt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Po
Here's a few shots of the Magma mounted and wicked vertically.

nZGhEse.jpg
nUovcmc.jpg
W4Aizh3.jpg

vg6vSoD.jpg

Seems to work quite well:D I basically used a single strand of Ramie fiber, pre wetted it with juice, then proceeded to thread it between the two coils, and the around the outside, and the surrounding the eniter build then tucking the 2 wick tails down in the inside ending in opposing crater lake juice wells.

Reminded me more of lashing and knot tying than wicking, so tis why I called it the "boyscout" :lol: My intentions was to help control any side slosh from the drip well, reducing drizzle out the side air hole, and minimize excess air space in the build dome. Do find I have to fill the lake twice, first fill, the mass amount of wick soaks up, ready to vape, and then fill the crater lake well back up, so basically, I drip about 3 ml's of juice with the Magma wicked boyscout style :facepalm:

Could you show some more detailed pictures of the wicking process or maybe a small video showing it?
I would really love to try it. Do you pre-boil your ramie?
Many thanks in advance.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Could you show some more detailed pictures of the wicking process or maybe a small video showing it?
I would really love to try it. Do you pre-boil your ramie?
Many thanks in advance.

Ditto, I'm looking for new builds on the Mags but I can't see how you built it.

Haven't had a chance to rebuild a Mag yet, have other rba's taking priority right now, but one mag is in the to rebuild line, just at the back:D But when I do, will take some pic's, of the Vert's and how I wick it, wick it good:lol::D

Crap, showing my age again. Just threw Mag on the Raptor and dialed it up to 100, voltage output reads 4.1 so put it back on the Torched Zodiac Dragon. :lol:

Have the flashi and Buddha on tap for a rebuild, and need to wind up some coils so will crank out a bunch, may be able to squeeze out the Magma after the Blockwatch annual meeting, that is if I don't sleep in to late:D

MrOcelot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2013
New Glarus,WI,USA
Leak proof would take the magma out of contention right away. It doesn't necessarily leak but if you over drip amd tip that baby it's leaking. The magma is way easier to build than the veritas. The flavor in my opinion is very close with the magma a tiny bit better. The veritas has never leaked a drop for me. With a .5ish single coil it is outstanding. The veritas will also have a little better airflow. Hope this helps.

taxciter

Jun 21, 2010
Virginia Beach
I've been using the Magma (a decent clone) as my only dripper for a couple months now. Here's what I have learned:
It's great.
I like the no-o-ring construction - one less thing to replace or go bad.
AIR ADJUSTMENT - I don't use the air-adjust ring. Dual coils and wide-open full flow is just right. The removed ring is used as a stand when resting the Magma on my tabletop.
COILS - I use Kanthal 28 gauge wire wrapped in tight 2.5 to 3mm diameter horizontal coils suspended about 1.5mm above the air holes - about 2 to 3 Ohms each. That gives me an overall parallel resistance of 1 to 1.5 ohms, and a decent wire surface area. Coils too close to the air holes may result in juice following the small gap along the deck and leaking out the holes.
POWER - I vape most juices at 18 - 20 Watts, and use regulated mods (usually with a DNA-30 chip) to adjust the power to the Magma. Some juices are best at 8 - 10 Watts, some fully bloom at 20W or higher. The Magma seems to allow full savor of any flavor!
JUICE - I generally use max VG juice. I'm making my own now.
WICK - I use 6.5 x 5.5mm (2 x 2-1/2") Shiseido Japanese cotton squares cut "with the grain" in strips about 4 to 5mm (3/16") wide. That gives me one strip that I cut in half to get two wicks that need no further trimming, fit firmly inside the coils, and trail down into the bottom of the wells. I make sure the wicks don't get too close to the air holes (to prevent leaking).
FILLING - I prefer to take the cap off to see where the juice is going. When refilling "normally" through the tip-hole, it's easy for the juice to run down the posts, onto the deck, down the air holes, and out the sides. If I do use the tip-hole, I use a needle bottle to deliver the juice all the way to bottom-center. I've found that the sweet spot for aligning the threads of the cap to the threads of the base can be found by comparing the position of the logos to the position of the air holes. Memorize that start position and you can save time and aggravation.
SCREWS - The set screws are standard thread M3 screws (Screw Thread Pitch: 0.5mm). I like the hex type and bought a few extra online. To find them search for M3 x 4 cup SS. M3 is the 3mm diameter, 4 is the 4mm length, cup is the shape of the bottom end (my preference), and SS is stainless steel. The hex wrench that fits is 1.5mm. This is what my clone takes and I'd be surprised if any other version uses a different screw specification. And if you want slotted or Phillips set screws, M3 is the size you want - I'd try a 4mm length and be real careful not to use screws long enough to contact the inside of the Magma cap!
WHAT NEXT? - I'll soon be using Nickel coils and higher wattage when I get my first DNA-40 box built.

Reactions: Lethalp

taxciter

Jun 21, 2010
Virginia Beach
My early impressions of this Magma / DNA-40 build are all very good. Tasty as hell and nothing gets burned. The Nickel coils seemed to taste different than Kanthal at first, but after vaping one juice-load that taste is gone.
REGULATED MOD: Evolv DNA-40 inside a generic box with all the usual switches, USB charger board, etc., and one Efest IMR 18650 2500mAh 35A battery.
COILS: Approx. 3.5mm i.d., 15 wraps, Ni200 26 gauge
COIL PREPARATION: wind and mount on atty, separate windings to prevent shorts, fire until red hot (if using the DNA-40, turn off temperature limiting), pinch windings together and test fire again while checking for hot spots, etc. Some say Nickel will easily short between windings but I am not experiencing that with this build. Nickel is also softer than Kanthal, so take care accordingly. <- 2nd edit: I've been advised that making Ni200 red-hot may not be safe, so in the future I'll be using TP set at 600° to test my coils. I will also be wrapping around a screw to help get good coil spacing.
COIL RESISTANCE: The DNA-40 indicates that this parallel pair of coils presents a total of 0.07 Ohms cold, and 0.14 Ohms hot. The DNA-40 displays (and memorizes) the increase in resistance as the coil heats up during the first firing. <- (edit: other ecf members have pointed out that this "hot resistance" info is suspect and I will report back after doing my next build. In any case, this 0.07 Ohm build is lower than specified but seems to work properly.) <- 2nd edit: Probably due to my lower-than-specified coil resistance, after sitting for awhile the DNA-40 is first firing in TP OFF mode (hence the changing temperature display). I failed to notice this and I apologize for that. Then it consistently switches to TP mode during subsequent firings.
WICKS: Japanese cotton squares cut into strips "with the grain", just wide enough to slide through coils easily when dry and swell up tight when wet.
JUICE: "Max. VG" (In reality "max VG" means PG-based flavors can make the juice VG/PG, about 16% PG in my latest recipe.)
DNA-40: For now, set at 25W, 380°F - the temperature limit doesn't engage unless it gets dry or I put some serious serial suckage on it.

DNA-40-Magma-nickel-build-2.jpg
Magma-nickel-build-2-side1.jpg
Magma-nickel-build-2-side2.jpg
Magma-nickel-build-2-top1.jpg
Magma-nickel-build-2-top2.jpg

Last edited:

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
has anybody tried taking out the white spacer inside the well?

after several week using my magma and veritas with the same liquid, I feel pretty sure that plastic in the magma is causing an off taste.

Ahh you mean the insulator? Yes it is included precisely to cause an off taste. All my attys have some and they all taste off.
I kid but seriously doubt the insulator has any taste much less any taste leaching into your juice.
After you remove it will you send the Magma to me for parts? I kid again, well not really. :)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Ahh you mean the insulator? Yes it is included precisely to cause an off taste. All my attys have some and they all taste off.
I kid but seriously doubt the insulator has any taste much less any taste leaching into your juice.
After you remove it will you send the Magma to me for parts? I kid again, well not really. :)

I don't think it's so much an insulator (electrical); apparently it's a spacer; I think the center pin might be a sort of "Z" arrangement instead of a straight line;

anyway the 22mm on on fasttech does not have the spacer:

1754904-2.jpg

I've ordered one of those weeks ago. waiting.
but all the others do.
1852803-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread